Handfools

WeldfabNeil

Well, if I die tonight I guess I've accomplished something ?

But seriously, life is too aggravating as it is. I try not to add to the frustration by buying shitty tools.

And yes, I'd have given you hell about buying a GatorGrip ?

• Like 2

Ok crew what are your worst handfools that you have owned? 

Handfools- the worst tools you ever owned. 

Me an JMG we're talking over in the chat room, an came up with this word. It came about cause my inproper spelling. 

In no particular order I listed the first ten I thought of. 

1. Black an decker battery powered adjustable wrench

2. Craftsman indexing head pry bar

3. Husky interchangble head tin snips 

4. kobalt locking pliers

5. Harbor freight Calipers 

6. Harbor freight wood chisel set 

7. Craftsman multi cutter 

8. Kobalt digital tourque wrench 

9. Tool shop tin snips

10. Masterforce 36" folding bolt cutters 

I received a black and decker battery powered adjustable wrench on year. I have to agree that it's not very good. I still have it. But never use it. I have a hard time getting rid of a tool even if it is junk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok crew what are your worst handfools that you have owned? 

Handfools- the worst tools you ever owned. 

Me an JMG we're talking over in the chat room, an came up with this word. It came about cause my inproper spelling. 

In no particular order I listed the first ten I thought of. 

1. Black an decker battery powered adjustable wrench

2. Craftsman indexing head pry bar

3. Husky interchangble head tin snips 

4. kobalt locking pliers

5. Harbor freight Calipers 

6. Harbor freight wood chisel set 

7. Craftsman multi cutter 

8. Kobalt digital tourque wrench 

9. Tool shop tin snips

10. Masterforce 36" folding bolt cutters 

I received a black and decker battery powered adjustable wrench on year. I have to agree that it's not very good. I still have it. But never use it. I have a hard time getting rid of a tool even if it is junk.

21 minutes ago, ikepete said:

Tell me about it! I can't either!

Haha only real use for my Milwaukee ncv tester is a penlight! Got two for one deal and it has worked fine, but I mainly got it for the light lol!!

I bought a two for ten pack about five years ago. Complete junk. I haven't seen them in HD again until about a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 hours ago, ikepete said:

Same, I end up throwing it in a pile and never use it. I've taken some and tried to modify them.

7 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Black and dicker adjustable wrench operated by a battery?? That just sounds horrid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was. They called it an auto wrench or something. 

One of of those tools designed for people who have no business using tools

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

Ugh gag me

Thats what I thought when I got it, but I just smiled an said thank you. My aunt gave me it along with a Best Buy gift card. She was just trying to be nice when I graduated.

I tried it once for laughs. It's jaw was wobbly an handle was bulky. Not sure were it ended up but I no longer have it. Sure don't miss it either. 

8 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Black and dicker adjustable wrench operated by a battery?? That just sounds horrid

Ah yes, I recall that ad or YouTube video who knows when I saw that. The bulkiness of that wrench would make it largely unusable 

My pet name for BD is "Blackened Pecker". My brother always used to buy their circular saws, because he considered them cheap throwaways. Never understood the logic, and I would rather have sex with an electrical outlet than ever use one of them again (hence the nickname). I still have the Milwaukee 7 1/4" saw I purchased the minute I could afford one, over thirty years ago. My brother could have bought at least three Milwaukee saws for all the ones he threw away in the early years.

Once I bought a pair of cheap laser levels that didn't work at all.  Basically you had to set out a real level and align the laser line to it.  So what was the point?

Over the years I've received my share of gimmicky tools as gifts from well-meaning friends and relatives.  There's a socket set that has a hole through the ratchet handle so you can turn nuts on long bolts.  Another one that has a worklight on the ratchet handle (and this was in the days before LEDs).  Interchangeable-bit screwdrivers made of cheap plastic with all the bits rattling around inside the handle.  A dry car wash brush (yeah right, like I'm gonna drag a dry brush across the dirt). 

I know I'm gonna take heat for this one, but I'm not impressed at all with FastCap tape measures.  Got a pair of them for christmas this year (I put them on my list because people here rave about them) and they're going back to Amazon.  A 25' tape that's too flimsy to stay flat when you extend it across a flat surface is useless.  

