Tools you love but hate that sound.

StrippedScrew

Ok its no secret we are all tool freaks here no point in hiding it ;D But lets be honest there has got to be that one tool you love using but the sound can be irritating sometimes for example, I was in a tight enough space today putting in some small lags with my impact driver and I forgot to bring some ear protection as using the impact driver in confined spaces is deafening but boy it is so grating surely I'm not the only one.

Another shout out would have to be the power planer just sounds like the wood is screaming for me to stop. :rolleyes:

Something I enjoy playing with but hate the sounds it makes...sounds like every girl I've ever dated.

I like the sounds of impacts, both wrenches and drivers but in confined spaces it SUCKS. Air saws are the worst, closely followed by the sound of a compressor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Actually those two don't count because I have no love for them for other reasons too.  Of tools I like, miter saws are probably the worst because it's obnoxious to put on hearing protection for a half second cut, plus the ringing sound some of those blades make after a cut.

Like that ringing sound when you use an all steel hammer striking a nail.

On 8/24/2016 at 4:40 PM, Stercorarius said:

I love the sound of air tools................ Except when they are on a nut or something in a solid resonant steel swather platform that my head occupies at the same time. We run a Kaeser screw compressor that sounds too good to be true.

Nice,I'm familiar with the sound of a Kaeser, they have those at truck tire shops around here. Screw compressors are very nice way to go..

I have an old westinghouse 1.5 hp compressor and motor, old school, goes slow but powerful, it makes the noise fairly easy to take.  It's as big as a 25hp 3 phase motor is nowadays

I can't say I love using something I hate the sound of. Take Jimbo's post for example. I would agree I hate that sound of a hammer drill, but I do not love it, so that's out.

One non- tool example is cicadas are very cool insects but I hate the sound they make during these balmy summer evenings...

I love my milwaukee drills but when I put something big and heavy in the chuck and release the trigger after drilling a hole, it bangs to a dead stop, like it's going to wrench itself apart. But when there is nothing in the chuck it comes to a nice smooth (but quick) stop. What's with that...

Actually a better answer from me, because I love using my Milwaukee drills, is the annoying high pitch noise they make when you pull the trigger. Thought it was common, but my Dewalt drills are all dead silent if you depress the trigger enough to power the light but not spin the chuck much. The Milwaukee's make a sound that is reminiscent of your ears ringing after a concert. 

35 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Powder actuated fastening through metal studs. Yeesh. 

Nothing compared to dry erase markers in paper though, that sound could get me to yell out nuclear codes after 10 seconds. Get goosebumps thinking about it. 

Ugh that's right. All of elementary school I had a hard time when my teachers liked to get easels out and put butcher paper on them and used expos to write in big letters ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bremon said:

Actually a better answer from me, because I love using my Milwaukee drills, is the annoying high pitch noise they make when you pull the trigger. Thought it was common, but my Dewalt drills are all dead silent if you depress the trigger enough to power the light but not spin the chuck much. The Milwaukee's make a sound that is reminiscent of your ears ringing after a concert. 

2 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Ugh that's right. All of elementary school I had a hard time when my teachers liked to get easels out and put butcher paper on them and used expos to write in big letters ?

These two things never bothered me, it was the chalkboards we had to put up with before they switched to dry erase that was the worst. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

These two things never bothered me, it was the chalkboards we had to put up with before they switched to dry erase that was the worst. 

Chalkboard sounds never bothered me. The thing that always bothered me about chalkboards is that they never seemed to get clean. Same goes for whiteboards though. I don't get why it's so hard to wipe them down at the end of each day.

On 8/27/2016 at 10:03 AM, Stercorarius said:

Chalkboard sounds never bothered me. The thing that always bothered me about chalkboards is that they never seemed to get clean. Same goes for whiteboards though. I don't get why it's so hard to wipe them down at the end of each day.

Chalkboard I can live with, styrofoam NO! I cannot stand that sound. If they banned styrofoam from the Earth I would be completely ok with it.

4 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Chalkboard I can live with, styrofoam NO! I cannot stand that sound. If they banned styrofoam from the Earth I would be completely ok with it.

Yeah but take a pile of old styrofoam, a milk jug, and some gasoline and you got yourself a spot reserved on one of five potential DOHS watchlists.

• Like 1

Dude even in my Daughters school there isnt any board just a projector screen and a laptop. 

Even in preschool, my fiancées room has a smart board with a projector and two dry erase boards, don't even see over heads anymore it's all that camera thing, I though those were so cool when I first saw one in college

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1