Added Table Saw Dust Control...

comp56

still in the design stages, had this circular lexan tube, cut it around 2/3 and glued end caps on it. I then took a fitting and mounted in on the top with a 30 degree angle. mounted it to a fold down/fold away mounting arm. this way it is completely out of the way when not in use or folds down in place when needed. When down it has about a 2" gap from table bed I'm thinking some kind of brushes to go from the bottom to the table so wood can slide right through it, not sure yet......if anything don't look right it's cause it is just trying things.....3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, comp56 said:

still in the design stages, had this circular lexan tube, cut it around 2/3 and glued end caps on it. I then took a fitting and mounted in on the top with a 30 degree angle. mounted it to a fold down/fold away mounting arm. this way it is completely out of the way when not in use or folds down in place when needed. When down it has about a 2" gap from table bed I'm thinking some kind of brushes to go from the bottom to the table so wood can slide right through it, not sure yet......if anything don't look right it's cause it is just trying things.....

2.jpg

That's slick using the mounting arms like that looks like from a table mounted lamp or magnify glass

7 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

That's slick using the mounting arms like that looks like from a table mounted lamp or magnify glass

thanks guys....@KnarlyCarl that is exactly what it is..... the arm from a desk lamp with all the joints tightened up so it will stay where I put it.....

• Like 2

I am currently looking for some kind of brush I can fasten around the bottom of this capsule so it will create a wall that wood can slide through. Also trying to make it able to lift out of the way of different thickness of stock without having to adjust it. might put small rubber wheels on the front side so it rolls over the wood and lifts the unit to the needed height automatically 

19 minutes ago, comp56 said:

I am currently looking for some kind of brush I can fasten around the bottom of this capsule so it will create a wall that wood can slide through. Also trying to make it able to lift out of the way of different thickness of stock without having to adjust it. might put small rubber wheels on the front side so it rolls over the wood and lifts the unit to the needed height automatically 

Kind of like the brushes on a xcarve router dust shoe

xcarve_dust_shoe_two_pieces.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

yes something like that would be great if it can be found in a 2 or 3 ft length ....probably can just haven't looked yet.

trying it for the first time, cut down dust problem probably 85% maybe more for top dust control. Sure it has it's limits but it is much cleaner now.....some more tweaking but it works......

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, enigma-2 said:

Doesn't most of the saw cuttings and dust exit out of the bottom of the saw?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

most of it does in fact exit out the bottom of the saw when hooked up to a shop vac or DC but not all. I find it worse when using a zero clearance insert and cutting thin.....seeings with both the bottom and the top it cuts it down to almost nothing which I want in my basement shop.

• Like 4

On 11/9/2016 at 9:56 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

Great idea on the Xcarve dust shoe.  I have one of the very first shoes that has bristles that are too stiff for the xcarve just laying around.  I think I may try to add this to my new dust collection setup.  Since I use a zero clearance insert plate, I can get a lot of dust on top of the saw and this may fix my issue.  AWESOME.

• Like 2

just remembered seeing a video from FastCap where they have this product you can use like the dust shoe.  Its called a Saw Stashe.  I'm thinking about making my own overarm dust collection for the table saw and this saw stashe would allow me to add the bristles to the collection piece making it real simple.  The only issue is, it doesn't show up on the fast cap site anymore.

Here is the video of it.