New Makita BL x2 mower DLM461

Makita_2233

New Makita bl mower released in Australia today 

Powered by two 18V Li-ion batteries, with the Makita DLM461Z Lawn Mower you get 36V of power and runtime without leaving the 18V platform. The 460mm heavy duty steel deck and 4 swing back blades have been designed to withstand harsh Australian conditions.

Features:

• 18" heavy duty steel deck
  • 4 swing back blade system
  • High power brushless motor
  • 60L catcher with grass level indicator
  • Automatic Torque Drive Technology

Specifications:

• Voltage: 36V (18V x 2)
  • No load speed: 3300rpm
  • Max cutting width: 460mm
  • Catcher capacity: 60L
  • Cutting height adjustment range: 16mm - 75mm (5 heights)
  • Recommended mowing area: 800 - 1600m²
  • Length: 1518mm
  • Weight: 27.2kg

Specs from Sydney Tools website 

26 mins of runtime on 6.0s, from my soures at Makita 

1AD680CD-303B-4C29-BE73-E8A05B80E10D.jpeg

3E887B57-3B03-4B04-A3E5-712798A17815.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Powered by two 18V Li-ion batteries, with the Makita DLM461Z Lawn Mower you get 36V of power and runtime without leaving the 18V platform. The 460mm heavy duty steel deck and 4 swing back blades have been designed to withstand harsh Australian conditions.

Features:

Specifications:

1AD680CD-303B-4C29-BE73-E8A05B80E10D.thumb.jpeg.4a149f51270758a7881706ba8d344463.jpeg
3E887B57-3B03-4B04-A3E5-712798A17815.thumb.jpeg.6a366449a59859e683afbd34aaa8011e.jpeg
Smaller deck and not great runtime but still a huge upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

I see this mower is now on sale in Europe and on the Makita UK website, although it is called the DLM460.  I can't find a retailer in the UK but it is listed on Amazon de and fr.

The 461/460 is a bit big and heavy for me,  but having seen the difference with brushless motors on other tools I'm reluctant to buy the existing smaller mowers with what now seems like a dinosaur brushed motor.  Presumably Makita have to get hit their production goals for the old mowers (return on tooling investment etc) before launching brushless replacements?  Plus I guess they're aiming at the domestic homeowner market rather than the more demanding professionals who'd pay for a brushless kit? If so it could be another couple of years :(

I don't see the point of this.

This will probably cost twice as much as a gas mower, even though it's waaay less powerful, it's not self-propelled and has a very small cutting width @ 46cm...

What's up with this new trend to make every tool run on batteries ? Why can't people understand that some tools are simply not suited for running on batteries

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kat said:

What's up with this new trend to make every tool run on batteries ? Why can't people understand that some tools are simply not suited for running on batteries

Because they read reviews and watch videos that tend to prove otherwise? 🤔

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kat said:

This will probably cost twice as much as a gas mower, even though it's waaay less powerful, it's not self-propelled and has a very small cutting width @ 46cm...

Lucky for you they still make gas powered and corded tools if they fit your applications better.  In some situations though, even if battery power isn't perfect, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of gas powered maintainance or being tethered to a cord and outlet.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 5:53 PM, kat said:

It's all about context. Most UK users in modern housing have 50 to 100m2 lawns. They would consider a 46cm mower way too big, a petrol mower to be way too heavy, and petrol mowers are way more expensive than electric. That's why most UK retail mowers are electric  in the range 34-40cm, many of them will be hover mowers which are much easier on small lawns than wheeled models.

If you have already have the batteries, then a bare Makita cordless costs roughly the same as corded and saves messing around with extension cables.

In my particular case, I have two lawns to cut. One is up steep steps, the other is at the back of a terrace so I have to carry the mower through the house.   Neither are suitable for a petrol mowers due to access and size of lawn, plus cordless means one less thing to carry from the vehicle to the back of the house.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

On 8/1/2018 at 4:46 PM, Makita_2233 said:

Features:

Specifications:

1AD680CD-303B-4C29-BE73-E8A05B80E10D.jpeg

3E887B57-3B03-4B04-A3E5-712798A17815.jpeg

Really love Makita since I'm a single homeowner and enjoying housework. Yeah, we exist lol.

Consider buying my first mower. This particular mower looks nice, specs seem great for me. Any updates since it's been quite a while? Maybe you'll suggest something else? I only have 4 sq ft, definitely, don't need riding one or whatever massive/too costly.

• 3 months later...

Stay away from this Makita mower at all cost. Go for a petrol one if you don't want a headache. The engine stopped when it gets to a thicker patch of grass instead of cranking up the engine as claim. The fully charged brand new battery only lasted 15-20mn on thin lawn with mulching in place. It will be less if you have catcher on.

Bought it from Mitre 10 Mega Palmerston North, New Zealand. Terrible service from them.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have a sloped lawn out back with steps leading up to it and as I m getting on a bit was looking into the options. I have decided on a cordless lawn mower as they are much lighter for lifting and no leads to be looking out for. The one I have chosen is self propelled so does well on the slope and the 60kg basket can hold the whole cut in one, bearing in mind the lawn is only about 50m sq so not very big. Its a new bit of kit on the market from Warrior Eco Power Equipment, I have used the same company for winches and generators in the past so know the stuff they sell is good quality and the service team are always on hand. They also do a range of cordless garden tools including grass strimmer, Hedge Trimmer, Leaf blower and chainsaw. Great thing being the same battery fits all.