Is my tool dying? (Craftsman All-in-one, but could be any drill-like tool)

Abquid

I recently purchased a Craftsman All-in-One rotary tool (Sears' version of the Rotozip) on ebay. Though it's the top of the line 5.5-amp model, it seems very weak to me. The cutting wheel will come to a stop when pushed even cutting thin plastic, and this tool should be able to cut metal. I also notice a strong electric-y (ozone?) smell when it is running.

Is this a sign that the electric motor is burned out, or in the process of burning out? Is this something that I could repair (or get repaired) by something like replacing the brushes, etc? I'm not a master builder but I know how to use basic power tools and don't push them or abuse them and I can't believe that this is normal performance for this tool. Thanks for your time!

I am not sure what is going on with craftsman. I had a table saw that the motor went bad in two weeks, I took it back for a replacement and have had it for two years. Works great. I seen other people complaining about the same problem with craftsman. Maybe they need better quality control. Was this a new toll. If so you have a warranty just go get another. If it is used maybe te previous owner was hard on it. Even though it is a 5.5, it is still designed for home use. Maybe the guy was cutting into stuff he shouldn't have. It sounds like the motor to me

x2 on the motor failing. If this unit was purchased new then don't spend one more minute of your time on it just return it for a replacemnt. If the unit was used, unfortunatly a brush replacment

probabley won't help the problem. The armature or field coil is failing and with such a small tool the repair will be worth more than the tool.

Corey