Dewalt Flexvolt DCS690 mini cut off saw

method

Finally found a store who stocks this and picked it up yesterday. Awesome, handy little tool for anyone looking at purchasing. Needs 12.0ah batteries though but it runs well and has decent run time with the 9's. I haven't used it much but it feels less torquey than the cordless 9" Metabo grinder, I find that when the grinder is at full speed it feels more powerful when cutting. The Dewalt is much more comfortable to hold when chopping and wall sawing even though the Metabo has the 3 position handle and rotating arm. The brake is super fast and it actually feels quite well built. I just wish the guard was able to be positioned like a normal demo saw (just pull or push into desired position as opposed to 5 fixed positions). It seems to have a safety mechanism (not sure if mechanical or electronic?) but I had a tungsten circular saw blade on it for part of the day whilst cutting timber and when it jammed it cut the power instantly which was nice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How does it work on cutting concrete? We demo/modify a lot of “ 4” “ housekeeping pads (meaning 2x4 forms) in hospitals where noise, gas/diesel, propane, and tie-ins for 220 or 480V just aren’t worth it. I have been considering getting one of these but my supers are CONVINCED that there’s no way it’ll handle cutting HK pads. (Keep in mind they’re makita fans.... working on that!)

I cut brickwork today and it cut better than I expected. I had to cut both sides as it's approx 20mm short of cutting through a full face brick. Not a problem though as it breezed through the back cut. I'd say it will cut those no worries at all. As with all cordless/light electric tools you really need to let the tool do the work unlike high wattage corded or gas powered tools where you can really push them. If a housekeeping pad is what I think it is, it should cut it like butter. I'd recommend several 9ah batteries for it though.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed water and dust getting into the sealed battery box. I had the saw in the back of the truck today and it rained hard on the way home.  I checked the battery compartment when I got home and found this (below)

The lower part of the battery was completely submerged. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue? The seal was clean and saw sitting upright. Love this tool btw!

20181120_164620.jpg

20181120_164624.jpg

Seems to be! I spoke with dewalt tech today, the battery case is resistant to dust and water, not waterproof as some reviews say. They informed me that as long as the terminals of the battery are dry there shouldn't be a problem, also not to leave the battery in the tool if the tool will be left out in the weather (as I did yesterday).

The batteries can apparently get splashed etc but obviously no part of them should be submerged. If the terminals short out the tech said it could violently explode. Its unlikely this much water would get in while saw cutting. Thete was 15mm of rain in 10 minutes yesterday. I know I can work with husqvarna tools in the rain and the batteries are unprotected so I'm wondering if it is the terminal design or sealed electronics that allow this?

@method...the 12ah is better on runtime , obviously , but I'd swear More Powa....I personally have 8 of the 12ah.....at work we have 16..of them....I can say I won't buy a bigger ( physically) or heavier battery ..(I Know it's the same size as the 9ah)

......the 12ah is /4ah right? For framing with the 575 and 577 it allows you to just need 2 batteries per saw( one charging)....but... a 15ah /5ah ? would be almost all day on 1 battery...if they make one.....

......any bigger or heavier and we wont buy them..,. hopefully the batteries will get smaller and more Powerful....

Thanks for the feedback. Possibly more power from the bigger cells if your comparing it to the original 9's? As per my previous post, I didn't know the 9's had gone to the 21700 cell now. I do notice more power under load with the new 9's as opposed to the old 9ah packs albeit, only with the cut off saw do I notice it. I just bought another 4 9's and am waiting for the 12s to get here instead of purchasing more 9ah packs.

I think the packs will get smaller but it will be at least 5 years away judging by the time between the first 4ah packs metabo introduced, to the new slim 4ah packs they have (although still not out here in Australia)

By that time maybe a new technology will be out, solid state possibly? Who knows. I think as you say with the 15ah if they ever come out, once you get up to 300wh, run time is really balanced and you should not be able to drain many batteries without having a charged one ready to go. I know this is the case with my Bli300, I can't drain the battery even with the chainsaw before another battery is charged (with the fast charger of course). I think this is the case with just about every tool out now except for the cut off saw and the 9" grinder (when grinding).