Probably the most frustrating handfool was a Stanley combination square that wasn't square.  I'd guess it was off about 1/16" across an 11.5" board. I used it for a stupidly long time, with cuts turning out just a little bit off, before I finally figured out that the problem was the tool and not me.

• Like 2

Speed Out extractor bits (as pretty much everyone else said)

Every single adjustable wrench ever. Seriously I get the concept but how is it helpful if every time you go to turn the bolt or nut it loosens itself and slips? I shouldn't have to hold my thumb down hard on the screw to keep it right on the bolt.

Every tongue and groove plier I've tried other than Channellock, Irwin (with the push button), and the Gearwrench ones I currently have.

Lisle convertible internal/external snap ring pliers

More than likely these Southwire wire strippers I just got.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, justinkendall said:

Every single adjustable wrench ever. Seriously I get the concept but how is it helpful if every time you go to turn the bolt or nut it loosens itself and slips? I shouldn't have to hold my thumb down hard on the screw to keep it right on the bolt.

Every tongue and groove plier I've tried other than Channellock, Irwin (with the push button), and the Gearwrench ones I currently have.

Lisle convertible internal/external pliers

That's why I got the knipex pliers wrench... Wanted something like adjustable wrenches but better. Haven't touched adjustable wrenches since. 

Got an older plumber here who keeps some real gems of adjustable wrenches.... stiff and rusty, I grabbed one and the screw wouldn't turn with my thumb. This is a guy who could do anything with his eyes closed and do it perfectly... But you will go mad trying to use his poorly maintained hand tools. 

I simply shook my head and grabbed some dry to touch lube.... Should have just brought my own hands tools... Now I know better when I have to go with him on jobs.

24 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

That's why I got the knipex pliers wrench... Wanted something like adjustable wrenches but better. Haven't touched adjustable wrenches since. 

Got an older plumber here who keeps some real gems of adjustable wrenches.... stiff and rusty, I grabbed one and the screw wouldn't turn with my thumb. This is a guy who could do anything with his eyes closed and do it perfectly... But you will go mad trying to use his poorly maintained hand tools. 

I simply shook my head and grabbed some dry to touch lube.... Should have just brought my own hands tools... Now I know better when I have to go with him on jobs.

Once I get my tool fund built up (2016 depleted it, thanks Milwaukee!) again I'm going to hit KC Tool hard picking up Knipex, Wera, and Wiha tools.

• Like 1

Once I bought a pair of cheap laser levels that didn't work at all.  Basically you had to set out a real level and align the laser line to it.  So what was the point?

Over the years I've received my share of gimmicky tools as gifts from well-meaning friends and relatives.  There's a socket set that has a hole through the ratchet handle so you can turn nuts on long bolts.  Another one that has a worklight on the ratchet handle (and this was in the days before LEDs).  Interchangeable-bit screwdrivers made of cheap plastic with all the bits rattling around inside the handle.  A dry car wash brush (yeah right, like I'm gonna drag a dry brush across the dirt). 

I know I'm gonna take heat for this one, but I'm not impressed at all with FastCap tape measures.  Got a pair of them for christmas this year (I put them on my list because people here rave about them) and they're going back to Amazon.  A 25' tape that's too flimsy to stay flat when you extend it across a flat surface is useless.  

Probably the most frustrating handfool was a Stanley combination square that wasn't square.  I'd guess it was off about 1/16" across an 11.5" board. I used it for a stupidly long time, with cuts turning out just a little bit off, before I finally figured out that the problem was the tool and not me.

Talking about a pass through socket and ratchet set? Those are actually nice depending on your brand but my gear wrench vortex set and sockets are very useful

13 hours ago, justinkendall said:

Lisle convertible internal/external snap ring pliers

For a true adjustable wrench, try Channellock. They are the only adjustable wrench that I've tried that works like you expect it, it doesn't loosen until you make it loosen.

Alternatively, Knipex pliers wrench, they're pricey but they're worth every penny.

• Like 1