Snap on vs Pittsburgh pro 3/8 ratchet comparison

NicholasShetley

The other day I took apart my new snap on 3/8 long flex head ratchet and a similar Pittsburgh pro ratchet and while I was at it I figured I would take some pictures comparing the two. Neither of these ratchets have been used a bunch as I bought the snap on ratchet a little over a month ago and the HF ratchet is more of a beater ratchet. The snap on ratchet has an 80 tooth mechanism with 7 teeth engaging in either direction and the Pittsburgh has a 72 tooth mechanism with 5 teeth engaging in either direction. The chrome is better on the snap on and it seems to be less likely to scratch too. The Pittsburgh is a little bit longer and it has a standard round grip where the snap on is shaped to fit your hand better. By the way I did not pay full price for the snap on ratchet, I used my student discount and got it for half price. There is no way I would pay $145 for this ratchet. Here are some pictures comparing the two. 

Snap on

image.jpeg

HF

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

I have that same HF ratchet. I like it, I just need to do some surgery on it to keep the head from flopping around quite so easily.

Hey Nicholas, do you know if you could get a BJP1 ball joint press through he SEP program?

15 minutes ago, BK13 said:

I have that same HF ratchet. I like it, I just need to do some surgery on it to keep the head from flopping around quite so easily.

Hey Nicholas, do you know if you could get a BJP1 ball joint press through he SEP program?

No you can't get the press. The snap on student program isn't as good as Matco. nearly everything is discounted with them. With snap on stuff such as the flank drive plus wrenches aren't available along with a lot of specialty tools.