Porter Cable 7538 Production Router

Jronman

Anyone know much about this router I was gifted? I know it is 3-1/4 hp, has plunge base, single speed,, no micro adjust, and no built in dust collection. I'm not sure if there is any dust attachments available for it..It is also discontinued so info on it might be scarce. I have yet to do much research on the router yet.

At 3+ hp and around 17 pounds it is a bit much for everyday use. I am trying to figure out a good use for this router. Could it fit in a router table? I also noticed in the base it has places to slide a bar into. Might be for an optional edge guide or guide rail accessory?

• Like 1

In Porter cable hay days, they made some pretty stellar routers, probably the best around at the time. The router you have is no different. this model router was first available in around 1994, but don't let that discourage you back then they used heavy duty copper windings which gave it incredible power, weighing in around the 17 lbs mark this is no DIYer router, it is a commercial grade production router. Nice gift.......

• 3 weeks later...

I am contemplating putting this in a router table, preferably with a lift.

Is this a good idea? I have seen mixed feelings about plunge routers in router tables. I have even used one in a lift but there was no lifting mechanism so everything had to be adjusted from the router itself.

Also are there even any compatible router tables, preferably with a lift, it will fit?

That Rockler pro table seems nice and accepts lifts. Might be an option if a compatible lift will fit?

14 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Dude. Watch this video. Look at what Nick Offerman uses in his home made slabbing sled.

I have thought one of these would be nice to have. Only thing is getting the slabbing sled and rails it rides on parallel and flat and keeping it that way. 

I also found this yesterday. It might be an option. It supposedly works with my router. http://www.rockler.com/router-raizer

• 4 weeks later...
I am contemplating putting this in a router table, preferably with a lift.
Is this a good idea? I have seen mixed feelings about plunge routers in router tables. I have even used one in a lift but there was no lifting mechanism so everything had to be adjusted from the router itself.
Also are there even any compatible router tables, preferably with a lift, it will fit?
That Rockler pro table seems nice and accepts lifts. Might be an option if a compatible lift will fit?
Absolutely. Many lifts were designed to use this router. As far a single speed, I suggest that you get a router speed control rated to handle the current of this router. In the day it was the gold standard for router table service. Make sure the table is beefy enough to carry the weight without warping.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 11/15/2019 at 8:30 AM, Lancotf said:

I have actually been looking for one of these.  Let me know if you end up deciding to sell this.  I can be reached at Lancaster County Timber Frames at 717-755-2990. Or email agood(at)lancotf.com

It is not for sale at the moment. It was one my uncle gave to me when he decided to retire from his cabinet business. I am going to add a router lift kit to it and have it dedicated for router table use.

• 1 year later...