Dewalt 4ah Batteries

wayneburgess

As predicted Dewalt are now bringing to the market the 4ah lithium battery packs for the XR range.

This follows Metabo who were first to release a 4ah which now means Dewalt users can now benefit also from a claimed 33% run time increase and this may also mean a slight performance improvement due to the increased draw the new battery packs should be able to handle.

It remains to be seen if like the Metabo these 4ah packs are so similar in weight as to be unnoticeable.

These should hit the shelves in the next month or two, and you can bet Tools In Action will be keeping an eye on developments. :)

I guess Milwaukee is next. I hate when my tools become obsolete :(

I seem to always find a use for old tools, so as long as they still do the job they were intended to, they are not obsolete. I still regularly use my 9.6v Makitas around the shop and occasionally my little 9.6 recip saw ends up on jobsites, it is nice not having to switch drill bits around for pilot holes etc. My old Milwaukee 12v drills get used for most of my paint mixing needs, and I still use my 18v Ni-Cads when I have helpers show up sans tools, that is unless I don't want them borrowing my tools again, then they get some 9.6v. icon_evil.gif

If you want to slowly make the change to newer technology, the cheapest way to start is to buy the cheapest tool that you would actually use in the new range along with it's new charger and hopefully two batteries.Then add to it as your wallet will allow slowly replacing your old tools one by one as they either wear out or get relegated to those really dirty jobs where you wouldn't want to risk one of the new ones. :)

I tend to take a different tack, when I'm trying to save money I wait at least a year after the new line of tools has been released and buy a larger set when it comes up on sale. Then I fill out the set, with what seems to me to be the more expensive single tools, not available with the set I purchased. I find I can usually get some pretty good deals after the holidays, but great tools sales can be had at any time, so you have to be ready to pounce when they come up. If you really want to save some money, the past generation of most tools is usually about half the price of what they were when they were the cutting edge.

I lost faith with several tool companies when being able to use the next generation of batteries in older tools went down the toilet.

But Dewalt for example upgraded old tools to lithium ion and still to this day there is one Dewalt old generation drill that with the lithium packs can easily cope on any site I have ever worked on.

It will have a different model number over in the U.S but it is a combi drill with a metal chuck and if i see one going cheep I am gonna be all over it for one to keep under the stairs for a back up. :D

I lost faith with several tool companies when being able to use the next generation of batteries in older tools went down the toilet.

Boy, can I relate, I still have a bitter taste in my mouth from Milwaukee and their V18 tools and how quickly they went over to M18 and lost the backwards compatibility.

I used to buy a lot of tools on eBay but anymore it seems the prices are as much or more than anywhere else.

Tool prices on Ebay vary by season just like they do in the tool stores. Wait until after Christmas, or a manufacturer launches a new line of tools, so you can by the last generation, if you really need the bargain.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...