Help with wood selection

WeldfabNeil

If hardwood is cracked at the end can you just cut the bad end off? Will it just crack crack again? 

I know that's a broad question an may not have a exact awnser. Even if anyone has advice on what to look for that helps a lot. Not sure on all the exact species of wood but know some have cracks. 

It's a co workers wife's inheritance. Me an my welder buddies have no use for woodworking tools an supplies but that kid I help does. Between all of us what we don't buy cheap it it will just be a estate sale. 

It's going to depend a lot on the wood itself. If it cracked because something out of the ordinary was done to it then you should be fine. If it was treated properly and it's set up the same way, you'll remove the crack but the grain cracked for a reason...that being said, that reason could have been a micro crack that was already there or a weak point in the wood grain. Using epoxy to fix the crack would probably be a better option because if you get the epoxy deep enough it should be stronger than it originally was

http://www.woodscienceconsulting.com/wood-science-consulting-blog-/2015/7/30/checks-and-splits

I am being lazy. Instead of attempting to write out a short paragraph or give a simple answer, I will just post the above link. It should answer many of your questions about checks (cracks) in lumber. It is a good primer on the subject. Instead of epoxy, and depending on the size of the split, many wood turners use cyanoacrylate gel (super glue gel) and inject it into the crack in question. Also, if using epoxy, you can make some sawdust from the board itself and mix it into the epoxy before filling the check to add some natural coloration. It won't be a match in color, but may be better than nothing.

I can't really add anything not already covered. Without seeing the board in question, I'd advise you to look at the grain of the wood and see if the crack coincides with it, how large it is, and how far up the board that particular grain runs. 

As stated, there's no short answer.

You should be okay by cutting off the ends but make sure you go in a little bit more. You want to make sure all of the fibers have a nice clean cut and the splits aren't continuning through the core of the wood. Be mindful that different species have different characteristics and moisture in the air can affect these things too. I've got some rough sawn hickory downstairs that's been sitting and acclimating for a year and it's got some splits on the ends that will not affect its use.