New Products: First thoughts

Conductor562

So, What does every think about the new products we've seen so far from the symposium? I noticed Milwaukee added blade storage to their Fastback knife, that's definitely a good thing. I really like the idea of the cable cutter. Not sure on the M12 SDS though. I guess I can see times where it would be advantageous on a ladder or for overhead work, but it's certainly not going to be the only SDS you'll want in your collection.

I noticed Milwaukee added blade storage to their Fastback knife, that's definitely a good thing.

Where did you see this?

So, What does every think about the new products we've seen so far from the symposium?I really like the idea of the cable cutter. Not sure on the M12 SDS though. I guess I can see times where it would be advantageous on a ladder or for overhead work, but it's certainly not going to be the only SDS you'll want in your collection.

I'm not really sold on the cable cutter, I subscribe to the Keep It Simple, Stupid (KISS) philosophy and don't think a battery powered tool necessary for what can be done quicker manually. I bet it will be a popular tool though. I do think all these compact rotohammers will be pretty useful for finishing tasks and other light duty work, I'll bet they will work great for Tapcons and when I get a chance will probably be purchasing one for myself.

I can't really get excited over the heated jacket as I have been wearing heated vests and jackets for 20+ years when riding my motorcycles in the winter.

Bosch has some pretty steep competition in the tile saw market, I'm wondering how it will stack up against the competition. I do commend Bosch on the floor laser, looks like they may actually have sent someone around to see what people were doing on job sites.

The Fastback blade storage info was on Protool or coptool, don't remember which. Looks like its tucked into the blade arm rather than the handle. I'm sure the M12 SDS will find it's share of use on the job site, I just don't work I'm masonry enough to justify having 2 SDS hammers. Well, come to think of it, I really don't NEED alot of things, but I still want one, lol.

Regarding the M12 rotary hammer, I thought the same thing. What they heck can that tool do. Believe it or not, that tool is awesome. I guess there was a huge market research done on drilling into concrete and about 60% of the holes being drilled into concrete are below a 1/2" which was news to me. This seems perfect for the electrician putting boxes in etc. Can't say everyone will use it, but there is a niche for it. There is no chisel on the tool, guess it is too small.

Bosch had a couple cool things, but the tile saw and floor level was the cooliest.

Regarding the M12 rotary hammer, I thought the same thing. What they heck can that tool do. Believe it or not, that tool is awesome. I guess there was a huge market research done on drilling into concrete and about 60% of the holes being drilled into concrete are below a 1/2" which was news to me. This seems perfect for the electrician putting boxes in etc. Can't say everyone will use it, but there is a niche for it. There is no chisel on the tool, guess it is too small.

Bosch had a couple cool things, but the tile saw and floor level was the cooliest.

Did you by any chance notice how many of their new tools are being offered in systainers or are they offering other storage solutions?

I'm probably looking most forward to scoping out the M12 caulk gun. The price of the M18 always detered me because I don't use a caulk gun a whole lot, but every time I do I always say "Damn, I wish I had one of those Milwaukee caulking guns". As information, I say the same thing about the grease gun. lol. If the Caulk gun is in the $150 or less range, bare tool of course, I'm going for it. I'm certain the M12 run time would be more than sufficient for 99% of what I'd need it for.

I really thought they were going to offer storage solutions, but didn't see any. We did see some pretty cool ones at Bosch. The Caulk and grease gun are awesome and want one also. I forget the run time, but I believe it is over 100 tubes on a charge. Overall you can lay a really nice bead. I believe you can even dial in the speed. I have to go back and look at my notes. Same thing about the run time for the rotary hammer. I will find out.

I really thought they were going to offer storage solutions, but didn't see any. We did see some pretty cool ones at Bosch.

That is what I was asking about, the Boschs, some of the tools I've seen offered were in systainers, while most are still being offered in the old style soft bags here in Florida, I was wondering if they were going to switch towards one or the other or keep offering us a mixed solution. I really like the systainers and I don't really care for soft sided bags. I've have read elsewhere that Bosch has even offered some tools in Sortimos L-Boxx. I would drop my Makitas in a heartbeat, if Bosch were to start offering their cordless tool sets in systainers, doubly so if they offered an offroad capable cart to move them around with.

Bosch is moving over to the L box system, which is very cool. New tools will have this system with a prefit insert for the tools. They are also the Sortimos.

Sortimos are a cool option, I have been wanting to get a few of their T-Boxxs but they have been a little hard to find. Maybe now that Bosch is using them, they will begin to see wider distribution here in the states. They do offer a dolly, but it does not strike me as particularly jobsite worthy, that is unless your jobsite is on finished floors....

I'm glad someone finally decided to package their tools in something useful. I always preferred the bags to the blow molded cases because I could use them for something else if I wanted. I use the small bag that came with my M12 jig saw as a carry all for smaller jobs and I use the big bag that came with my M18 combo kit for bigger jobs. When I tiled my buddy's bathroom I was able to put everything I needed in it with the exception of the tile saw. As for the blow molded cases, I don't use them to store or transport my tools, I hate to throw them away, but they take up a lot of the limited space I have. If I hauled my tools around every day I'd likely use them as the offer better protection, but that's just not the case. With the new Bosch boxes you get a nice compromise. Hope the other manufacturers follow suit.

To be totally fair, I do store my inspection camera and my SDS hammer in the supplied blow molded cases. The camera for obvious reasons and the SDS because it's not used on a regular basis and it makes it easy to store the bits and things with it.