DeWALT Titanium Pilot Point Drill Bits

roadhog96

Anyone use these and like them? I've been searching for info on these and it seems they have had mostly good with some bad ratings. The only real negative I've read was that if you drilled a hole and wanted to enlarge it with another pilot point it won't work because of the design of the tip. You need a 135 degree split point taper bit because they self center themselves. If you want to drill a specific size hole first shot they are great. I think they are primarily used for drilling in metal but obviously will work on just about anything.

For a set of general use drill bits those are one of the best options.  The largest downside I see with the pilot point is difficulty of sharpening which is probably more effort than it's worth.  I think the saved time and cost from not needing a spotting drill is worth the cost to replace dull bits though since they last quite a long time for the price.  

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with Dewalt drill bits.

I have this set http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Titanium-Pilot-Point-Drill-Bit-Set-14-Piece-DW1354/202019930

Although I only use them for wood, they work great, it's nice not having to use a center punch.  I have not tried the situation you mentioned yet, using a bigger size bit after already drilling a smaller hole.  I will test it out, and let you know the results.  I have drilled hundreds of holes on my drill press into 1/2 - 3/4 inch Baltic Birch, with the smallest bit, and it has not broke yet.  I need to do this on my Scroll Saw patterns, for interior cuts.

-Steven