Problem with M18 Hackzall

Daniel Julian

I have the M18 hackzall. I bought it used on Craigslist and it's worked great for 5 months until today. I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. Checked the battery (5.0 aH) and it showed 3 bars. Locked the safety switch on and off a few times, kept pulling trigger, and still nothing. Got home at lunch and changed out the battery with another 5.0 aH, and it works fine. Put the original battery on another M18 tool to see if that battery was truly bad, but it worked fine. Put the original battery back on the hackzall and then it seems to work fine. Ate lunch, came back out to go back to work and checked the hackzall again... Doesn't work (still had original battery back on it). Swapped batteries, it works, put original back on... It works. I went ahead and put battery #2 on it and threw it in the truck. Got home from work, and now it doesn't work again. Put original battery back on, works fine.

All that seems to say... When any battery sits on it for extended time it stops working (why???). Swap the battery and its like it "resets" something. Any ideas TIAcrew before I open this thing up?

I doubt it. Bought on Craigslist, so I don't have original purchase receipt (assuming that's required). Not sure how old the tool is either. I'll probably contact Milwaukee and see what they say just for grins. They've been real good on the things I've sent them before.

10 minutes ago, Daniel Julian said:

Just realized if I give it a good shake, it works. I'm betting a loose solder inside.

Could definitely be a cold solder joint. Anything like that should be pretty easy to fix if you feel like opening it up. Could also simply be a loose wire.

• Like 1

if you cant fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

actually, it does sound like you have something loose in the handle part of the tool. when you swap batteries in and out, your causing "vibration" in the contact area.

Am interested to know how this turns out, if it was borderline warranty time period, i would be easily tempted to looking into it myself, taking care of it quickly, since you have really narrowed it down to something you can replicate and know where to start looking

I sent a picture of the serial number to the Milwaukee tech that had contacted me and he said it was still within the warranty time frame, so I printed the mailing label, filled out the simple form, and dropped it off to FedEx. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Excellent, sounds promising

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Great news! I just got my Hackzall back from Milwaukee. Only took 10 days to send it in, have it fixed, and sent back. Phenomenal! They replaced a "burnt motor" and "intermittent switch" and looks like they put new body on it. The tool looks brand new (except for the metal shoe). And best of all, it was all covered under warranty and didn't cost me a dime. I couldn't be more pleased; this is why I chose Milwaukee. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Daniel Julian said:

Great news! I just got my Hackzall back from Milwaukee. Only took 10 days to send it in, have it fixed, and sent back. Phenomenal! They replaced a "burnt motor" and "intermittent switch" and looks like they put new body on it. The tool looks brand new (except for the metal shoe). And best of all, it was all covered under warranty and didn't cost me a dime. I couldn't be more pleased; this is why I chose Milwaukee. 

I have had similar good service from their warranty, this is great to hear you did too