Dust extractor or dust collector

Hornnumb2

My shop is small and I need some type of dust collection. It will just be hooked to one tool at a time, am I better off with a vac type dust extractor like the dewalt DWV010X or a dust collector like the Delta 1HP 50723?  They are both $299, just not sure which way to go. Thanks Michael

What kind of tools are you using? If your using a miter saw or a router I'd recommend a portable DC unit with HEPA. However, if you are using planers, jointers, table saws etc I'd say screw it and go for a stationary dust collector like the Delta or a Grizzly, Rikon, Jet etc...

1 hour ago, Hornnumb2 said:

Would either work with a 20 or 30ft hose or is it best having it close to item being used? Thanks

The shorter the hose the better. For what uses you have described I would go with a HEPA equipped extractor or vacuum system, and to help keep your filters cleaner us a separator like the dust deputy to remove most of the big particles. Unless you have the really inexpensive collector outside it will be spewing the finest particles right out through the filter bag instead of capturing them. The more expensive collectors do have better filters available. It is one of those cases where you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

Yeah, table saw dust is hard pressed to get picked up with a standard shop vac but....if it's a small contractor model you'd be fine. I've been running my Sawstop with a Ridgid shop vacuum for a while (currently shoppless!) and it works very poorly but I have been waiting to get a stand alone dust collector. When I was using my Dewalt job site saw it was great. The problem is not CFM but rather the volume. Also, I have a cyclone attached to my Festool Midi. I don't think I'll ever have to change a bag or a filter again. It's awesome. In your case if that is all you are running, miter, router, saw, you would be fine. But....if you get into machinery, get a dust collector. Even better....get one with a cyclone. 

• Like 1