Let's talk PET PEEVES

RickyMcGrath

46 minutes ago, Bremon said:

10,000 sq ft facility with 6 people working day shift in it, company tools, and you share w a night crew. Coffee break? Hide your stuff. Lunch break? Hide your stuff. Leaving for the day? Put your stuff in a box and hide it lol. 

I worked with a guy that put his work gloves on the top of his tool box everyday at the end of his shift, he got tired of coming in the next day with his gloves nowhere to be found....so he continued to leave his gloves on the top of his tool box but this time he put Steel Blue Layout Fluid in them to see who took them...worked perfect...no one touched his gloves again......

• Like 3

2 hours ago, comp56 said:

I worked with a guy that put his work gloves on the top of his tool box everyday at the end of his shift, he got tired of coming in the next day with his gloves nowhere to be found....so he continued to leave his gloves on the top of his tool box but this time he put Steel Blue Layout Fluid in them to see who took them...worked perfect...no one touched his gloves again......

Also works to dump chalk in the gloves

5 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Supervisors from other departments telling your subordinates how you should do business.

THIS THIS THIS

I hate this, so much, creates conflicts at work and drama that shouldn't be there in the first place.

• Like 1

So true Jimbo. When I initially started woodwork at this company I brought my M12 Fuel impact to speed things up and avoid people snagging the Dewalt impacts as soon as they're set down. Was asked only a few times "hey, can I use that for a second?" "No." Lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

When people touch/use my knives (butcher problems)

Walked into my cutting room with a guy using my boning knife to scrap some stuff, that got ugly pretty quick...

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy hell, I can't imagine. Especially with how much I'm sure your knives cost. It's almost like walking in to see someone using your brushless drill as a hammer.

Holy hell, I can't imagine. Especially with how much I'm sure your knives cost. It's almost like walking in to see someone using your brushless drill as a hammer.

Actually are knives are fairly disposable, we have a sharpening service that rotates them every other week, now my knives I sharpen myself, the ones we get can be rather crudely sharpened, so cost wise isn't bad but just the point of using MY knife lol

Jimbo

• Like 2

this is so offensive .

my contributions... bad grammar. I correct people all the time (yes, I realize I'm being an asshole).

My biggest pet peeve at work though is the microwave. The plate is almost always off the spinning track, and there are always 5-10 seconds left on it. Makes me want to take it out back and smash it to share the misery. What's so wrong with putting 5-10 seconds less on the timer to begin with? Takes me two seconds to correct but the annoyance keeps giving long after that haha. 

Oh, and people using one or two of your tools, then leaving them where ever they were when they finished with them so you have to go looking when you need it. So many laps for nothing. 

I admit I'm one to notice and correct bad grammar as well (and spelling)

I don't have the microwave problems, I have my own in my van powered by an inverter so I can always have a hot lunch!! Pretty sweet!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

one of the worst is way back early in my career when there was more than one boss/owner sniffing around the shop....one would tell you go left and the other would say go right......years later we talked about and laughed........

but most of all when I was around the shop many years seeing guys doing stupid things especially not wearing safety glasses......I used to stop them and say 20 minutes of aggravation wearing the safety glasses was better then a life time of aggravation not wearing them....

2 hours ago, comp56 said:

one of the worst is way back early in my career when there was more than one boss/owner sniffing around the shop....one would tell you go left and the other would say go right......years later we talked about and laughed........

but most of all when I was around the shop many years seeing guys doing stupid things especially not wearing safety glasses......I used to stop them and say 20 minutes of aggravation wearing the safety glasses was better then a life time of aggravation not wearing them....

Yeah, I always get onto people when we cut shit with the panel saw to wear ear plugs, our saw isn't the sharpest so its loud.

when you're ripping board after board after board.

I've learned my lesson when I had a Diablo grinder disc explode in my face and miss it completely. Scared the living shit out of me. The thing was, I saw a tiny crack in the disc, I used it anyway, thinking itll be fine.

3 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Actually are knives are fairly disposable, we have a sharpening service that rotates them every other week, now my knives I sharpen myself, the ones we get can be rather crudely sharpened, so cost wise isn't bad but just the point of using MY knife lol

Jimbo

Oh that's good, but yeah still not something you should mess with, still your tool and something that you want cared for or ruined if you so choose. Luckily you guys aren't getting damascus knives or something, I don't know why I imagined you guys would use expensive knives, that's more of a chef thing.

Oh that's good, but yeah still not something you should mess with, still your tool and something that you want cared for or ruined if you so choose. Luckily you guys aren't getting damascus knives or something, I don't know why I imagined you guys would use expensive knives, that's more of a chef thing.

Chefs put some big money in their knives, but even if we had a higher quality blade they wouldn't last that long the amount of cutting we do would still require very regular sharpening, all it takes is one bone to tear the edge up on your knife and it's done, let alone the morons that can't hold an edge on their blade

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In my younger days, I could have listed so many, that it would take you a day to read my post LOL.  I recently made a post about folks holding up their phones through a concert, holding them high up in the air, with their bright screens, Uhhhhgggg! What ever happen to holding up a Bic lighter during the slow tune?  That being said, in my day-to-day life, I have learned to take a deep breathe, and not let anything bother me.  SO with the answer to the original topic, I don't have any pet peeves anymore. BUT, that is not saying things don't piss me off LOL. 

• Like 1