Dewalt 20V DCD996 BL Hammer Drill - oztooltalk review

dwain

My dislike of 995 was a big part of me switching to Milwaukee.  Had the 996 been out I probably wouldn't have.  One thing I hated about the 995 was the slow ramp up when when using the clutch settings in screw mode.  The 996 still has that but it is much improved- on lower clutch settings it ramps up slow but the higher u go on the settings the quicker the ramp up becomes to wear it's almost non existent in the highest setting.  Dewalt really fine tuned this drill.  And another thing I don't think I saw mentioned in the video was hammer mode actually has a higher rpm than drill mode.

• Like 1

My dislike of 995 was a big part of me switching to Milwaukee.  Had the 996 been out I probably wouldn't have.  One thing I hated about the 995 was the slow ramp up when when using the clutch settings in screw mode.  The 996 still has that but it is much improved- on lower clutch settings it ramps up slow but the higher u go on the settings the quicker the ramp up becomes to wear it's almost non existent in the highest setting.  Dewalt really fine tuned this drill.  And another thing I don't think I saw mentioned in the video was hammer mode actually has a higher rpm than drill mode.

Gearbox is still junk though [emoji17] but was still better than the 995

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Gearbox is still junk though emoji17.png but was still better than the 995

Hmm, not sure I agree with you there, Jimbo. I really like having the 3 speeds, and preferred it to the Fuel I had for a short while.

It is a little clunky stopping on 2, but nothing that creates too much of a headache.

What makes you call it junk? Compared to what?

Hmm, not sure I agree with you there, Jimbo. I really like having the 3 speeds, and preferred it to the Fuel I had for a short while.

It is a little clunky stopping on 2, but nothing that creates too much of a headache.

What makes you call it junk? Compared to what?

I actually like the gear box. I had the 985 too and loved it. I wanted the new improved brushless super bad hiney model and switched to this one but I really like the gearbox. It gives me a greater range and is bulletproof.

Having a 3 speed gear box is actually brilliant in it self, speed 2 was such a sweet gear for concrete but switching gears was wear the 995 lacked and the 996 too, it would get hung up switching down from 2 to 1 you'd actually have to go up to 3 back down 1, now the 996 wasn't nearly as bad as the 995 but still had issues

I've never really had that problem but I do agree the switch is hard but I'm sure they designed that for a reason. As I recall my 985 had the exact same switch and it really requires you to pull or push but I got used to it pretty quickly. I think the 985 was longest I had a hammer drill even over my Milwaukee M18 (brushed) and old Makita BHP model.

• Like 1

All of Dewalt's 3-speed drills have a little bit of an issue changing gears every now and then. But it's nothing that isn't fixed in 2 seconds by pushing the other way first.

If you engage the drill after it gets stuck it will alleviate the problem as well

I actually prefer this drill to the 2704 Fuel. The Fuel sits in a nice middle spot in my arsenal between the 791 and 996. It has the small size but also has power. I don't believe it has as much power as Milwaukee says though. I love the Dewalt's 3 speed gear box. I don't like the side handle and believe it's undersized for the power of the drill. Where it shines is how awesome the Rohm chuck on it is. A far cry from the (in my opinion) mediocre Jacobs I've used on Fuel units. That said, with these 3 drills I think I'm going to sell my 2701. Or maybe give it away. No use for it when these other 3 are so so good. 

Great video Dwain, looking forward to your FlexVolt series. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bremon said:

I actually prefer this drill to the 2704 Fuel. The Fuel sits in a nice middle spot in my arsenal between the 791 and 996. It has the small size but also has power. I don't believe it has as much power as Milwaukee says though. I love the Dewalt's 3 speed gear box. I don't like the side handle and believe it's undersized for the power of the drill. Where it shines is how awesome the Rohm chuck on it is. A far cry from the (in my opinion) mediocre Jacobs I've used on Fuel units. That said, with these 3 drills I think I'm going to sell my 2701. Or maybe give it away. No use for it when these other 3 are so so good. 

I modified  my side handle  to make it longer it's definitely to short  

Chucks on the dewalt rock

1 hour ago, Bremon said:

oh that's interesting. I prefer the Milwaukee chucks. The Dewalt chucks drop more bits and are a little vicious on the skin in my experience. 

oh that's interesting. I prefer the Milwaukee chucks. The Dewalt chucks drop more bits and are a little vicious on the skin in my experience. 

Hmm I've dropped a few on my Milwaukee but never h ad that issue on either of my dewalt

Lol I'm with Jimbo; my 2704 and former 2604 like to spit out bits on my here and there. Never with the Dewalts. The fact that the Fuel is almost in compact territory compared to other flagships is a huge plus though and makes it easier to look past chuck problems. The side handle seems far safer as well. 

• 5 months later...

My Milwaukee M28 combi drill is forever dropping bits, the problem seems to be the electronic brake, it's so vicious that if you release the trigger to quickly it makes the gearbox clack and undoes the chuck. An easy fix for Team Red, just reprogram the braking profile. 

Easier fix is Milwaukee buying a quality chuck. The new Rohm I have for my 2704 is superior to whatever Asian (?) POS it came with (the 2604 was a Jacobs but from my parts hunting I'm not convinced the 2704 is. I could be wrong).