Handfools

WeldfabNeil

Ok crew what are your worst handfools that you have owned? 

Handfools- the worst tools you ever owned. 

Me an JMG we're talking over in the chat room, an came up with this word. It came about cause my inproper spelling. 

In no particular order I listed the first ten I thought of. 

1. Black an decker battery powered adjustable wrench

2. Craftsman indexing head pry bar

3. Husky interchangble head tin snips 

4. kobalt locking pliers

5. Harbor freight Calipers 

6. Harbor freight wood chisel set 

7. Craftsman multi cutter 

8. Kobalt digital tourque wrench 

9. Tool shop tin snips

10. Masterforce 36" folding bolt cutters 

• Like 1

I liked channelocks convertible pliers until I met some fellers named Timothy who met a feller named John Deere. When they get together it blows, not in a good way either. I destroyed those channelock snap ring pliers doing surgery on John after Tim tore him up inside. I also destroyed a pair of proto ones as well. I had to get some slightly heavier duty Protos to fix John. I hate John as well as Tim. My worst hand tool is a tie between some kobalt combination wrenches, Pittsburgh long hex sockets, Klein wire strippers, summit racing ratcheting crimpers, and of course Screenshot_20161228-194732~2.png

• Like 4

+1 on speedouts, but you guys have already heard the details of my hatred.

HF ratchets are complete garbage.  One would lock up and you have to switch it back and forth to reverse and wiggle a bit to keep ratcheting.  Eventually the detent fell out.

c6b48c78-0615-4e89-b6ad-40c4650fc6a9_100

This has just about the worst blade retention.  Wobbles everywhere and falls out if you get it dusty from the drywall it's supposed to be used on.  Your forearm will also learn why a nice pull saw costs about 50x that sawzall.  One of these might change my mind though:

Milwaukee-48-08-0424_3.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

HF ratchets are complete garbage.  One would lock up and you have to switch it back and forth to reverse and wiggle a bit to keep ratcheting.  Eventually the detent fell out.

c6b48c78-0615-4e89-b6ad-40c4650fc6a9_100

This has just about the worst blade retention.  Wobbles everywhere and falls out if you get it dusty from the drywall it's supposed to be used on.  Your forearm will also learn why a nice pull saw costs about 50x that sawzall.  One of these might change my mind though:

I guess I've only used it to hack apart PVC and abs piping, not drywall, but the folding Lenox one seems to hold a blade fairly well, but the hinge mechanism is finicky at best.

I haven't had a lot of bad experiences with hand tools because I A: VERY seldom buy cheap, B: Have conditioned my family to never buy me tools unless the verify it meets my approval, and C: avoid anything Sears offers within 3 months of a gift giving holiday. Even so, there have been a few slip through the cracks over the years.

1. Every pair of auto adjusting pliers I have ever tried without exception. Craftsman Robogrip comes to mind.

2. HF 2 lb. sledgehammer. Broke on the 3rd swing driving 24" rebar stakes

3. GatorGrip socket. Worked great for wing nuts. Not worth a damn for anything else.

4. I too had a terrible experience with the speedout extractors.

5. HF locking pliers. Bought 4 pair to use as welding clamps and within 3 months they were all in the trash

6. Had a set of Indian made Gedore DBE wrenches when I was a kid. Dad dug them out of the trash at work. Thought they would be good for me and the neighborhood kids to tinker with our bikes back in the BMX days. Kept us from messing with his. Turns out they were better off in the trash. When a wrench fails to meet the working demands of a 13 year old kid maintaining a Red Line bicycle, it's gotta be pretty shitty. I think there is one wrench left from the set somewhere at dad's.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Adjustable wrenches that aren't Channellock (Irega).

iFixit tools

Speedout exxtractor

Gatorgrip (except wingnuts)

Oil filter pliers (except on PVC)

HF cutters(minus their micro lush cutter)

Have you tried the Proto Clik-Stop adjustables? They are a Western Forge wrench, but the Clik-Stop eliminates any run out and the need to re-adjust. They're pretty sweet 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Have you tried the Proto Clik-Stop adjustables? They are a Western Forge wrench, but the Clik-Stop eliminates any run out and the need to re-adjust. They're pretty sweet 

I haven't, I discovered the Channellocks then later the pliers wrenches and haven't gone back. Though I have heard good things about the Clik-Stop.

