Tanos coming to NA anytime soon?

Jronman

I was wondering if Tanos systainers are coming to North America any time soon? There isn't even a North American website. I know Festool sells some Festool branded ones and there are a few retailers that sell some Tanos ones but I was talking more about the custom color boxes. You can get the standard Tanos grey blue color scheme boxes, all black box, all green, etc. but you can't really get a red box with blue handle and yellow latch or any other color combination you can think of.

• 4 months later...

Tanos makes the Systainers for Festool, so they are all compatible.  I'm not really a fan of them as the Ridgid Dewalt and now milwaukee boxes are much stronger, water proof and a lot cheaper.  The only Systainer I use is for my track saw. My sanders just get thrown in a Ridgid box with the rest of my stuff. Takes up less room that way.

I'm not sold on Systainers as tool storage for anything that doesn't come in one by default. If you get a tool from Festool, Mirka, Fein, and a few others you have the benefit of the insert that matches the tool. Buying Systainers separately means you either need to do a foam insert or just have your contents knocking around inside what are essentially really expensive thin plastic boxes. I could see something punching through the side of one pretty easily. I keep my Pro 5 in one since it doesn't travel and if I bought anything else like a Domino or track saw I'd keep them in them because of the insert. Everything else goes in TSTAK's or stays in it's blow mold case because they are sturdier.

• Like 1

@Framer joe Tanos is the OEM of Systainers and makes them for many different companies but most of them have been reserved for the European market. Festool almost gets special treatment because Festool and Tanos are owned by the same parent company. The system is as good as L-boxxes in my opinion. I feel like it has a bit more options than L-boxxes but I haven't looked into L-boxxes much. I have 3 Systainers now and they do the job. They are clearly not as strong as tough system but the fit and finish is excellent.

• Like 1

I think systainers are too small, too flimsy, and too expensive. I was looking at the Makita version a couple of weeks ago while picking up an L-Boxx I ordered (in-store pick up). The L-boxx is bigger (good sized) and feels stronger. Perhaps if they were exactly the same price it might be a harder choice between the two. I just can't see the extra value in Systainer. I understand the Makita version is probably the worst Systainer available though. 

I’m heavily invested in systainers. I have the newer type many with drawers and toolboxes. All are well made, solid performers that stand up to drops and such. Will they handle heavy abuse? No, my Toughsystem boxes will handle outright beating but my Systainers and the accompanying carts have been moved from my indoor shop to other locations with no problems. Are they expensive? Yes. I purchase all of my drawer Sys Storage boxes and tool boxes from Amazon UK and save a boatload of money. I have one Makita box, totally compatible with the Festool systainers but they are based on the older design with the really tough latch system. The big thing with Systainers are the variability in the types. If I think of it, I’ll post some pics of the ones I specifically buy as they are phenomenal for my use. Again....buy from Amazon UK. The nice thing is the new cordless Festool sanders are coming with the new drawer unit systainers. They are really sweet. Will I buy into Milwaukee? I don’t think so, my investments in the systainers and toughsystem boxes are fine. Interestingly enough, I got rid of all of my l boxxes except two, one for my phenomenal Bosch ROS65VCL and one for my Wife’s stamping up stuff.

• Like 1

I had an occasional issue with a latch plus they are not quite as tall as the Tanos. Amazon UK is awesome when it comes to Systainers, I can save $40 on the Sort 3 with shipping and no tariffs. The handcart was nearly $70 cheaper at the time. The prices do change in the UK or it may be the exchange.

• 1 month later...

I use them for parts storage,not tools.( like Adam savage) ..very small parts work great on two levels (96 boxes) I also use Durham metal boxes on ball bearing drawers for larger parts. 

I’ll tell you though the Stanley small parts cases (clear lids) are as good as the Sortimo cases for $11 vs $53......I have a bunch....