Milwaukee 36V?

Conductor562

Sorry guys, I've been a little out of pocket. I was on vacation last week and came home to a certified disaster where a tornado had knocked out all the utilities except gas and the trees in my yard were snapped off waist high and located 2 houses down. I hadn't used my generator since we moved into the new house so after what should have been a 7 hour drive home turned into 14 and I didn't get until after midnight, I scrambled to slap together a 220V cord to hook it up. Long story short, I got my ground in the wrong slot, my multi-meter died a year ago, I fed half my panel box 220, melted 2 TV's, 1 DVD player, my desktop, my garage door opener, and (at the very least) the transformers in my central air unit. I was tired, pissed off, and careless, and now my homeowners insurance agent hates me. Anyway, I was at HD today buying a new Klein multi-meter (which by the way is awesome) when my HD guy told me he'd heard rumors of a 36V line of Milwaukee tools which would consist mainly of outdoor type equipment. I don't have any precedent by which to asess his credibility because I'm usually the one feeding him his information. Now Dan and Eric probably already know the inside scoop and I'll look like a total idiot, but this seems like an odd market for Milwaukee to get into. They've never dabbled into that kind of market as far as I know and they've got similar products out through Ryobi. I suppose it's fathomable as other manufacturers have kinda jumped into this type of thing, but surely Milwaukee wouldn't pit their brands against one another like GM did seeing how that worked out. I'm not saying pro's find themselves reaching for Ryobi much, I'm saying pro users of this type won't be reaching for cordless tools much and Milwaukee is certainly a pro market tool. Cordless outdoor tools would seem to me to be a homeowner market but I'm certainly no market research pro either. Maybe there's a market I don't see, but it seems a little far fetched to me. How about you guys? Is there a significant market for this?

BTW, I really, really, wanted the new black screened Milwaukee Multi-meter, but I need it today and my HD doesn't carry it. The Klein is great though! Even has temperature test capability and the proper temp lead was included. I may type up a review this week.

With Stihl, Husqvarna, and Makita already in the market, it probably won't be long before everyone has a stake in the game. Some of this new generation of cordless equipment has got my interest. I'm waiting to hear some longer term reports on just how durable this stuff is.

I'm hoping to see more 36v cordless tools, like circular and reciprocating saws, angle grinders, and roto-hammers. I'm getting really tired of all this compact this, 12v that, give me some tools with enough power to get some real work done. I just don't understand why companies come out with things like a cordless chop saws and only offer them in 18v.

Hope you get your home sorted out quick.

Are professional users really using cordless outdoor equipment? I read a review awhile back on Stihl's cordless blower which rated with middle of the pack performance and a 20 minute run time when equipped with the larger battery. Are pro's satisfied with average performance and limited run time? I guess someone must be buying them. I guess it's no different than what cordless power tools were 20 years ago. They'll eventually evolve into a viable solution, but they've got to start somewhere.

Are professional users really using cordless outdoor equipment? I read a review awhile back on Stihl's cordless blower which rated with middle of the pack performance and a 20 minute run time when equipped with the larger battery. Are pro's satisfied with average performance and limited run time? I guess someone must be buying them. I guess it's no different than what cordless power tools were 20 years ago. They'll eventually evolve into a viable solution, but they've got to start somewhere.

I'm sure there are some gardeners using them, I don't think many landscapers will be interested though. Cordless blower could make Caddy Shack style housecleaning a viable option.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't heard of Milwaukee going after the 36V market, but who knows. I don't really see them doing much with the 28V market. All their new tools seem to be aimed at the 12 and 18V. I could be wrong, but it seems like they are just focusing on those two battery lines.