Interesting tools

Todd the Tinkerer

13 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

Here's another that I'd say would fall into the interesting category.

SK ......pivoting......,,I'm not sure what the hell they called them to be honest. They don't make them anymore if that tells you anything.

IMG_6843.JPG

Those look infuriating to try and use at a right angle.

@BMack37: I have the same Geardriver, albeit a less comprehensive set, branded Kobalt from back when Danaher held the contract. It's honestly a very nice outfit. Did they ever correct the funky set up where you have to twist the collar in the opposite direction of what you want to go? That never made sense to me.

Be that as it may, these days the Mac SPMR357B gets the nod 9 out of 10 times. 

IMG_6849.JPG

IMG_6850.JPG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

Here's one that popped in my head, the Logica Hextension . I love this thing. While there aren't a whole lot of situations where I've fully realize it's benefit, there's no downside to it either. It's made in America by a start-up company too.

IMG_6841.JPG

Here's the write-up I did on it when I first got it:

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2015/07/the-logica-hextension-american-innovation/

I just read the article/story on that. Good stuff. That extension set got thrown onto my list. I've owned/ruined several Hondas and have four brothers who also are or will be ruining Hondas and can see the appeal of it for sure. A 1/2" drive one would be awesome.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

@BMack37: I have the same Geardriver, albeit a less comprehensive set, branded Kobalt from back when Danaher held the contract. It's honestly a very nice outfit. Did they ever correct the funky set up where you have to twist the collar in the opposite direction of what you want to go? That never made sense to me.

Be that as it may, these days the Mac SPMR357B gets the nod 9 out of 10 times. 

It's still the same collar direction, it doesn't bother me tbh. I have three or four Geardriver sets so I'm probably just used to it. I don't use it as much as you'd probably guess from me having soo many sets but it has it's place. I use the nutdriver set most often, the set I posted is what I consider my most valuable...it has an adapter that is 1/4 square female to 1/4 square female, this allows me to use a 1/4 ratchet with extension with any of those extensions. The stubby driver is a lot better to use, imo, the large one is just soo big and clunky.

I also have one extension that is Kobalt with a magnet, I know Gearwrench makes regular extensions with magnets but this style is a first for me.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

I just read the article/story on that. Good stuff. That extension set got thrown onto my list. I've owned/ruined several Hondas and have four brothers who also are or will be ruining Hondas and can see the appeal of it for sure. A 1/2" drive one would be awesome.

I had several conversations with the guys who invented the hextensions. The were great guys. They invented the tool out of necessity and really committed themselves to American manufacturing. They are the type of company you want to support, even if the product does cost a little more.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tcoscarelli said:

Good looking tools. I have never seen screw removing pliers. How are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just buy them now.  They solve every time you've tried to twist something with pliers and had them slip.  The normal teeth are also offset so they bite better than normal pliers.  If you're waiting because you can't decide between sizes, you probably need both.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

It's still the same collar direction, it doesn't bother me tbh. I have three or four Geardriver sets so I'm probably just used to it. I don't use it as much as you'd probably guess from me having soo many sets but it has it's place. I use the nutdriver set most often, the set I posted is what I consider my most valuable...it has an adapter that is 1/4 square female to 1/4 square female, this allows me to use a 1/4 ratchet with extension with any of those extensions. The stubby driver is a lot better to use, imo, the large one is just soo big and clunky.

I also have one extension that is Kobalt with a magnet, I know Gearwrench makes regular extensions with magnets but this style is a first for me.

I too find the stubby to be the most useful. I hardly ever use the T-Handle unless I'm using it as a nut driver. 

The Mac set is very smooth and much more comfortable to use, so I fell in love with it and paid too much for it. It's one of the very few truck tools I ever paid full price for. I think it was around $250 IIRC. Kinda rediculous, but you'll have that I suppose.

• Like 2

Here's another one some might find interesting. Notice the 3/4" Plomb rat at center. You flip it over and the other side says Proto.

As you probably know, Proto was called Plomb up until 1949-50 when a lawsuit filed by the Plumb Tool Company over a dispute about hammers led to Plomb having to change their name. This ratchet is part of a family of tools known as "dual marked" or "lawsuit" tools sold only in 1949 during the transition. By March 1950 the Plomb name was gone forever. 

IMG_6851.JPG

IMG_6852.JPG

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Here's another one some might find interesting. Notice the 3/4" Plomb rat at center. You flip it over and the other side says Proto.

As you probably know, Proto was called Plomb up until 1949-50 when a lawsuit filed by the Plumb Tool Company over a dispute about hammers led to Plomb having to change their name. This ratchet is part of a family of tools known as "dual marked" or "lawsuit" tools sold only in 1949 during the transition. By March 1950 the Plomb name was gone forever. 

That is a beauty, I want that ratchet soo bad. I'm going to have to start browsing eBay.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

I too find the stubby to be the most useful. I hardly ever use the T-Handle unless I'm using it as a nut driver. 

The Mac set is very smooth and much more comfortable to use, so I fell in love with it and paid too much for it. It's one of the very few truck tools I ever paid full price for. I think it was around $250 IIRC. Kinda rediculous, but you'll have that I suppose.

That Mac set looks great. The T handle looks nice because it's offset, that might be rather nice to use right now with my broken index finger.