Shelves with hidden hardware...

SetBuilder

Work is slow right now so getting projects done around the house. 

I have a bunch of shelves to put up with hidden hardware, so I thought I would show how i have done them in the past. 

Once I found the center of the stud, I drilled a 5/16 hole about 3in into the stud. Then I threaded 3/8 thread rod into the hole, using vice grips.  Then I use a long drill bit and drill into the shelf about 3/4 of the way through. And you just slip the shelf over the threaded rod. 

IMG_4378.JPG

IMG_4380.JPG

IMG_4381.JPG

• Like 7

I have a long run of shelves to do on this wall next. One of my small strokes of genius was to make a stud map before all the dry wall went up, since we did a gut renovation on the house.

We took pictures of every wall and printed out the pics and marked measurements on them. So when ever I have to drill into a wall or hang a picture etc. I know exactly what is behind the drywall and have a good idea where the studs are.

Some are always off a little, but at least I know I will not hit pipes, electric cable etc. 

IMG_4998.JPG

IMG_4996.JPG

IMG_4997.JPG

• Like 3

I did the same thing while we were building our current house.  I took a ton of photos and lots of videos.  It's surprising how much you use it if you have the photos at your figure tips.  The measuring app (Bosch) is a heck of an idea. I'll definitely giving that a try on the next house!

On 1/2/2017 at 10:44 PM, SetBuilder said:

I have a long run of shelves to do on this wall next. One of my small strokes of genius was to make a stud map before all the dry wall went up, since we did a gut renovation on the house.

We took pictures of every wall and printed out the pics and marked measurements on them. So when ever I have to drill into a wall or hang a picture etc. I know exactly what is behind the drywall and have a good idea where the studs are.

Some are always off a little, but at least I know I will not hit pipes, electric cable etc. 

IMG_4998.JPG

IMG_4996.JPG

IMG_4997.JPG

Genius idea dude. Love the shelves too!

I had some time today and made some progress on the shelves. 

I started by modifying a 3/8 dowel jig so I could drill into the center of 1in shelving. I spray  painted the end of the threaded rod so I knew how deep to thread them into the studs. I just used a drill to drive them in :).  When I drilled all the holes I put them in at a little bit of an angle to try and compensate for the weight pushing them down. 

IMG_5031.JPG

IMG_5032.JPG

IMG_5034.JPG

IMG_5036.JPG

IMG_5037.JPG

• Like 1

This is how I used the dowel jig to drill straight holes into the shelving. Since I was using 4 foot shelves I drilled them with a Kreg jog to attach them to each other. As I slid them over the studs I would clamp them together and put the Kreg screws in. Next I made some simple boxes to sit on top. Next I just need to add more threaded rod level it all out and screw the boxes to the shelves. It should be plenty strong. 

IMG_5040.JPG

IMG_5041.JPG

IMG_5044.JPG

IMG_5045.JPG

IMG_5047.JPG

• Like 2

Thats 210lbs on there and I still needed to pull on it to get the shelves straight. Then I added 3 pieces of threaded rod for the top of each box. I did the same thing and put them in on a bit of an angle and had weights on them as I screwed them together. They should be pretty bomb proof even if loaded with all books.

IMG_5052.JPG

IMG_5049.JPG

• Like 1