Dust collection

jbw55

While discussing orbital sanders in another post a few mentioned Dust Deputy, I've known about these but always just used my shop vac with a hepa filter with the dust minimal (mainly on small projects) but recently I've been doing larger projects. I've just completed re-doing the walls in two rooms....skim coat, sand and texture....the shop vac with hepa filter does fairly well in regards to dust but its a PITA cleaning the filter often and makes a big mess plus it just destroys the filters. Need something fairly portable as I will be dragging it from room to room. Thoughts??

dust deputy runs about $50 and is probably the best $50 you will spend on dust collection coupled with a good shop vac, I will not run my shop vac without it and just a tidbit after probably 14 or more bucket dumps so far, anywhere from chips to fine drywall dust the shop vac filter is still like brand new....best thing about it is when running the power of suction does not change..... stays at full power all the time or until the bucket is full. I only ran in to that one time so I just check it and dump it every few days regardless how much is in it......here is a link to my set up when I first got it earlier this year..http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/5503-dust-extractionthe-beginning/?hl=%2Bdust+%2Bdeputy

• Like 1

dust deputy runs about $50 and is probably the best $50 you will spend on dust collection coupled with a good shop vac, I will not run my shop vac without it and just a tidbit after probably 14 or more bucket dumps so far, anywhere from chips to fine drywall dust the shop vac filter is still like brand new....best thing about it is when running the power of suction does not change..... stays at full power all the time or until the bucket is full. I only ran in to that one time so I just check it and dump it every few days regardless how much is in it......here is a link to my set up when I first got it earlier this year..http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/5503-dust-extractionthe-beginning/?hl=%2Bdust+%2Bdeputy

Comp56.....checked out the link, you did a great job there and is exactly what I'm looking for and the price is right   ::) thanks!!

Inspired by comp56 thanks much......here is my dust deputy, had a empty pool chemical bucket laying around it has a locking twist lid that's pretty air tight so decided this would suit me better, I hate the snap lids. Tried it out and I'm shocked how well it works, $50 well spent in my book ::)

post-51163-0-76172400-1437433750_thumb.j

Inspired by comp56 thanks much......here is my dust deputy, had a empty pool chemical bucket laying around it has a locking twist lid that's pretty air tight so decided this would suit me better, I hate the snap lids. Tried it out and I'm shocked how well it works, $50 well spent in my book ::)

dustdeputy.JPG

. Nice buy man I'm still lagging in this category I really need to jump aboard.

• 2 months later...

I bought a dust deputy and thought it was fantastic. I wanted to come up with something that attached the dust deputy, bucket, and vac together. I had time this weekend and came up with this. I was also able to include my I-vac unit as well.

post-44497-0-92771200-1443995047_thumb.j

post-44497-0-77004300-1443995059_thumb.j

post-44497-0-46885800-1443995054_thumb.j

I built the base out of some scrap 1/2" ply. The ridgid casters fit a 2" ABS coupling perfectly. I used 1&1/2" ABS for the vac tool storage.

post-44497-0-98647300-1443995067_thumb.j

I built a removable "J" pipe to attach the vac and dust deputy from 2" ABS and a couple rubber fittings.

post-44497-0-42288000-1443995073_thumb.j

Everything works great. The unit is completely portable and can be carried with one hand by the vac handle. Just need to lengthen the cord a bit on the I-vac.

I bought a dust deputy and thought it was fantastic. I wanted to come up with something that attached the dust deputy, bucket, and vac together. I had time this weekend and came up with this. I was also able to include my I-vac unit as well.

attachicon.gifIMG_3263.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3266.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3265.JPG

I built the base out of some scrap 1/2" ply. The ridgid casters fit a 2" ABS coupling perfectly. I used 1&1/2" ABS for the vac tool storage.

attachicon.gifIMG_3267.JPG

I built a removable "J" pipe to attach the vac and dust deputy from 2" ABS and a couple rubber fittings.

attachicon.gifIMG_3268.JPG

Everything works great. The unit is completely portable and can be carried with one hand by the vac handle. Just need to lengthen the cord a bit on the I-vac.

Looks great....I was thinking along the same lines but haven't got around to it yet LOL!. I want to do something that I can remove the DD quickly for just the shop vac duties with out having to lug both around. 

with my set up 6.5HP shop vac, dust deputy and 12 foot of 4" flex hose I am considering getting a second set up for the other side of the shop. I don't want a 20ft hose. the first set up services  my bigger tools that kinda stay put and I figure the other one will help out on the far bench