New Pickup Trucks Coming

Jronman

13 hours ago, Bremon said:

Same here; lots of city driving where a slightly shorter and narrower wheelbase would be ideal. Ford doesn’t want to give me what I want yet though and I don’t want that V6 the Colorado has. My dollars will be waiting until either company changes things up to my liking lol. 

You're surely more informed than I am about trucks. I drive a lot of interstate miles then end up in cities as described above...do you think I should consider diesel a bit more? I don't think I'll ever really need to tow. I've always been turned off by diesel but the 5-6 MPG seems like it would add up fast, my area covers about 100 miles in every direction. Who's putting out the best diesel options that aren't massive and are available in 2WD?

I honestly don’t think a diesel is worth it outside of a 3/4 ton or 1-ton. The little GM twins have a diesel option now but it’s pricy. The halfton segment has diesels everywhere all of a sudden, but the Ram ecodiesel is a bit of a joke, and I believe they’re debating killing it off. Outside of pickup truck enthusiast forums I don’t think the market for diesel is all that big.

The F150 has an upcoming diesel and the Silverado and Sierra have a diesel option as well in the upcoming model year. 3.0L in-line 6’s seem like they’re all the rage. The F150 powerstroke jr. seems like it’s catching a wave that’s already crested. The Ranger could get a baby powerstroke but from impressions I’ve read Aussies are pissed off that the global Ranger Raptor comes with a diesel because it’s an unimpressive mill.  

I’d wait and see what the diesels in the F150 and GM 1500s are like, and outside of the baby GMs I’d stay away from what’s already on the market. 

I was very interested in a baby duramax Colorado but I’ve written diesel off completely. The engine is more expensive, maintenance is more expensive, they don’t like winter as much as gas, and urea/DPF sucks big time. Top it off with diesel costing more than gas here the majority of the time and the date of maturity for your return on investment is just way too long of a wait. Turbo gas engines honestly seem where it’s at. I’ve always loved a V8, but I know so many people with Ecoboost F150 that that’s likely both what I’d recommend and probably what I’ll buy. Fuel economy is awesome if you don’t step on it too hard and the power is there if you need it. 2.7 F150 would probably be perfect for your purposes. I’m hoping the 2.7 makes it into the Ranger one day. 

In the meantime I’ll replace the shocks, struts and brakes on my 2010 lol. 

• Like 1

The little Ford turbo diesels are pretty awesome. I was also hoping they would come to NA with the ranger. I was so worried they were going to screw up the ranger!

I love the eco boost, but there is a place for a diesel.

“The 2.2L TDCi Duratorq generates an impressive 160 PS and 385 Nm of torque. Available in 6-speed manual and automatic transmissions (Selected models only).

Need even more power? Then take the 3.2L TDCi Duratorq diesel option, with 200PS and 470 Nm of torque at your command.

Impressive fuel economy and low emissions are delivered from 43.5 mpg (6.5L/100m) and 171 g/km CO2 emissions (160PS 4x4 with 6-speed manual and 3.15 FDR).”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Are we getting any manual diesels in North America? Ford hasn’t ruled the diesel mill out for the NA Ranger, but hasn’t confirmed anything. Manual pickups haven’t been common in pickups for years. 

I don’t find the numbers coming out of them that impressive. They’re big, but like I said, the upcharge on them is enough that the fuel economy savings are a long way out. 

The 3.0 Powerstroke looks reasonable but it’s only advantage over the eco boost seems to be fuel economy. Possibly engine life, but we won’t know that for a decade-plus lol. The F150 Powerstroke is a $6300 CAD uptick over the 3.5 Ecoboost, which is $650 more than the 5.0, which is already a $1525 premium over the base 2.7 Ecoboost. A $2300 box to tick for a premium engine is significant, but I would do it. An $8600 engine option? That’s absolutely stupid, and you might as well buy a Powerstroke Super Duty at that point. My opinion of course, but you really get a lot more truck on the same wheelbase with a Super Crew 6.5 box than the same F150.

The price premium in a Colorado/Canyon for the baby Duramax is $5755 CAD over the 3.6 V6. That’s just insane to me. I don’t have anything against diesels; they are fun to drive. I’ve spent the better part of a decade driving diesel work trucks. I know how much ridiculous torque they have, and how much fun they can be. My issue solely stems from the rationale that for an individual, the power numbers can be found elsewhere, and the fuel economy is not going to be advantageous enough to overcome the increased cost of ownership over the timespan that most people own a vehicle. The fuel economy can be quite impressive, but DEF isn’t free either lol. 

