What tools do you use in unconventional ways?

Conductor562

Just wondering how you guys use your tools for "unintended purposes". For example, I find the hefty construction and high leverage of Channellock 369 lineman's make them ideal for pulling stubborn cotter pins and misfired brads. As a matter of fact, I probably use them more for that than anything else.

Just wondering how you guys use your tools for "unintended purposes". For example, I find the hefty construction and high leverage of Channellock 369 lineman's make them ideal for pulling stubborn cotter pins and misfired brads. As a matter of fact, I probably use them more for that than anything else.

I have a large pair of end nippers that I use for pulling nails and such, I'm just breezing through during a break, I'll reply later with some more of my misuses of tools

I use a Purdy 6 in 1 painters tool in so many ways, I even have one in the kitchen. I have to wonder though with such a versatile tool if there really is an off label use for it. Speaking of tools in the kitchen, I have a mud mixer reserved just for those large pots of mashed potatoes, breezes right through them.

I'm not against mixing trades, I often can be found using my pneumatic impact wrench to drive lag bolts or tighten down plates. Got the compressor on the jobsite, might as well use it. I don't see a lot of people using angle grinders as sanders, but they do work well for aggressive sanding tasks. With the right wheel, they can even be used as a carving tool.

I can't believe I'm the only one thinking outside the box.........

I've seen those carving blade kits for angle grinders. They would be awesome if I had even the slightest idea how to carve. Come on guys, I know everyone has at least 2 or 3 examples of this?

The Arbortech blades are useful for more than just "carving". They can be used anytime a lot of wood has to be removed, like when fitting deck boards around curved objects, when you just need to remove that last little bit that would be hard to remove with a jigsaw but is to much for a belt sander, or for hogging out wood when you have to notch cribbing to support oddly shaped objects and I even seen them used for texturizing wood for that hand hewn look.

Some guys at work used to rig up different tool batteries to power their portable DVD and CD players. Some things we could make a special coed and tap into the Locomotives power through the radio, but being a 74V DC current it was hit or miss on what devices it would play. We all knew the ones that worked and vice-versa, but every once in awhile you'd end up with something that wouldn't run. A lot of guys preferred the batteries because A: You could hide it quicker if shit went down, and B: It didn't require you to disable one of the radios to get it's power source.

There was a big wreck out in California a couple years ago where the Engineer on a commuter train ran a stop signal because he was talking on his cell phone and hit a freight train head on. Long story short, bunch of people died and congress passed a law banning all electronic devices from the locomotive cab.

There was a big wreck out in California a couple years ago where the Engineer on a commuter train ran a stop signal because he was talking on his cell phone and hit a freight train head on. Long story short, bunch of people died and congress passed a law banning all electronic devices from the locomotive cab.

I can relate, I had a car (parked) almost totaled in a parking lot by someone talking on a cell phone. I can see why some states have banned cell phones when driving and wish my state was one of them. Bad enough that half the people choose to drive pickups and SUVs, but it seems that they are also the ones who drive the worst.