Does anyone know

jswoger1986

I was just wondering if there is anyone else here in the forum starting from the bottom rung of the tool ladder trying to buy tools for work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're all on the bottom rung clawing higher for more and more tools

Jimbo

• Like 1

Carpenter lol I need almost all of them what I own is pretty limited I have cordless impact, drill, hammer drill,recip saw, and cordless circular saw. I also own corded circular saw, jigsaw, drywall gun, and I have hand tools and a brad nailer lol but no compressor. I didn't need to own them at past jobs they were company supplied. Im scrambling to purchase all the other stuff I need with my job I just started 2 months ago slowly saving and slowly trying to purchase what I need

Dewalt tends to cater more to carpenters but Milwaukee is fled finitely stepping their game up. In terms of coddles jigs go Bosch, I have the corded 572 and it's a fantastic saw and cordless circular and recip saw go Milwaukee, come to think of it the stuff Dewalt does good for carpenters go Milwaukee... Lol Dewalt has good miter and table saws, Milwaukee kicks butt with cordless tools but again I love my compact Dewalt drill. Now I'm rambling how I pretty much don't discriminate brands and I am no help to you what so ever lol. Bottom line don't limit yourself to a single brand.

Jimbo

Carpenter lol I need almost all of them what I own is pretty limited I have cordless impact, drill, hammer drill,recip saw, and cordless circular saw. I also own corded circular saw, jigsaw, drywall gun, and I have hand tools and a brad nailer lol but no compressor. I didn't need to own them at past jobs they were company supplied. Im scrambling to purchase all the other stuff I need with my job I just started 2 months ago slowly saving and slowly trying to purchase what I need

well the only advice is buy quality tools you can afford, don't cheap out not worth it in the end......

Dewalt tends to cater more to carpenters but Milwaukee is fled finitely stepping their game up. In terms of coddles jigs go Bosch, I have the corded 572 and it's a fantastic saw and cordless circular and recip saw go Milwaukee, come to think of it the stuff Dewalt does good for carpenters go Milwaukee... Lol Dewalt has good miter and table saws, Milwaukee kicks butt with cordless tools but again I love my compact Dewalt drill. Now I'm rambling how I pretty much don't discriminate brands and I am no help to you what so ever lol. Bottom line don't limit yourself to a single brand.

Jimbo

i definitely plan on getting the dewalt table and miter saws probably even a dewalt laser. One of the best things here at the forum is the ability for me to ask you guys your opinions it helps me make smart choices when trying to purchase things

My grandfather was a carpenter and always told me to buy quality tools they may be expensive but your buying reliability and that is something you need at work.

Just remember quality tools are an investment and will last you years if you take care of them.

Jimbo

My grandfather was a carpenter and always told me to buy quality tools they may be expensive but your buying reliability and that is something you need at work.

your grandfather was right, however that was probably in a time when a good quality tool lasted you a life time, these days between new technology and mass production I'm afraid I don't think that is so any more. your not going to buy a cordless drill from any brand and expect to say "I've had that drill for 30 years and it works like new still" I have tools my father bought in the early 60's that still do what they did 50 years ago.....

• Like 1

Yes my grandfather has told me all his old tools in his basement are now mine I just have to travel the five hours with a box truck to pick them up unfortunately I don't have anywhere to store them because I live in an apartment but one day I'll be going to get them. But none of them are portable job tools or anything on top of the fact that they are modern but it's basically a whole shop's worth of tools in his basement he spent a number of years making custom furniture and cabinets so that's what the majority of the tools are

What battery platform are you on currently? hard to get a bad tool on any platform anymore,go to HD and lowe's or wherever is near you and see how they feel too you.  I have porter Cable and for me they are great for DIY around the house,i have Bosch too. I dont have any cordless Makita, Dewalt or milwaukee currently but would like to break into those lines.  I still have some Corded Dewalt drills I like,they are pretty beastly. Share your list with us so perhaps we can have a clearer idea of what you are missing from  your kit.

hello jswoger1986,

I am in the same boat as you... I am an apprentice Cabinetmaker.

Its funny I was just about to post my own thread basically asking the same question as you and listing the tools and brands I planned to purchase. Just so some of ye could give your opinions and see if I was heading in the right direction. Ill still start my own thread as I don't want to be taking over yours! There is some fantastic info on the forum though!! :D

What battery platform are you on currently? hard to get a bad tool on any platform anymore,go to HD and lowe's or wherever is near you and see how they feel too you. I have porter Cable and for me they are great for DIY around the house,i have Bosch too. I dont have any cordless Makita, Dewalt or milwaukee currently but would like to break into those lines. I still have some Corded Dewalt drills I like,they are pretty beastly. Share your list with us so perhaps we can have a clearer idea of what you are missing from your kit.

right now I have makita tools and love them although I'm not opposed to expanding into other brands

tools fall into a category that it is half and half relationship with the brand quality and the user knowledge of use and care. Just because something is deemed to be tough doesn't mean it is bullet proof. I've seen guys treat their tools like crap and then bitch they don't work when they need them......

Sometimes instead of spending money on new expensive tools. Just rent it Or find one used at yard sales, places like that.

Millerz

• Like 1

I need mitersaw

Table saw

Compressor

Compact router

Oscillating tool ( probably getting rigid jobmax)

Laser

Palm sander

Rotary hammer

And many more that are not immediate needs

Just my opinion over the years of tools I used and felt were good hope this helps

Dewalt miter and table saw worth every penny

Porter cable had a pancake for 17 years before I replaced it and at 99 you can't go wrong

Compact router go with Bosch colt although I have the Makita now I would have gone back if I didn't invest in the Makita kit

Multi tool started with a Bosch then got the fein both great tools my brother inlaw has the job max and loves it

Laser pls

Dewalt or Milwaukee both great sanders. Bosch makes nice ones to

If you can a afford it go with Hilti if not Bosch is solid in rotary hammers

Again this is just my option from my time using all different types expensive tools to the harbor freight specials.

The woodworking shows are going around. If you have the time see if a show is in your area it's best place to try all the tools you want and get a deal. Hopes this helps