Initial Thoughts on Ridgid R4512 Table Saw

comp56

ok so we know it is not a $3000 cabinet saw but I will say this.... it sure presents itself as trying to be one.

I bought this saw to cut hardwood without spending the high price of the full blown saws

my first thoughts are very impressive, sure it took me about an hour and a half to dial everything in but I'm happy I did

as the results are great. I did not even install the supplied 60 tooth blade, I will keep it for just ripping building material if need be.

here is a shot of Paduak an African hardwood that will give the best of saws a true test from its hardness

as you can see I can cut 0.0500 (less than a 1/16th of an inch) thick strips like butter with a pre-sanded finish using a 90T Diablo UFF blade

20161011_195856.jpg

20161011_195958.jpg

• Like 2

Great to see Comp. Hard to believe you can get those kind of cuts from a saw at that price point. You said it took an hour and a half to get dialed in. Was that because you are a perfectionist, or is it a bit cumbersome to adjust?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, kruton said:

Great to see Comp. Hard to believe you can get those kind of cuts from a saw at that price point. You said it took an hour and a half to get dialed in. Was that because you are a perfectionist, or is it a bit cumbersome to adjust?

yes it was me being a perfectionist, the entire assembly was very easy by myself the only thing I needed help with was getting the saw body out of the box as you assemble it upside down and then I needed a hand to flip it over. (didn't want to break up the box just in case I had to return it) most of the time was spent fine tuning everything waxing it up making sure everything was true with the 2 x 5 cut tests ....truthfully it was pretty good out of the box I just thought if I can get it closer why not......

• Like 2

yes it was me being a perfectionist, the entire assembly was very easy by myself the only thing I needed help with was getting the saw body out of the box as you assemble it upside down and then I needed a hand to flip it over. (didn't want to break up the box just in case I had to return it) most of the time was spent fine tuning everything waxing it up making sure everything was true with the 2 x 5 cut tests ....truthfully it was pretty good out of the box I just thought if I can get it closer why not......

Nothing wrong with that, I've seen enough of your work on here and how nice it is that I assumed it was just you wanting it to be as precise as possible. You are really making me want one of these Comp.

14 minutes ago, kruton said:

Nothing wrong with that, I've seen enough of your work on here and how nice it is that I assumed it was just you wanting it to be as precise as possible. You are really making me want one of these Comp.

if you are looking for a full body stationary type saw I don't think you can buy a better saw for under $600 granted I put a $100 blade on it which is worth every penny as I know for a fact it won't have crap used nail filled wood going through it.....that is what the original blade is for......lol oh and saved about $60 by making my own Zero clearance insert....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Tx_woodworker said:

Well Im glad you've had better results with your ridgid table saw. Looks great. I had one a year ago and the rear cast trunnion was out of spec every time I beveled the blade and brought it back to 0 the rear trunnion would shift causing the blade to heal badly in the rear. Ultimately I sold it.

yes they apparently fixed this issue by beefing up the trunnion design you can tell if  there is a Roman numeral "II" stamped on trunnions. can't say I have pushed 1000's of board feet through the saw  with bevel cuts and 0 cuts but what I have cut so far has been good. 

27 minutes ago, Tx_woodworker said:

I'm looking at the delta 5000 series with the biesemeyer fence.

Im a huge delta/porter cable/rockwell owner.

So with what your saying, would a 2015/2016 ridgid saw have the upgraded trunnions?

I'm not sure exactly but the newest the better obviously......

1 hour ago, Tx_woodworker said:

I'm looking at the delta 5000 series with the biesemeyer fence.

Im a huge delta/porter cable/rockwell owner.

So with what your saying, would a 2015/2016 ridgid saw have the upgraded trunnions?

If you are looking for something a little cheaper than the 5000 series. I bought the 36-725 delta saw from lowes and am very happy with it. buy online with a 10% off coupon code to save some money. Or if your local HD accepts harbor freight coupons the Ridgid saw would be a killer deal with a 20% coupon. 

glad you like the saw comp. My HD didnt have any set up when I looked for my table saw. The delta and ridgid were my top 2. which blade did you go with? I run the frued industrial combo 50 tooth blade. Just purchased the freud industrial thin kerf 24 tooth rip cut blade and it is outstanding. less than $40 for it

2 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

If you are looking for something a little cheaper than the 5000 series. I bought the 36-725 delta saw from lowes and am very happy with it. buy online with a 10% off coupon code to save some money. Or if your local HD accepts harbor freight coupons the Ridgid saw would be a killer deal with a 20% coupon. 

glad you like the saw comp. My HD didnt have any set up when I looked for my table saw. The delta and ridgid were my top 2. which blade did you go with? I run the frued industrial combo 50 tooth blade. Just purchased the freud industrial thin kerf 24 tooth rip cut blade and it is outstanding. less than $40 for it

I am happy with it and getting it on sale for $599 compared to $749 (Canada prices are so much more some times) I looked at the Delta as well from lowes for $749 but they wouldn't budge on price to match HD 

I went with the 90 tooth UFF diablo blade as I cut a lot of hardwoods and with this fine blade it is glue edge ready.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, comp56 said:

I am happy with it and getting it on sale for $599 compared to $749 (Canada prices are so much more some times) I looked at the Delta as well from lowes for $749 but they wouldn't budge on price to match HD 

I went with the 90 tooth UFF diablo blade as I cut a lot of hardwoods and with this fine blade it is glue edge ready.....

ill check that blade out. i dont think I have heard of UFF before. 

• 4 weeks later...