Makita 18/36v outdoor power tools?

rrich1

With the Makita batteries/charger/bag promo going on I am contemplating getting one of the string trimmers, blowers (although it seems that only one is now on their website), and a new impact wrench to round out the 3 tools needed. Anybody have any experience with any of the trimmers or blowers? After looking online to find a decent gas one would run about the same price. I do have a gas blower that I use mostly as a vacuum in the fall/spring. I like having a cordless blower to clean out the garage, deck, roof, and such without having to deal with the gas one that I have set up as the vacuum. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

They have a new impact wrench coming out sometime this year, I thought it was a Q1 release but I could be wrong.  They make some pretty solid lawn equipment, is this there 2x18 platform?

They have two brushless trimmers, one in 18v the other in a 18x2. Their blower is an 18x2.

The promo ends the end of March so it would need to be out before then. I believe it is going to be bigger as well. I kinda like the compact design of the one now. I don't need it to take anything bigger/tougher than my f150 lug nuts or any other bolt on there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have both the xbu02z and the xru07z, blower and trimmer. I picked up both of them this past fall and quite like them. I recommend using 5ah batteries in them as 4ah batteries seem to be a bit short on useful run time. I used the blower for moving leaves around in the fall and for clearing snow off of my drive and sidewalks over the last two months and it has been an excellent tool for those purposes. The trimmer was only used two or three times before winter set in, but it performed well and has a nice balance when in use. The one thing that I wish, though, is instead of two speeds, that they had given it a variable speed like on the blower. It would have made the transition from gas power to battery power a wee bit less noticeable. The trimmer is a good choice for small and medium size yards with the current power packs available for it, but not something that seems to be designed to run all day, and I can't wait for the 6ah packs to hit the market so I can test the difference in run time. Power on it isn't an issue, just overall run time.

If you are on the Makita platform and purchase these two, I highly doubt that you will be disappointed with them. They will be great additions to your collection.

I also recommend the dual battery charger as it will recharge both batteries in the same amount of time as two separate chargers will.

• Like 1

I have both the xbu02z and the xru07z, blower and trimmer. I picked up both of them this past fall and quite like them. I recommend using 5ah batteries in them as 4ah batteries seem to be a bit short on useful run time. I used the blower for moving leaves around in the fall and for clearing snow off of my drive and sidewalks over the last two months and it has been an excellent tool for those purposes. The trimmer was only used two or three times before winter set in, but it performed well and has a nice balance when in use. The one thing that I wish, though, is instead of two speeds, that they had given it a variable speed like on the blower. It would have made the transition from gas power to battery power a wee bit less noticeable. The trimmer is a good choice for small and medium size yards with the current power packs available for it, but not something that seems to be designed to run all day, and I can't wait for the 6ah packs to hit the market so I can test the difference in run time. Power on it isn't an issue, just overall run time.

If you are on the Makita platform and purchase these two, I highly doubt that you will be disappointed with them. They will be great additions to your collection.

I also recommend the dual battery charger as it will recharge both batteries in the same amount of time as two separate chargers will.

Thanks!

The xbu02z isn't on makitas website. I would prefer that one over the thin nozzle one. I have the 5amp batteries from the home depot combo kit so that isn't an issue. My yard is 100x120 so the runtime will be fine with either.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a similar situation I was in... I own a bunch of Makita batteries and tools, and was really hoping that Makita would come out with some good OPE that would allow me to leverage my batteries and keep my garage teal blue. Before I purchased my XBU02z I was contemplating the EGO 56V blower since the complete kit costs less than the Makita bare tool blower, but I didn't want to introduce another charger in my garage, so I purchased the XBU02Z, which has been great. However, if I could do it all over again, I would probably keep my tools and OPE platforms separate to Makita and EGO, respectively, for the following reasons:

* 5 year warranty

* EGO complete kits costs less than or roughly the same as the comparable Makita bare tool

* Makita has no cordless mower for the US, and even the 36V mower offered elsewhere cannot come close to the features of the EGO mower.

* Makita is not a fully dedicated OPE manufacturer. Yes, they may have been pioneers (with their 7.2V line), but the competition is just too tough.

Sorry, I know you where asking about the blower only, but I just wanted to share my experience and wishful thinking. I am sure that the XBU02z is competitive with the older EGO 470cfm blower, but they just released a cool looking 530cfm blower with a larger battery. I hope I didn't sound like I was coming down too hard on Makita, but it is still my power tool of choice. I just think there are better options if you are somewhat more serious about OPE.

Cheers!

6 hours ago, bee-man said:

Sounds like a similar situation I was in... I own a bunch of Makita batteries and tools, and was really hoping that Makita would come out with some good OPE that would allow me to leverage my batteries and keep my garage teal blue. Before I purchased my XBU02z I was contemplating the EGO 56V blower since the complete kit costs less than the Makita bare tool blower, but I didn't want to introduce another charger in my garage, so I purchased the XBU02Z, which has been great. However, if I could do it all over again, I would probably keep my tools and OPE platforms separate to Makita and EGO, respectively, for the following reasons:

* 5 year warranty

* EGO complete kits costs less than or roughly the same as the comparable Makita bare tool

* Makita has no cordless mower for the US, and even the 36V mower offered elsewhere cannot come close to the features of the EGO mower.

* Makita is not a fully dedicated OPE manufacturer. Yes, they may have been pioneers (with their 7.2V line), but the competition is just too tough.

Sorry, I know you where asking about the blower only, but I just wanted to share my experience and wishful thinking. I am sure that the XBU02z is competitive with the older EGO 470cfm blower, but they just released a cool looking 530cfm blower with a larger battery. I hope I didn't sound like I was coming down too hard on Makita, but it is still my power tool of choice. I just think there are better options if you are somewhat more serious about OPE.

Cheers!

much appreciated. i wanted views of people who own them and if they would have done it differently if they could. thanks