Routers - Big or Small

sadfkjnbb

if your going to invest in a router to do more than one thing then invest in one that can do more than one thing. A bigger router can always do smaller jobs but not all smaller routers can do bigger jobs......

• Like 2

if your going to invest in a router to do more than one thing then invest in one that can do more than one thing. A bigger router can always do smaller jobs but not all smaller routers can do bigger jobs......

Or you can just buy 2 or 3 routers...

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I have several routers (makita and a couple PC), but the one I use the most is the $20 trim router from Harbor Freight. It has done everything I needed it do and you can buy 5 for the price of the next cheapest. I use it for flush cut on 1/4" or paneling and edging pine and plywood. Buying multiple routers is the only way to go in my book, a compact router is worth its weight in gold if you have small jobs or lighter material, but if you want to cut 3/4" on a regular basis you will want a full size.

If you're going to have one router I would get the bigger one because down the road you can do more things where if you get a small router you might eventually have to buy another one to do bigger jobs

4 hours ago, Logan p said:

If you're going to have one router I would get the bigger one because down the road you can do more thing where if you get a small router you might eventually have to buy another one to do bigger jobs

I don't see this as a problem ;)

I used the Colt for the first time last night on some 3/4" plywood and I love it (keeping in mind this is my first router). I bought a cheapo set of bits (Ryobi) and I wasn't impressed with the cuts (alot of tear out) so I went back to HD and got a Freud bit and it made a world of difference.

• Like 2

I don't see this as a problem [emoji6]

I used the Colt for the first time last night on some 3/4" plywood and I love it (keeping in mind this is my first router). I bought a cheapo set of bits (Ryobi) and I wasn't impressed with the cuts (alot of tear out) so I went back to HD and got a Freud bit and it made a world of difference.

Frueds are amazing bits, I have some garbage ones too but I don't use those unless it's for something where precision doesn't matter

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, TheRLB said:

I don't see this as a problem ;)

Changing bits on routers can make a big difference but there are just some jobs small routers are not the best for every with good bits

Just going by the question you asked I would say go with the small combo router (DeWalt makes a good one as well) that way you would have a plunge too. You can always get a large one if you want to go with a router table at some point.