M18 -22HD kits

Bremon

Looks like some listings are popping up, the 2721 One Key Sawzall for instance, that have the option of coming with the 9.0 batteries. This could be a cost effective way of getting a pair of the big batteries. 

The downside to this is from what I'm seeing the standard charger is listed, rather than a rapid charger. Anyone heard or read anything about this? With Dewalt's new FlexVolt fan cooled rapid-charger charging FlexVolt in an hour it would be incredibly disappointing to see Milwaukee take a page from the old Dewalt playbook and put out the standard trash charger that would likely take 3 hours to charge a 9.0. 

• Like 2

I agree on the charger, they should really include the rapid charger. I will admit, some of the marketing info seems a bit out of date. I've never been impressed with Milwaukee's website. I can usually find things easier and get more info from HomeDepot's site. I was super pleased when I purchased the fuel grinder from HD that came with 2 batteries because it was advertised to come with 2 of the 4.0ah batteries, but when I got it, it had had 2 of the 5.0ah batteries.

Couple of my recent kits have come with 5.0's, and both of those also included the rapid charger. Both were higher-drawing tools, so I think that they weigh that.

I'm totally cordless nowadays, and still I haven't as yet found myself ever desiring anything more than the 5.0's, or really even the 4.0's - and that includes roughing in new homes with my M18 Hawg. Unless I end up with the SDS-Max or the miter saw, don't see myself purchasing any.

• Like 1

I've had days 30-40 feet off the ground with my Fuel Sawzall rotating 5.0s. The rapid charger could have kept me to 2 batteries on rotation with no downtime. 9.0s with a rapid charger would be even better. Grinder as well is a power sucker. 

Glad to see kits are being quietly upgraded. I was disappointed to see the expensive one key kits not coming with a rapid charger either, despite marketing photos clearly showing it. That varies between markets from my understanding though. 

There is a big cost difference.  The rapid chargers require upgraded magnetics that practically double the cost of parts...from $2 to $4

Maybe they hope people will spend extra money on a new charger, but more people I know will cut their losses andspend money on a new brand.  If I were Milwaukee I'd start a trade in program for chargers.

• Like 2

Yes, exactly Jeff. Look at the difference in price between M18 and 20v Max. I could save around 20% easily. Multiply that by the amount of batteries your average tradie has and it's significant. They can take a wash on the charger difference. 

Sparky, that's interesting. I'm likely going to get that polisher so that's good to know!

There is a big cost difference.  The rapid chargers require upgraded magnetics that practically double the cost of parts...from $2 to $4

Maybe they hope people will spend extra money on a new charger, but more people I know will cut their losses andspend money on a new brand.  If I were Milwaukee I'd start a trade in program for chargers.

That would be great for the pile of them I have

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On July 28, 2016 at 10:10 AM, sparky603 said:

Couple of my recent kits have come with 5.0's, and both of those also included the rapid charger. Both were higher-drawing tools, so I think that they weigh that.

I'm totally cordless nowadays, and still I haven't as yet found myself ever desiring anything more than the 5.0's, or really even the 4.0's - and that includes roughing in new homes with my M18 Hawg. Unless I end up with the SDS-Max or the miter saw, don't see myself purchasing any.

To touch on this, I've been browsing tools as usual, and I think you may have got some outliers sparky. The super Hawg does say now shipping w rapid charger, but the same isn't true on listings for hole hawgs or rotary hammers, etc.

36 minutes ago, Bremon said:

To touch on this, I've been browsing tools as usual, and I think you may have got some outliers sparky. The super Hawg does say now shipping w rapid charger, but the same isn't true on listings for hole hawgs or rotary hammers, etc.

The 2738-22 polisher kit that I got a couple of weeks ago came with both 5.0's and a rapid charger. The Super Hawg was only from last fall, so maybe it's just new releases, and higher-demand tools. I also got the 2713-20 SDS rotary a couple of months back, but tool-only. Looking up the kit quick, it comes with 5.0's, but the standard charger, so who knows how they determine what to package.

• Like 1

Milwaukee customer service emailed me back, I contacted them regarding the rapid chargers and 6.0s. The 6.0 batteries are apparently expected to drop at the same time as the 9.0, and rapid chargers in kits should become more widespread at that point.