Makita XPH07 hammer drill

Peter Argyropoulos

So for my first non-intro post, I'm going to relate my experience with the XPH07 drill as a part of the XT257M kit from Home Depot (online only at this point).

First off, it's a badass beast, no doubt, but it fell short for me as a pro user - twice. I bought it based on online reviews praising its power, and no complaints in that respect, but the chuck was an epic fail in my experience. I ended up exchanging it once and finally returning the second unit because the chucks on both of the drills refused to lock most of the time. They would get to where the sprag clutch should be getting tight then sounded like all hell was breaking loose inside the chuck and never tighten, allowing me to spin the clutch and motor by hand. The only way to lock the bit in the chuck was to hold the chuck and run the drill which isn't safe or convenient to do with a hex shank auger bit or a hole saw in a drill as powerful as this one is. I lost one bit in the floor from this, and spent a lot of time pissed off on the job. When I finally returned it to a different store from where I bought the first one and exchanged it for the second one, I checked out one of the XPH07 drills they had on display and was able to get it to start sounding chowdery as well. This has to be a series issue and not just that the first two I owned got through QC late on a Friday.

I'm curious whether anyone else has had this same experience or not with the XPH07.

I habe that same kit. I have only had it for a month or two but have used it pretty extensively over my other drills. I just used it last night drilling some holes with the 1-3\8" paddle bits and did not seem to notice anything. I will keep my eye on it though and see if I have the same issue. Do you remember about how long you had used them before you noticed the issue? It could be that I just haven't used mine as much as you did yet too. Hopefully I don't have the issue because I really like the drill.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sad, since the chuck is just awesome when it works. Have had it for 7-8 months or so, and love it. Especially the chuck, with good grip (large metall) and very easy to thighten really hard.

Only weird thing is if I widen the chuck to max capacity (open it up max) until it stops. Then when you want to tighten it, it automaticly starts the ratcheting action. Not a problem at all, and I belive it is becouse it gets a little resistance when you first try to close the chuck from fully open jaw. And it "think" its a bit.

Anyways, also the handle could need better grip on the drill. After a few hard kickback/large self feeding drill-bits (4-1/2"), it feels a little loose.

With the two drills I had the problem started almost instantly. By the time I took the second one back the series had been discontinued, so the only option would have been to get another one shipped (it's still sold online) or upgrade to the new Milwaukee kit with the new, 1200 in-lb drill. Since I had gotten the Makita at a lower price than the Milwaukee, I really didn't feel like forking out another hundred bucks for a brand new, untested tool. 

That problem aside, I think that if the chuck had worked properly I would have been really happy with the drill. It had more than enough power and battery life for what I generally need. The impact driver in the kit was definitely a step down from what I'm used to, which is a Hilti 14.4V with two torque ranges. That thing totally kicks ass for the kind of work that I do, and the Makita in the kit had NONE of the finesse that the Hilti has. So for now I'm back to using my wobbly Hilti impact and my trusty Metabo drill, but I'm looking at upgrading in the next few weeks or months. I'm either going with a new Hilti impact and Hilti drill, or the Hilti impact and a Fein brushless drill. In the meantime, I better go play the lottery ;)

A bit irritating that makita only seem to bundle their worst and cheapest impacts with their top of the line drills. But yeah, it made me buy another one, so I guess the joke is on me. [emoji14]

Not all the time maybe in the big box stores they.match there crappy impact but when i got my makita combo with hammer drill i got there 3 speed impact and its great power speed i love it

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

As a mini follow-up to the story...

I live in Amish country. The Amish started getting into construction pretty heavily back in the 80s and at this point, there are lots of Amish crews all over southeastern Pennsylvania doing work. They use a lot of air and cordless tools and over the years their "farm stores" have turned into pretty decent tool and hardware stores. I stopped by at one of the biggest the other day, wanting to see if they had one of the Makita XTD09's to look at (aka DTD148). They didn't, but they do have bins with bare tools that you can get somewhat cheaper. Well, now I know what happens to the tools you return to Home Depot...