I had this idea......

DaveJr.

What if tool manufacturers started to make an accessory that allowed you to use your cordless tools as a corded tool. It could be like a battery pack that has a cord coming out of it. Could something like that be feasible? 

I'm sure it could be. It's been discussed a few times. The issue with that is it will greatly decrease overall sales. Everyone would buy cordless tools and virtually eliminate the need for corded.

not only that but a lot of cordless tools are sold on the safety platform, no cords to worry about. So in doing this you are not only paying more for the tool to be cordless along with the needed batteries but you would have to put out even more money for some kind of an adapter. This is all well and fine but then they would see battery sales drop and they don't want that either......battery performance has come along way, right now they are in a bigger is better mode but give it time and they will eventually go the other way with more powerful batteries with longer life that are smaller and smaller.....may not be in our time but I can see power tools that can be recharged and last for weeks instead of hours.....you think it is far fetched? look what they were using just 30 or so years ago, you think people buying those tools thought they would have what we have today?......our hand held smart phones have 10x more computing power than a computer that used to take up an entire room in the 60's-70's I'm sure they thought that would be far fetched back then. I doubt I'd be around in 50yrs from now but some might be and if we could revisit this thread we would just laugh...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, comp56 said:

not only that but a lot of cordless tools are sold on the safety platform, no cords to worry about. So in doing this you are not only paying more for the tool to be cordless along with the needed batteries but you would have to put out even more money for some kind of an adapter. This is all well and fine but then they would see battery sales drop and they don't want that either......battery performance has come along way, right now they are in a bigger is better mode but give it time and they will eventually go the other way with more powerful batteries with longer life that are smaller and smaller.....may not be in our time but I can see power tools that can be recharged and last for weeks instead of hours.....you think it is far fetched? look what they were using just 30 or so years ago, you think people buying those tools thought they would have what we have today?......our hand held smart phones have 10x more computing power than a computer that used to take up an entire room in the 60's-70's I'm sure they thought that would be far fetched back then. I doubt I'd be around in 50yrs from now but some might be and if we could revisit this thread we would just laugh...

There was a girl(I think she was like 16 years old!) that supposedly invented a new type of battery that charged in seconds and lasted significantly longer than lithium. I saw the article like 8 years ago, not really sure of how accurate it was, how many amps the battery claimed to be able to supply or if manufacturers are looking into the technology...but I fully agree with you and think it's on it's way. There is a LOT of incentive to create batteries that can last for a long time and charge quickly because of the electric car.

• Like 1

got to think back in 1992 when the electric car was banned and recalled, the big oil companies will stop at nothing to slow this down, who wouldn't if you have billions of dollars coming in and something could change that. I remember a popular mechanics article about a guy that invented a gas carburetor that let a car he was testing go from 17MPG to 135MPG they bought him out and nothing was done with it......so there is technology out there and probably better than we know....but when and will it ever come into to play. I know if the oil ran dry there would be something real quick.....

• Like 1

well when (not if) the oil runs out will be too late just sayin lol. but the companies don't want the batteries lasting that long then we wont need 6 for 3 tools lol they would lose money. I know I have spent just as much if not more on extra batteries so we can keep working. but these are great ideas just dunno how far they would go. heck they say wind and sun cost to much for electricity. that I do not understand wind and sun happen daily at my house

8 hours ago, comp56 said:

got to think back in 1992 when the electric car was banned and recalled, the big oil companies will stop at nothing to slow this down, who wouldn't if you have billions of dollars coming in and something could change that. I remember a popular mechanics article about a guy that invented a gas carburetor that let a car he was testing go from 17MPG to 135MPG they bought him out and nothing was done with it......so there is technology out there and probably better than we know....but when and will it ever come into to play. I know if the oil ran dry there would be something real quick.....

Coincidentally, the electric motor is what killed the electric and steam cars of the early 1900s. Electric starter made petrol vehicles head and shoulders above the rest. The oil industry was able to keep the electric car virtually non-existent for 90 years.

53 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Why would you want to put the cord back on a cordless tool? That's like putting a corded keyboard on a lap top computer.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a couple of good reasons. If your battery dies, though most of use have several batteries. Also you could increase the power/speed by increasing current...though it would obviously put more strain on the motor.

There are a couple of good reasons. If your battery dies, though most of use have several batteries. Also you could increase the power/speed by increasing current...though it would obviously put more strain on the motor.

True but with larger packs and modern technology cordless performance rivals corded and like you said most of us have plenty of batteries.

23 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

True but with larger packs and modern technology cordless performance rivals corded and like you said most of us have plenty of batteries.

If you took those cordless and upped the current it would perform even better. It would be a niche accessory but it might help sales, if you have the option to go corded and cordless with one tool one might purchase the cordless when they planned on buying corded, then they're in a battery line...but that also loses a bit of the corded market which isn't exactly the focus of development, which means they can and do have the same models for a lonnnng time between upgrading(R&D is not cheap).

Imagine being able to have a Milwaukee Fuel Sawzall with both the capability of the Fuel Sawzall on battery and the Super Sawzall as a corded, that would be pretty damn cool.

If you took those cordless and upped the current it would perform even better. It would be a niche accessory but it might help sales, if you have the option to go corded and cordless with one tool one might purchase the cordless when they planned on buying corded, then they're in a battery line...but that also loses a bit of the corded market which isn't exactly the focus of development, which means they can and do have the same models for a lonnnng time between upgrading(R&D is not cheap).

Imagine being able to have a Milwaukee Fuel Sawzall with both the capability of the Fuel Sawzall on battery and the Super Sawzall as a corded, that would be pretty damn cool.

Yea that is true... You know how many cars I could cut in half?