Milwaukee vs DeWalt....

RickyMcGrath

17 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Yet they were smart enough to put an power cord on it? Hmmmmmm

They wanted to make the world's first 12" miter but knew even with 2xbattery packs the runtime might still be a little underwhelming so they knew from the beginning it was going to be a plugin hybrid. I think the majority of these saws might never run off battery, or at most occasionally on battery. The only reason Dewalt bent over backwards to get to 60v and maintain compatibility with the 20's was so the motor could be run off the mains as well with a 2x60v setup reaching 120v...

2 hours ago, kruton said:

I think regardless of what team you are on its healthy to have the competition. It's always good to have innovation regardless if it's your brand or not, keeps things from getting stale. I'll admit that being into Bosch, Makita and Metabo cordless it has been as an "outsider" to watch the banter. Now keep those jabs coming fellas, maybe one day you'll be lucky enough to get some real Bosch tools! emoji6.pngemoji16.pngemoji90.pngemoji533.png

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Honestly, that's why I'm a little annoyed by this release. I truly find it underwhelming and wish Dewalt did a better job at expanding their lineup. Right now, Milwaukee has a HUGE lineup that has no real competition in a lot of categories, which means they set the prices and that means they don't have to be aggressive on sales in those categories.

• Like 4

You don't think so Bmack? That Milwaulkee has no sales. I think they have sales, but they start out over priced to begin with. For like you said, they have little competition and they set their prices. Which are high. Which leaves us looking for ever penny to save on deals. Thank you deal hunters, you know who you are! For giving us those best buys. 

4 hours ago, RickyMcGrath said:

I was just teasing from my original meme. Milwaukee is a great brand. DeWalt won my loyalty first and continues to earn it. I have a few Milwaukee and a few Bosch tools. If I had to do it over, I would have invested into all three from the beginning, then I could pick any tool I wanted or needed. Unfortunately, I am so invested into yellow, I'm financially stuck. And of course, I love the black and yellow theme in my garage. emoji6.png

I will adopt any tool brand that is a good deal or has something I want. I have a little Ryobi, Ridgid, A lot of Milwaukee, Bosch, Dewalt. PorterCable. One Makita tool their cordless Random Orbit Sander but no Makita Batteries or tools yet. Also a Black and Decker Rotary polisher I never use. I also have a Made in the USA Portercable random orbital sander I still keep because its one of the few tools I have that is made here in the USA.

Heck 6 years ago when I wanted to upgrade from Ryobi I first went to Ridgid but realized they hardly had any tools to expand to back then, but I really liked the LSA especially on batteries. Then I bought a 5 piece Dewalt 20v Max kit that was actually thanks to a TIA video back then, but the lack or additional tools and the launch of Milwaukee Fuel moved me over to be majority team Red for 18v tools. I did have some Dewalt 12v tools also but quickly sold them when I realized M12 had so many more tools. Just saying I might be a Dewalt guy if they had the lineup they have now compared to when I first bought into the 20v max product line.

1 hour ago, BMack37 said:

Honestly, that's why I'm a little annoyed by this release. I truly find it underwhelming and wish Dewalt did a better job at expanding their lineup. Right now, Milwaukee has a HUGE lineup that has no real competition in a lot of categories, which means they set the prices and that means they don't have to be aggressive on sales in those categories.

I just hope they keep going with their promotions after a few o the new tools come out. Would love to buy a few new bare tools and get some free schwag.

• Like 1

You don't think so Bmack? That Milwaulkee has no sales. I think they have sales, but they start out over priced to begin with. For like you said, they have little competition and they set their prices. Which are high. Which leaves us looking for ever penny to save on deals. Thank you deal hunters, you know who you are! For giving us those best buys. 

I think Milwaukee has the most aggressive promos though with free barriers, not always there too tools but HD has a sale going on but 1 save 20, but 2 save ... Something and so forth. They always have something going on

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Glasseyi said:

I never said that Milwaukee has no sales. What I said was that they don't have big sales/promos in the categories that they don't have competition. Look at their LED pricing and compare the lighting sales versus their promotions on drills/impacts/etc.

They have fantastic promotions on the major categories, mostly for batteries which is really what we all want because the cost of batteries is soo high. It's also nice when they do a free tool with kit purchase...but again, look at the categories those kits and tools are in.

17 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

I never said that Milwaukee has no sales. What I said was that they don't have big sales/promos in the categories that they don't have competition. Look at their LED pricing and compare the lighting sales versus their promotions on drills/impacts/etc.

They have fantastic promotions on the major categories, mostly for batteries which is really what we all want because the cost of batteries is soo high. It's also nice when they do a free tool with kit purchase...but again, look at the categories those kits and tools are in.

Price high, see who buys, then have a sale.  Typically you're paying around $50-100 rent for that first few months of having the latest model.  Of course in some specialty cases a sale won't push more product so they don't bother.

Its always drills and impact drivers that have door buster pricing. I got my fuel sawzall and 6.5 circ ass toss ins on a hammer drill and impact driver. Everyone uses those tools, so they're the gateway drugs to get you into a system. As Jeff mentioned, the more specialized a tool, the less promotion it gets. Impact wrenches, circ saws, sawzall, grinder etc. go on decent sales. Hole hawgs, bandsaw, pex tools, etc. not so much. And as mentioned frequently, their lighting products must print money for them. My M12 stick light was free with my fuel hackzall but I think I paid $90 Canadian or so for the M18 lantern and prices only seem to go up from there. 

They had a few battery promos on their new light, you can still find them here and there with a 5.0 and charger

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They had a few battery promos on their new light, you can still find them here and there with a 5.0 and charger

Jimbo

Their market research has shown them over the years what sells products. Including a new flashlight does not sell as well as including a battery carger kit, or a couple batteries, or a free tool. If a free flashlight was all it took to get people to buy in quantity then they would include a flashlight valued at $79 vs a free tool valued at $229.

2 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Jimbo

That was only on the large light if I recall correctly. I really haven't seen more than a couple sales on lights, the biggest being the light you just bought for $20 off.

If Dewalt entered the market with a bunch of lighting and more specialized tools, I bet that we'd see more sales from Milwaukee in those categories...from both companies. Now I know we won't see the ridiculous sales like the old model drills/impact drivers but I think we'd see more variety in the free battery promos or the buy this and get that promos.

Competition is great for consumers, whether it be in pricing or innovation. It's also great from the standpoint of the companies involved, some pretty genius ideas have come out though competition, you see this a lot in smartphones.

• 2 weeks later...

As soon as you need batteries you pay through the nose. Thats one of the big reasons why I went with dewalt originally. That and a three speed transmission on the drill.