What was your first power tool?

PutnamEco

The first power tool I received was a hand me down Black & Decker U-400 1/4" drill. I got it from my father because he got tired of me always borrowing it to fix my bicycles and such. I still have this drill somewhere in my shop and even use it on occasion. It still runs like a Swiss watch. Remarkable that it still works after all these years. It has become a reminder that they used to make tools to last a lifetime.

The first power tool I purchased on my own was a 1/3 sheet sander, again from Black & Decker, I have forgotten which model it was as I no longer have the tool. I got it to sand down an old rowboat I was refinishing at the time, that I got fed up with trying sand by hand. That tool was a major purchase at that time in my life. I wish I still had that sander but it was lost in a move.

So what was your first power tool, and what memories do you have of it?

For Christmas when I was 14 I got a 9.6V Dewalt drill kit and a 10 amp recip saw. I still have them both and while the drill batteries died long ago, I still use the recip saw fairly often.

You may be able to have the batteries rebuilt. I just had my Milwaukee 9.6s rebuilt not that long ago, from MTO Battery. I have always been happy with their service, I get their heavy duty rebuilds and they are better than new. I cna't see letting a perfectly serviceable to go to waste.

The original Makita cordless drill was mine chuck key and batteries that lasted slightly longer than a sneeze but I felt like a screwdriving God. LOL :)

Did you have one of the 7.2v drills or an even earlier version with the internal battery?

I had tried out one of the Makita 7.2s but I just couldn't part with my money for one. I was still a fan boy of Black & Decker at the time and if I had felt cordless drill were worth it at that time I probably would have bought one of theirs. It wasn’t until the manufacturers started to come out with 9.6v tools (and one of my workmates bought an AEG cordless drill) that I became interested and bought my first cordless drill, I got the Milwaukee and followed that about 18 months later with my first Makita. My 9.6 Milwaukee has a bit of play in the shaft but still works, my Makita has a worn out clutch that slips well before maximum torque is reached making it pretty much useless. I don't think I'll ever repair either as I have later tools that still function well, and I can still use the Milwaukee for stirring paint and the Makita for drilling 1/8" pilot holes.

The first of the slide in battery type.

By today's standards they were crap but back in the day it was like Mr Armstrong brought it back from the Moon.

But if you were putting in a lot of short screws they were great.

That was one of the reasons I didn't pick up the 7.2v, it could hardly drive in a wood screw, when my corded Screw-Shooter could with ease. That and the fact that you could only drill about four 1/2" holes.

I looked in to aftermarket batteries but I don't really need the drill anymore. I just keep it for the fact that it was the first.

Rebuilds can often be cheaper than aftermarket batteries. I don't know about you, but I can always find a use for another drill, if for nothing else, old drills make wonderful tools for carrying in your vehicle.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The Black and Decker Versapack drill, reciprocating, saw, and flashlight from the factory recon store. I think I sold them at a garage sale as the batteries were dead and I had much better tools by then the first generation ryobi lithium ion tools.

Its the all metal version without double insulation or a three prong plug. I replaced the power cord many years ago. Perhaps I should retrofit a new three wire cord with the grounding plug.

Reason I asked was because, as far as I know, plastic bodies didn't debut until around 1956, meaning it would have been a very early plastic model. I'd still rather have metal. I wouldn't worry much about the cord either.

• 4 weeks later...

My first tool was a little baby hammer and a hand saw

I got a little set for Christmas when I was a little boy that hat a hammer, saw, and a few other things my dad ended up hitting with the mower. How old are you Andy? I'll bet it was probably the same set. Mine was blue I believe.

Hrmm, totally had conductors age wrong I totally though he was in his 40's 50's. I'm older than you are I'm going to be 33 by September.

I get that alot. People always think I'm older than I am for some reason.