Tech student discounts

grampage

Im currently going to tech school to be electrician. While looking online I found that tech students can get discounts on tools. So far I found; Snap On, Matco, Mac, and Ingersoll Rand for 50% - 60% off tools, Craftsman has 50% off their toolboxes and first tool set purchase.  Do any of the companies that make electrical tools have discounts for tech students? I only recieved a response from Greenlee tools that tech students get 30% off. The crazy thing about these discounts is you can only get them while attending school.

• Like 3

I haven't heard too much from people that do electrical work on the forum about deals. Unless your running your own company. The list of tools a union electrician is expected to have isn't too crazy compared to a mechanic. If you doing you own thing that is whole different story.

2 hours ago, grampage said:

Im currently going to tech school to be electrician. While looking online I found that tech students can get discounts on tools. So far I found; Snap On, Matco, Mac, and Ingersoll Rand for 50% - 60% off tools, Craftsman has 50% off their toolboxes and first tool set purchase.  Do any of the companies that make electrical tools have discounts for tech students? I only recieved a response from Greenlee tools that tech students get 30% off. The crazy thing about these discounts is you can only get them while attending school.

Just a thought... check with your local electricians union to see if they have any details

NAPA offers a student discount on Carlyle tools and Sears used to give a Craftsman discount. That doesn't help you though because Carlyle is automotive tools and Craftsman sucks.

Might be worth emailing Klein, I'd be curious what the had to say. 

• Like 1

I emailed klein 4 days ago the only response i recieved so far was them asking for the address of my school. Still waiting to hear from them. I emailed knipex and there was response was not at this time.  I ll try amf contact Milwaukee tools. Ive always liked their electrical tool line up.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, grampage said:

Fastenal notified me they offer 15% off and Fluke is offering 25% offer certain meters. Every discount i have found so far i have been forwarding to my instructor. Hopefully it will help some of my classmates

i forgot about that. I get most of my electrical tools on an apprentice discount at the local Platt electric supply. They gave me my fluke for about $80 and it was a $100 meter.

You're a lot more likely to get discounts through the seller than you are the manufacturer. Some companies have both, but in the case of Klein, your best bet would be to contact the places that sell Klein rather than Klein directly.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

You're a lot more likely to get discounts through the seller than you are the manufacturer. Some companies have both, but in the case of Klein, your best bet would be to contact the places that sell Klein rather than Klein directly.

Yes. Platt discounts all of their tools to varying degrees. I bought all my Klein and greenlee through them as well.

1 hour ago, Conductor562 said:

Do the big box stores offer the discount or should aim more to electrical supply stores?

1 hour ago, grampage said:

Do the big box stores offer the discount or should aim more to electrical supply stores?

Generally somewhere right in the middle or toward the small end spectrum. Think stores where the employees know the complete ins and outs of the business, not the ones where the employees can tell you that electrical tape is on aisle 26. Some suppliers use different names for it. The welding and industrial stores here call it a student discount and the electrical and plumbing places call them the apprentice tool discount. Just keep in mind the discount can only be so large without the manufacturer being willing to give them a discount. Still better than nothing though.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't specifically heard of electrical tool manufactures doing discounts. I haven't really paid attention to it so I don't know for sure. Perhaps check with local independent dealers as well as manufactures. 

When I lived in the Chicagoland area I went to berlands house of tools(local supply). I asked about a discount even thoe I was buying stuff either way. The cashier said no but called over the manager. The manager looked st me asked were an what classes. He didn't say anything but typed something in register an total went down 15.00 bucks. I have a feeling that's not policy but I wasn't gonna complain. 

I know airgas does a discount with student discount, but they don't have electrical tools.  

On 12/22/2016 at 1:03 PM, Fletcher94 said:

I haven't specifically heard of electrical tool manufactures doing discounts. I haven't really paid attention to it so I don't know for sure. Perhaps check with local independent dealers as well as manufactures. 

When I lived in the Chicagoland area I went to berlands house of tools(local supply). I asked about a discount even thoe I was buying stuff either way. The cashier said no but called over the manager. The manager looked st me asked were an what classes. He didn't say anything but typed something in register an total went down 15.00 bucks. I have a feeling that's not policy but I wasn't gonna complain. 