Napkin math tells me with diesel cost on F150 (using historical real world mileage on the Ecodiesel, because that’s the only one with a paper trail so far) breaks even at about 250,000 km, but at that point you’ll also have spent about 980 dollars on DEF. So push that mileage figure out some more. That’s also basing the cost of gas and diesel at the same price, and it’s been a long time since diesel has been consistently cheaper than gas here. If you’re like my dad and drive a pickup 580,000 km in 10 years I’m sure diesel makes sense. I drive more than most people I spend time with, and my ‘10 has 265,000 km on it and I don’t think I’d have broke even yet. Half ton diesel I’m not convinced. HDs; absolutely. Gas mileage on the work truck 3/4 ton I had would bankrupt some people lol. 

I’m interested in doing some napkin math on the Colorado/Canyon. I feel like the little trucks might have a case to make since the NA V6 is not great by any means and the premium for the baby Duramax is smaller. Give me some time and I’ll get to it later today. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys! All three of those responses were great! Seems like I've been in the right, I just see soo much circle jerking on diesel trucks since they're all the rage from the UFC, gym mirror selfie crowd that I've "luckily" enough to meet through friends of friends and ended up on my FB. Down here I don't have to deal with the cold start thing so it seemed worth a consideration. I'm super glad that you have backed me off of that! So I'm back where I want to be, at my Tundra current gen. To me it just seems to be overall the best buy...though there are SOOO many Fords available used, seems like the Ford crowd upgrades every year to the next model. It's probably the best looking truck but they're all looking pretty good right now. I'm thinking another 10-12 months before my full financial recovery barring any returning health issues, so that gives me plenty of time to watch trends and research.

• Like 2

Yeah, diesel is absolutely the Internet darling of pickup truck forums but I’m convinced it’s just the usual elitism you find in many communities over many products. Does Festool have a place in your shop? Absolutely; in specific cases. Is it the be all, end all? No. Diesel pickups are much the same. 

The Tundra is a nice truck. Toyota doesn’t put as much love into it as they ought to, in my opinion, but it’s pretty sharp looking and quite capable. The Taco is a handsome truck but isn’t nearly as beefy as the competition. 

Tundras retain value quite well too, so if you’re the type to keep something 4-6 years, you’re golden. If you keep it a decade or more GM has real longevity imo. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bremon said:

Yeah, diesel is absolutely the Internet darling of pickup truck forums but I’m convinced it’s just the usual elitism you find in many communities over many products. Does Festool have a place in your shop? Absolutely; in specific cases. Is it the be all, end all? No. Diesel pickups are much the same. 

The Tundra is a nice truck. Toyota doesn’t put as much love into it as they ought to, in my opinion, but it’s pretty sharp looking and quite capable. The Taco is a handsome truck but isn’t nearly as beefy as the competition. 

Tundras retain value quite well too, so if you’re the type to keep something 4-6 years, you’re golden. If you keep it a decade or more GM has real longevity imo. 

I'm not sure about how long I will keep it, I've only had two vehicles my whole life but circumstances have changed a lot over those times. I want a vehicle that I can keep for 4 years and sell or keep for 20, that's always been a Toyota for me. I've always considered Chevys to be more reliable than Ford but it seems like Ford is building the best quality vehicles they've ever built.

I definitely wouldn't mind the Chevy/Ford aftermarket but Toyota's aftermarket has come a long way since the early 00's, my T100 had very little aftermarket options. I'd probably do simple upgrades, nothing suspension but maybe exhaust, tonneau cover, bed liner and maybe a wheel well tool box...but much like wanting the option to resell for little loss in a few years or keep for over a decade, I like options. The only things that tended to wear out on the Toyotas were the blower motor and they eat through batteries, about every 1-1.5 years.

@HiltiWpg what pickup truck gets 43.5 mpg? That sounds amazing. Thats more than my car gets.

On another note I have heard the new Fords are very inefficient. Supposedly when they are stopped the engine will stop. Then more fuel is used because of more engine restarts.

[mention=51679]HiltiWpg[/mention] what pickup truck gets 43.5 mpg? That sounds amazing. Thats more than my car gets.

On another note I have heard the new Fords are very inefficient. Supposedly when they are stopped the engine will stop. Then more fuel is used because of more engine restarts.

That was the ranger turbo diesel option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought this beast a few months back, so I’m not in the market for a long time:

24D8968D-1C1A-452E-B15B-97FF0E62DB88.thumb.jpeg.f442892daea298dc03f7fb8382118e29.jpeg

CF068CE4-2070-4E1F-B25A-C2F09D23CD00.jpeg.4d0fa4cf230da06684dab98f6518b2a6.jpeg

Here’s my take on the diesel argument.

