New Dewalt stuff at Lowe's

BMack37

Where does where the tool is made have to do with the quality of the tool anyway?

There is a large group of people not particularly here but on other forums that despise non-us made tools, just because it's Chinese doesn't mean it's automatically junk because the build still must meet coming standards

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Weird Tolkienish Figure said:

Where does where the tool is made have to do with the quality of the tool anyway?

Little, if anything, judging by basically every piece of modern electronics I use. I can understand concerns about labor conditions etc., but to label everything produced in China as "junk" pisses me off. This forum is much more open minded than others regarding country of origin. 

• Like 1

Little, if anything, judging by basically every piece of modern electronics I use. I can understand concerns about labor conditions etc., but to label everything produced in China as "junk" pisses me off. This forum is much more open minded than others regarding country of origin. 

Garage journal you will get chastised for Chinese tools in your box lol

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bremon said:

if it wasn't for china we would be sending smoke signals still instead of the internet....

I don't know if this holds true for the tool manufacturing industry but I know a couple Engineers that get sent to China with their work. It is a large manufacturing company that will remain unnamed but they said the problem they run into is not so much the quality of the workmanship but more material related issues. They said if there is a defect in a roll of material the manufacturing plant will still use that bad material because they don't waste any material regardless if it is good or bad. They said they never ran into an issue really with the process and the workmanship just more materials related. I'm curious if that is the same or similar for Tool manufacturers and why some people think tools from China aren't as high as quality. I think sometimes one or two lesser quality tools and people have an Associated stigma with Chinese manufactured tools

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

That could well be Kruton, but that happens anywhere and everywhere. Things like that go a ways towards explaining the different experiences people have with brands. Look at the difference between my experience with Fuel tools and wild's One Key fiasco. Neither of us is wrong, but tools are made by people, and people make mistakes (regardless of where they're born or live). 

I've never heard anyone bitch about Chinese made goods in person. In fact, I rarely see it on the internet either unless you read about tools. Hand tools especially...ratchets, sockets, wrenches most of all. So many people think truck brands are exponentially better wrenches, when in reality, they are moderately better wrenches with a financing plan and, depending on your driver, great service and warranty experience. 

That could well be Kruton, but that happens anywhere and everywhere. Things like that go a ways towards explaining the different experiences people have with brands. Look at the difference between my experience with Fuel tools and wild's One Key fiasco. Neither of us is wrong, but tools are made by people, and people make mistakes (regardless of where they're born or live). 

I've never heard anyone bitch about Chinese made goods in person. In fact, I rarely see it on the internet either unless you read about tools. Hand tools especially...ratchets, sockets, wrenches most of all. So many people think truck brands are exponentially better wrenches, when in reality, they are moderately better wrenches with a financing plan and, depending on your driver, great service and warranty experience. 

No I would agree. I have had trouble with both Chinese and non-chinese tools. It just happens sometimes and I think it is inevitable with the quantity of products that are being produced regardless where it is from. I have heard of it a little with musical instruments particularly guitars and electric basses. In that case I honestly don't think it is where it is made but the specs the company gives the Chinese manufacturers to build from. People then just assume it is because it is made in China it is lesser quality when in fact what is being specified is lesser

From my perspective, what makes me upset about offshoring is when there is no reduction in price to match. As an example, I've played drums and been an enthusiast of them for around 15 years now. 15 years ago all the pro lines (The Fuel/XR type stuff lol) were made in Japan, Germany, USA. The entry and mid level stuff was China, Taiwan. Now a lot of the pro stuff is China as well, and still costs thousands and thousands. Hardware, ie, stands, pedals, etc., like wrenches, ratchets, and sockets, are basically all Taiwan now. Yet you can still easily spend $500+ on a pro caliber double pedal made in a country where people aren't paid what they deserve, which makes you ask yourself what it is *you* as a consumer are paying for. 

Quality wise, I see no difference, it's just a matter of where the money is going, which generally seems to be fewer and fewer pockets now.

• Like 2

From my perspective, what makes me upset about offshoring is when there is no reduction in price to match. As an example, I've played drums and been an enthusiast of them for around 15 years now. 15 years ago all the pro lines (The Fuel/XR type stuff lol) were made in Japan, Germany, USA. The entry and mid level stuff was China, Taiwan. Now a lot of the pro stuff is China as well, and still costs thousands and thousands. Hardware, ie, stands, pedals, etc., like wrenches, ratchets, and sockets, are basically all Taiwan now. Yet you can still easily spend $500+ on a pro caliber double pedal made in a country where people aren't paid what they deserve, which makes you ask yourself what it is *you* as a consumer are paying for. 

Quality wise, I see no difference, it's just a matter of where the money is going, which generally seems to be fewer and fewer pockets now.

A fellow musician...I knew I liked you. My personal experience with instruments has been somewhat Limited. I have played bass for about 25 years and in 94 I believe it was I got my first German made Warwick and have been playing them ever since. I have tried some of their cheaper rock bass line that is made somewhere other than Germany, China I believe and it is a much inferior instrument but I don't think that is because it is from China I think that is because Warwick just specced the cheaper base

• Like 1

Tbh if the tool does you right and its priced reasonably who cares where its made. The problem i have with chinese manufacturing is that they dont show what city its manufactured in. Its always assumed guang dong and shenzen but there are several other manufacturing districts in china but the 2 mentioned are where you want things made. The only way to tell is the stamp outside of the shipping box that ships to the retailer it shows city province and warehouse. But honestly i would rather pay people in the states to make my stuff. 

• Like 1