Has anyone got the dcf888 yet ?

Craigh9916

Hi has anyone got the dewalt dcf888 yet ? Not many reviews on YouTube yet ( well any good ones ) I want to know what it’s like to fine tune the setting especially the lowest setting as we all know the number 1 speed on the 887 isn’t the best ! Anyway if anyone can tell what it’s like for fine tuning the setting that would be great thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi has anyone got the dewalt dcf888 yet ? Not many reviews on YouTube yet ( well any good ones ) I want to know what it’s like to fine tune the setting especially the lowest setting as we all know the number 1 speed on the 887 isn’t the best ! Anyway if anyone can tell what it’s like for fine tuning the setting that would be great thanks

I have it. Excellent customization. Can really fine tune the precision screw mode.

I use my Makita oil-impulse driver for most tasks requiring impact precision though.
  • Like 1

Speed 1 is not for everyone. It has its place but could probably be improved. The delay has its place especially for delicate cabinet screws. A shorter delay would be alright. I feel like there could be more power to the motor before the impact mechanism activates. I'd like to see more specialty modes. A sheet metal mode is an obvious one but maybe it could be smart enough to turn off the motor when the screw is fully fastened.  I'd like to see a quiet mode or maybe a screw driver mode that is max power no impacts. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Craigh9916 said:

So you can get rid of the horrible delay the dcf887 has in number one setting ?

Exactly what I wanted to know as well.

I didn't buy the 887 purely because of that low setting (it was the final and deciding factor between 2 very good tools). Instead I got a Makita TD170, which only just very slightly felt to be the better option. It's an awesome impact driver, but I would have preferred the Dewalt due to the LED lights surrounding the chuck, the ergonomics, and the simple mode switch (easy to change mechanical switch). I use low setting a lot and particularly disliked the pause, but also the jerking of the Dewalt when impacting in the low setting. 

• regopit changed the title to Has anyone got the dcf888 yet ?
Speed 1 is not for everyone. It has its place but could probably be improved. The delay has its place especially for delicate cabinet screws. A shorter delay would be alright. I feel like there could be more power to the motor before the impact mechanism activates. I'd like to see more specialty modes. A sheet metal mode is an obvious one but maybe it could be smart enough to turn off the motor when the screw is fully fastened.  I'd like to see a quiet mode or maybe a screw driver mode that is max power no impacts. 

Yes I agree with everything you have said but I find after the delay when the impacts kick in they aren’t delicate at all.
I will buy the dcf888 when I find one at a decent price

Not sure why guys are buying the 887 ? For what purpose are you trying to use it for ? I have many 887 and it’s the best impact IMO on the market. Ive used the surge , don’t like it,,have not used the hitachi triple hammer,I hear it’s great ....i screw off thousands of decks with it..and drive zillions of timberlock,trusslok, ledgerlok with it....wouldn’t a small 12v be better for cabinet knobs and hinges ? Curious...

Or the Milwaukee gen 2 with 4 settings.....just wondering 

Not sure why guys are buying the 887 ? For what purpose are you trying to use it for ? I have many 887 and it’s the best impact IMO on the market. Ive used the surge , don’t like it,,have not used the hitachi triple hammer,I hear it’s great ....i screw off thousands of decks with it..and drive zillions of timberlock,trusslok, ledgerlok with it....wouldn’t a small 12v be better for cabinet knobs and hinges ? Curious...
      Or the Milwaukee gen 2 with 4 settings.....just wondering 
The absolute best for cabinet and install work is the Makita oil-impulse driver. Hands down.

It's not worth buying and keeping another tool and batteries in the truck for a job I do only occasionally.  Also its much easier to tame a powerful driver with the trigger than make a weak impact driver do something that it can't.  I need the power when driving large screws in oak handrails and Newells.  I also occasionally do decks too.

It's not worth buying and keeping another tool and batteries in the truck for a job I do only occasionally.  Also its much easier to tame a powerful driver with the trigger than make a weak impact driver do something that it can't.  I need the power when driving large screws in oak handrails and Newells.  I also occasionally do decks too.

The oil-impulse can handle large screws easily, even in oak handrails and newels. It has much more power than you expected or it's rating suggests due to the oil impulse mechanism. I installed some 6" Simpson headlok screws the other day with it.

• 2 years later...