• Like 1

Had a friend gift me a pair of Harbor Freight grinders one Christmas. The first one fell apart when I pulled the trigger switch the first time, and the second started up but then fried on the first use under load (less than five minutes or so). As it was a gift, all I could ever say to him was, yeah, they're great buddy, usin the hell outa them...  They weren't even worth the time it would have taken to return them to the store and went straight into the trash.

• Like 3

I liked channelocks convertible pliers until I met some fellers named Timothy who met a feller named John Deere. When they get together it blows, not in a good way either. I destroyed those channelock snap ring pliers doing surgery on John after Tim tore him up inside. I also destroyed a pair of proto ones as well. I had to get some slightly heavier duty Protos to fix John. I hate John as well as Tim. My worst hand tool is a tie between some kobalt combination wrenches, Pittsburgh long hex sockets, Klein wire strippers, summit racing ratcheting crimpers, and of course Screenshot_20161228-194732~2.png

Omg I forgot about the hermaphrodite wrench!! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

c6b48c78-0615-4e89-b6ad-40c4650fc6a9_1000.jpg

I've never used my folding hand saw on drywall. Just on weird pvc cutting applications. Btw that stainless blade is pretty interesting. Don't think I'd ever try one though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I haven't had a lot of bad experiences with hand tools because I A: VERY seldom buy cheap, B: Have conditioned my family to never buy me tools unless the verify it meets my approval, and C: avoid anything Sears offers within 3 months of a gift giving holiday. Even so, there have been a few slip through the cracks over the years.

1. Every pair of auto adjusting pliers I have ever tried without exception. Craftsman Robogrip comes to mind.

2. HF 2 lb. sledgehammer. Broke on the 3rd swing driving 24" rebar stakes

3. GatorGrip socket. Worked great for wing nuts. Not worth a damn for anything else.

4. I too had a terrible experience with the speedout extractors.

5. HF locking pliers. Bought 4 pair to use as welding clamps and within 3 months they were all in the trash

6. Had a set of Indian made Gedore DBE wrenches when I was a kid. Dad dug them out of the trash at work. Thought they would be good for me and the neighborhood kids to tinker with our bikes back in the BMX days. Kept us from messing with his. Turns out they were better off in the trash. When a wrench fails to meet the working demands of a 13 year old kid maintaining a Red Line bicycle, it's gotta be pretty shitty. I think there is one wrench left from the set somewhere at dad's.

Is the gator grip socket that thing with the pins that slide back, so it's a "multi size" deal?

Klein NCV testers.

Amprobe NCV testers

Milwaukee NCV testers

Amprobe GFCI testers

Klein Heavy Duty wire stripper

Klein tradesman pro backpack
(That counts right?)

There's about a thousand more that I can't think of at the moment.

That's it, good thing for this post i was going to grab one to keep in the tool box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember seeing one not long ago and almost bought it, but I thought to myself..."conductor would give me shit if he saw this in the new tool thread" [emoji23]

• Like 1

I remember seeing one not long ago and almost bought it, but I thought to myself..."conductor would give me shit if he saw this in the new tool thread" [emoji23]

Ha ha well dude between bmack and conductor they keep my standards pretty high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, NicolasRamos said:

Klein NCV testers.

Amprobe NCV testers

Milwaukee NCV testers

Amprobe GFCI testers

Klein Heavy Duty wire stripper

Klein tradesman pro backpack
(That counts right?)

There's about a thousand more that I can't think of at the moment.

Haha only real use for my Milwaukee ncv tester is a penlight! Got two for one deal and it has worked fine, but I mainly got it for the light lol!!

• Like 1