Which Sliding miter saw

JimmyH

• 8 months later...

If it was me, and I was looking for a SMALL miter saw, I would be looking very closely at the Makita LS0714, This saw will cut up to 8" stock at 45 degrees.

If I was a home owner looking to save a buck or two, I would see what the rental companies in my area have to offer. $40 for a weekends work might make this an option.

A regular 10" or 12" chop saw (non slider) should do the trick as well, sometimes simpler tools work out better with a lot less things to get bent or broken, and less chance of it going out of adjustment.

Lowes just recently came out with a Kobalt 7 1/2" SCMS for $109 that would have you covered capacity wise. I will not vouch for this tool, but it might be good enough for one or two jobs....

If it were me, I'd go ahead and get a 10" slider. I say this because the 10" is a lot more versatile and will be more useful in the long run. If you're set on a small saw the Makita Eco mentions is very nice. I've got a 12" Makita LS1225 and I've been very happy with it. If your on a budget Ridgid makes a nice 10" available as a slider or non-sliding.

I must admit it is not often you need a 12 inch slider, that's a hell of a lot of saw.

The 10 inch are great for most things, and also a flip over saw is a real space saver and they cope with most jobs too.

No flip or combination saws for us here in the U.S. :(

I am amazed that they are not available in the U.S.A they are a great tool and very very popular over here because you can do so much with them yet they take up so little room in your Van or truck.

I am used to tools being available your side of the pond but not here, but the other way round is new to me and even more incredible when you think it is Dewalt.

I am amazed that they are not available in the U.S.A they are a great tool and very very popular over here because you can do so much with them yet they take up so little room in your Van or truck.

I wish they were available, tools like Makitas LH1200FL look like they would be the ideal tool for flooring work.

I have never received a straight answer as to why they are not, I have heard both that they may not meet our safety requirements and that there is no market for them here.

They have guards that are at least as good as on individual tools so I can not understand it.

Over here in the U.K they are safety mad it is nicknamed the nanny state because they treat us like children with incredible mind numbing safety protocols that I find insulting they suggest we all have little or no common sense.

So are they saying American users are more likely to hurt themselves using them than Europeans?

If so that is not only very insulting it is down right stupid.