I know airgas does a discount with student discount, but they don't have electrical tools.  

Any idea what the Airgas discount might be?

I'm starting a mig welding class soon.

John

2 hours ago, DiverDn said:

Any idea what the Airgas discount might be?

I'm starting a mig welding class soon.

John

I can't remeber the exact amount. I know it wasn't a huge percentage but better then nothing. It was a few years ago so who knows if it's still even offered.

Airgas is great for welding stuff, but there not the cheapest. There's a lot of online stores cheaper for general supplies. However gloves an jackets it helps to try on first. 

Some advice on what stuff to buy/bring...

My local community college had the required tools but I brought my own an then some. It is really convient an saves lots of time. I think that's one of the many things that helped me succeed. 

I have heard some schools don't let you bring your own tools, cause it could be a weapon. Make sure your allowed to before doing so. My school let me bring it in the welding building, no were else.

I brought 2 backpacks an a small metal toolbox to class. Small backpacks so they fit in locker. Small Metal toolbox to bring into booth with my tools needed. Always good to keep extra clothes in car as well.

In no particular order my bags had the following

-textbooks/notebooks

-conversion/reference charts

-blank paper, graph paper 

-pens multiple colors, highlighters multiple colors, pencil, mini stapler/paperclips, small scissors

-clear saftey glasses, 2 pairs 

-welding goggles shade 5

-welding helmelt, digital auto darkening multiple shade 

-extra lenses for helmet an goggles

-extra batteries for helmet

-2 pairs of gloves for each process

-General handling gloves

-welding jacket

-multiple soapstone 

-sharpies multiple colors 

-tape measure

-metal speed square 

-metal thickness guage

-chipping hammer

-ball pein hammer 

-mig pliers

-locking pliers

-tounge an groove pliers 

-side cutters 

-punch an chisel

I could be forgetting something as well.

It's a lot of stuff. Some people laughed at me being over prepared. I just would rather be prepared an ready. Can't tell you how many people failed partly because they were unprepared. I am usually not a neat person but it helps to be organized, expecially when turning stuff in. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fletcher94 said:

I can't remeber the exact amount. I know it wasn't a huge percentage but better then nothing. It was a few years ago so who knows if it's still even offered.

Airgas is great for welding stuff, but there not the cheapest. There's a lot of online stores cheaper for general supplies. However gloves an jackets it helps to try on first. 

Some advice on what stuff to buy/bring...

My local community college had the required tools but I brought my own an then some. It is really convient an saves lots of time. I think that's one of the many things that helped me succeed. 

I have heard some schools don't let you bring your own tools, cause it could be a weapon. Make sure your allowed to before doing so. My school let me bring it in the welding building, no were else.

I brought 2 backpacks an a small metal toolbox to class. Small backpacks so they fit in locker. Small Metal toolbox to bring into booth with my tools needed. Always good to keep extra clothes in car as well.

In no particular order my bags had the following

-textbooks/notebooks

-conversion/reference charts

-blank paper, graph paper 

-pens multiple colors, highlighters multiple colors, pencil, mini stapler/paperclips, small scissors

-clear saftey glasses, 2 pairs 

-welding goggles shade 5

-welding helmelt, digital auto darkening multiple shade 

-extra lenses for helmet an goggles

-extra batteries for helmet

-2 pairs of gloves for each process

-General handling gloves

-welding jacket

-multiple soapstone 

-sharpies multiple colors 

-tape measure

-metal speed square 

-metal thickness guage

-chipping hammer

-ball pein hammer 

-mig pliers

-locking pliers

-tounge an groove pliers 

-side cutters 

-punch an chisel

I could be forgetting something as well.

It's a lot of stuff. Some people laughed at me being over prepared. I just would rather be prepared an ready. Can't tell you how many people failed partly because they were unprepared. I am usually not a neat person but it helps to be organized, expecially when turning stuff in. 

Great list. I have most of that stuff already so it won't be any trouble to gather it up and put it a backpack.

thanks

John