Cordless blowers - Dewalt 20v vs EGO

I've had the EGO for a while now and I've been happy with it overall. It doesn't have the power of my little stihl gas blower but it's been handy for small stuff.

I've been eyeing the new DeWalt blowers for a while now. I debated for a while if I wanted to add another battery platform. I like the design style of the 20v Dewalt better than the 40v. I decided to go ahead and pick one up yesterday.

I had some time this afternoon to use the Dewalt and EGO back to back. I blew some leaves, hickory nuts, grass clippings.

Here are my thoughts.

First of all let discuss power. I know what you are thinking. 56V vs 20V There shouldn't be any comparison, but they are closer than you might imagine. The Dewalt has a little more power than the EGO set on high. The EGO has slightly more power with the turbo button pressed. I used them in the yard and I was able to move about the same size stuff with both blowers.

Ergonomics go without a doubt to the Dewalt. The variable speed trigger is awesome. Throttle response is great on the Dewalt. The ego has a lengthy delay when you press the trigger. I know this may not seem like a big deal but it is really nice to be able to blow small stuff out of the flower beds then press the trigger and blast stuff off the drive way. On the EGO you have to adjust the speed with your other hand. Balance is also much better on the Dewalt. The EGO balances on the trigger. The trigger is long and placed where you really need to be holding the handle. Maybe it would be better with a bigger battery. I only have the 2AH. It almost feels like you have to drop the front of the blower to release the trigger. If you want to keep the front level you have to really torque the handle. The Dewalt feels natural in your hand.

The Dewalt 20v is the clear winner for me. Now I just have to stay away from the Dewalt trimmers.

Anyone want to buy an EGO?

• Like 1

great comparison C harris. I just bought the Dewalt but I'm not sure if I want to keep it or go with a stihl residential model for about the same money. I am leaning towards keeping it mainly because when it's 5f outside I can just pop in a battery and go rather than deal with a gas model when my fingers are numb. Besides I got it for $179 and that battery is a great addition to my collection.

I've had the EGO for a while now and I've been happy with it overall. It doesn't have the power of my little stihl gas blower but it's been handy for small stuff.

I've been eyeing the new DeWalt blowers for a while now. I debated for a while if I wanted to add another battery platform. I like the design style of the 20v Dewalt better than the 40v. I decided to go ahead and pick one up yesterday.

I had some time this afternoon to use the Dewalt and EGO back to back. I blew some leaves, hickory nuts, grass clippings.

Here are my thoughts.

First of all let discuss power. I know what you are thinking. 56V vs 20V There shouldn't be any comparison, but they are closer than you might imagine. The Dewalt has a little more power than the EGO set on high. The EGO has slightly more power with the turbo button pressed. I used them in the yard and I was able to move about the same size stuff with both blowers.

Ergonomics go without a doubt to the Dewalt. The variable speed trigger is awesome. Throttle response is great on the Dewalt. The ego has a lengthy delay when you press the trigger. I know this may not seem like a big deal but it is really nice to be able to blow small stuff out of the flower beds then press the trigger and blast stuff off the drive way. On the EGO you have to adjust the speed with your other hand. Balance is also much better on the Dewalt. The EGO balances on the trigger. The trigger is long and placed where you really need to be holding the handle. Maybe it would be better with a bigger battery. I only have the 2AH. It almost feels like you have to drop the front of the blower to release the trigger. If you want to keep the front level you have to really torque the handle. The Dewalt feels natural in your hand.

The Dewalt 20v is the clear winner for me. Now I just have to stay away from the Dewalt trimmers.

Anyone want to buy an EGO?

Good review..

I had to travel up to IN this week for work.

I came home and found that that my wife had been using the Dewalt blower. She had cleaned off our back porch and drive way. That had never happened with the EGO. I asked what she thought and she said it worked great. I asked if she liked how the controls worked and she said it just seemed natural. I had tried to get her to use the EGO before and she hated the trigger and controls. She commented on how light the DeWalt felt.

If that's not a huge recommendation I don't know what it.

My big question though is runtime. 56V EGO should have roughly 2.8 higher runtime than the dewalt, both using the same Ah battery. 

If that extra weight and loss of comfort takes you from 5 minute run time on high to 14 mins, lots of people would take it.

The EGO is a 2ah 56v battery and the DeWalt has a 5ah 20v.

I also think there is some runtime gains with being able to easily feather the trigger on the DeWalt. With the EGO you end up running it at one speed and hitting the turbo button for a boost.

Oh yeah fair enough. I suppose the 4Ah battery would be a different kettle of fish (and different pricepoint too).

• 1 month later...