My Shop: Tool Recommendations?

taylorv1

I wanted to share my small garage shop. I am 18 years old. I am interested in building furniture, and starting to get into cabinets. Are there any tools I should get next to be able to do more in cabinet making, and furniture work? 

(I am possibly looking into adding a few new tools, here is what I had in mind: Senco 21LXP Nail Gun, Bosch MRC23EVSK, and possibly 3x24" Porter Cable Belt Sander.) 

My tools currently :

Dewalt Orbital Sander      Porter Cable 1.75 Fixed Base Router        Ridgid Shop Vac

Dremel Trio                       Drill Press                                                   HVLP 

Jig Saw                            3 gallon Compressor                                  Hand Tools

Senco 18g Nail Gun      3x18 Craftsman Belt Sander                     4x8'  Work Table 

Rigid Combo Drill Set     Ridgid Table Saw

Skil Circular Saw            Bosch 12" Glide Miter Saw

IMG_7330.JPG

IMG_7331.JPG

• Like 2

Taylor, looks awesome dude. If I could recommend a couple of tools for you, and it looks like you're already really well equipped, a router (2-1/4 or greater) and a table. Also a low angle block plane and laminate trimmer (not a power one, just a regular hand trimmer unless you want to go that route. You could also look into a biscuit cutter if you wanted to go that route or a Kreg jig. But....id go with the router, table and block plane first. Awesome stuff you have there already dude and an hvlp? Awesome!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Taylor, looks awesome dude. If I could recommend a couple of tools for you, and it looks like you're already really well equipped, a router (2-1/4 or greater) and a table. Also a low angle block plane and laminate trimmer (not a power one, just a regular hand trimmer unless you want to go that route. You could also look into a biscuit cutter if you wanted to go that route or a Kreg jig. But....id go with the router, table and block plane first. Awesome stuff you have there already dude and an hvlp? Awesome!

3 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

You have pocket hole tools?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I do have a K5 Pocket Hole System. I do have a router table I built. I will look into the block plane. Thanks.

I've got the low angle Lie Neilsen and it is a beautiful, well made tool. I also have a Veritas  Bullnose shoulder plane which is great for mortises but also getting into corners.  Sorry I did not realize you had those other guys so it sounds like your all set dude. I would recommend a 23ga pinner too, great for hidden fasteners in end pieces while the glue dries.

• Like 1

I've got the low angle Lie Neilsen and it is a beautiful, well made tool. I also have a Veritas  Bullnose shoulder plane which is great for mortises but also getting into corners.  Sorry I did not realize you had those other guys so it sounds like your all set dude. I would recommend a 23ga pinner too, great for hidden fasteners in end pieces while the glue dries.

Should I get a 21 or 23 Guage Nail Gun. I currently only have an 18ga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never heard of the 21 Taylor, but I have an 18gauge Brad and a 16gauge finish along with the 23gauge pinner. I really like the pinner because there is NO sign of the nail head. The Brad nailer is great for slightly heavier work. The 16ga finish I have is great for larger objects but useless for finish work. In your case dude, whereas you have the 18gauge Brad I'd go with the 23 gauge pinner if you want to do finish work.

I've never heard of the 21 Taylor, but I have an 18gauge Brad and a 16gauge finish along with the 23gauge pinner. I really like the pinner because there is NO sign of the nail head. The Brad nailer is great for slightly heavier work. The 16ga finish I have is great for larger objects but useless for finish work. In your case dude, whereas you have the 18gauge Brad I'd go with the 23 gauge pinner if you want to do finish work.

The 21 guage I am refering to is the Senco 21LXP. Check it out. They head size is slightly bigger than the 23ga, but has the same holding power as an 18ga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gotcha. Then for me, the 23 gauge. IF you are doing finish work. Not a lot of permanent holding power but it definitely holds thing up while the glue, which is the real fastener, sets. But let me say, this is just my opinion dude.