The Bad: $10,000 is a hefty option.  

The additional maintenance cost is real, but overstated. $89 oil change plus $20 in Diesel Exhaust Fluid every oil change. $80 for fuel filters every other oil change, so you’re looking at probably 3x’s the cost of per oil change. To maintain proper load capacity you’ll need Load Range E tires. Those aren’t cheap either, but you can find them that aren’t insane. Diesel is more than gas, but you’ll get better mileage out of the diesel versus an equivalent gas truck, so it’s pretty much a wash. Repairs can be insane if it’s certain things. Reading online will make you walk away feeling like every diesel out there is a ticking time bomb, but in reality (outside of the 6.4 Ford nightmare) the catastrophic failures are few and far between and most trucks I see with crazy expensive proplems are user created either by poor maintenance or tuner mods.

The Good: I haul a lot of shit including a 28’ camper (+/- 9500 lbs.) and was constantly stretching the limits of my 1500 Rams, which doesn’t bode well for longevity. I was having to be careful about packing lite, emptying tanks, etc, now I could pull it if it were filled with lead. I traded off several trucks I still loved because of high miles. By the time I had one close to paid off I was pushing 200k and it had to go. With a diesel that “ get out from under it before it dies” mileage is at least double. Dad has a 2017 F-250 with the 6.2 gas motor. Good motor, pulls the camper just fine, but does so @ 7-8 mpg. With the 6.7 Diesel I can pull to Myrtle Beach getting 10 or so through the mountains and 12-13 through the Carolinas all while never dropping below 65 mph and not really trying to take it easy. On flat or mildly hilly terrain I could literally forget it’s back there. There’s a lot of difference in pulling a big load 50-100 miles and pulling one 800-1000 miles.

If if you pull loads approaching 10,000+ with any regularity over any real distance and/or you put a lot of miles on your truck, a diesel it’s absolutely worth the extra investment. Otherwise, you’re paying a lot more for capabilities you don’t really need. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Whoa. Nice truck Travis. 

Thanks Chris. This is my second Super Duty. The first one was a 7.3 regular cab and was a casualty of a growing family. If it had been a crew or xtra cab I would have driven it until the wheels fell off.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/14/2018 at 1:11 AM, Conductor562 said:

Just bought this beast a few months back, so I’m not in the market for a long time:

24D8968D-1C1A-452E-B15B-97FF0E62DB88.thumb.jpeg.f442892daea298dc03f7fb8382118e29.jpeg

CF068CE4-2070-4E1F-B25A-C2F09D23CD00.jpeg.4d0fa4cf230da06684dab98f6518b2a6.jpeg

Here’s my take on the diesel argument.

The Bad: $10,000 is a hefty option.  

The additional maintenance cost is real, but overstated. $89 oil change plus $20 in Diesel Exhaust Fluid every oil change. $80 for fuel filters every other oil change, so you’re looking at probably 3x’s the cost of per oil change. To maintain proper load capacity you’ll need Load Range E tires. Those aren’t cheap either, but you can find them that aren’t insane. Diesel is more than gas, but you’ll get better mileage out of the diesel versus an equivalent gas truck, so it’s pretty much a wash. Repairs can be insane if it’s certain things. Reading online will make you walk away feeling like every diesel out there is a ticking time bomb, but in reality (outside of the 6.4 Ford nightmare) the catastrophic failures are few and far between and most trucks I see with crazy expensive proplems are user created either by poor maintenance or tuner mods.

The Good: I haul a lot of shit including a 28’ camper (+/- 9500 lbs.) and was constantly stretching the limits of my 1500 Rams, which doesn’t bode well for longevity. I was having to be careful about packing lite, emptying tanks, etc, now I could pull it if it were filled with lead. I traded off several trucks I still loved because of high miles. By the time I had one close to paid off I was pushing 200k and it had to go. With a diesel that “ get out from under it before it dies” mileage is at least double. Dad has a 2017 F-250 with the 6.2 gas motor. Good motor, pulls the camper just fine, but does so @ 7-8 mpg. With the 6.7 Diesel I can pull to Myrtle Beach getting 10 or so through the mountains and 12-13 through the Carolinas all while never dropping below 65 mph and not really trying to take it easy. On flat or mildly hilly terrain I could literally forget it’s back there. There’s a lot of difference in pulling a big load 50-100 miles and pulling one 800-1000 miles.

If if you pull loads approaching 10,000+ with any regularity over any real distance and/or you put a lot of miles on your truck, a diesel it’s absolutely worth the extra investment. Otherwise, you’re paying a lot more for capabilities you don’t really need. 

Nice truck!

• 8 months later...