Help With Tool Purchase

mike2874

I bought a Milwaukee drill kit (2407-22) a couple of years ago after owning a Makita 9 volt for 15 years. I'm not a heavy drill/driver user but there have been several times I had wished I had a drill with an 1/2" chuck. I also own a M12 Fuel Hackzall, M12 Stick Light, 2 - 1.5 batteries and a XC 4.0... that's the extent of my Milwaukee cordless tools.

For Xmas I received a DeWalt DCBL720P1 20 V Brushless Blower kit which I love so now I'm a part of the Dewalt 20 Max platform. Since it came with a 5.0 AH battery wasn't sure how feasible it would be to use this with a Dewalt cordless drill... would it be too heavy?

So to get into a 1/2" chuck drill what would you recommend:

1. Milwaukee M12 Fuel Drill/Driver Bare Tool (2403) regular price $119 Acme Tool, Toolup, CPO, etc. but see Amazon has it for $72 https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2403-20-Fuel-Driver-Drill/dp/B00BYFNCBO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483576543&sr=8-1&keywords=Milwaukee+2403

2. Dewalt DCD791 Drill/Driver Bare Tool. eBay seller has it for $84 shipped http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DeWALT-DCD791B-20V-MAX-XR-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-1-2-Drill-Driver-/201671101435?hash=item2ef488cbfb:g:R8cAAOSw8gV

Or Acme Tool has it for $129 with free DEWALT-DCB203F battery http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/dewalt-dcd791b

1 minute ago, mike2874 said:

I bought a Milwaukee drill kit (2407-22) a couple of years ago after owning a Makita 9 volt for 15 years. I'm not a heavy drill/driver user but there have been several times I had wished I had a drill with an 1/2" chuck. I also own a M12 Fuel Hackzall, M12 Stick Light, 2 - 1.5 batteries and a XC 4.0... that's the extent of my Milwaukee cordless tools.

For Xmas I received a DeWalt DCBL720P1 20 V Brushless Blower kit which I love so now I'm a part of the Dewalt 20 Max platform. Since it came with a 5.0 AH battery wasn't sure how feasible it would be to use this with a Dewalt cordless drill... would it be too heavy?

So to get into a 1/2" chuck drill what would you recommend:

1. Milwaukee M12 Fuel Drill/Driver Bare Tool (2403) regular price $119 Acme Tool, Toolup, CPO, etc. but see Amazon has it for $72 https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2403-20-Fuel-Driver-Drill/dp/B00BYFNCBO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483576543&sr=8-1&keywords=Milwaukee+2403

2. Dewalt DCD791 Drill/Driver Bare Tool. eBay seller has it for $84 shipped http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DeWALT-DCD791B-20V-MAX-XR-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-1-2-Drill-Driver-/201671101435?hash=item2ef488cbfb:g:R8cAAOSw8gV

Or Acme Tool has it for $129 with free DEWALT-DCB203F battery http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/dewalt-dcd791b

It wouldn't be too heavy. I've run the Milwaukee 4.0 and 5.0 batteries on my M18 drill and it's still not heavy. Would I want to be drilling above my head all day long? No. The DeWalt would be comparable in weight.

As far as your two options. I have the 2404 which is the hammer drill version of the Milwaukee you linked. It's a great drill and doesn't weigh too much. I don't have experience with the DeWalt but my guess is it would work comparable to the Milwaukee I have. If you don't have plans to really dive into the DeWalt platform and you don't use a drill every day I would go with the Milwaukee. If there are more DeWalt tools you would like to buy in the future I would get the DeWalt kit because it gets you a free battery for future use.

Dude go for the 791, its a little beast and paired with a 5.0 isn't awkward at all, i wouldn't go bigger as it isn't really necessary especially not having a safety handle but you sound like you need a drill to be your main drill, 791 is a strong choice

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendations I had been slightly leaning toward the 791 and you just pushed me over the edge. 

Wow $66 that's awfully cheap don't see one quite that low right now but do see some in the $70's. Are there warranty issues buying from sellers on eBay or is there a warranty at all?

Definitely  the 791 it's a bad ass drill  just be careful  it will hurt you it almost needs a side  handle  

Yea dude flipped mine a few times, it's an animal, really since they went compact and no handle it needs a kick protection like the Bosch brute

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Well I'm not looking for a drill to hurt me just a good overall drill. Maybe it's too much drill for me. LOL

Personally I preferred the 790 over the 791, it was more tamed and you could probably get a good price on it, same ergonomics and size just the older model

9 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Personally I preferred the 790 over the 791, it was more tamed and you could probably get a good price on it, same ergonomics and size just the older model

If it was red and had a four letter F word on the side would you still fear it or respect it :lol:. Jokes aside, the 791/796 really ought to have a side handle. 

Jimbo are you serious about I should get a 790 instead? I see they cost as much or more than the 791 on eBay.

If it's the same or more go 791, 790 just holds a special spot in my heart it was just a fantastic and smooth drill for medium duty tasks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mike2874 said:

Jimbo are you serious about I should get a 790 instead? I see they cost as much or more than the 791 on eBay.

Go with the 791 dude why wouldn't you want the newest beasty machine? U won't regret it bro.......unless u end up breaking your wrist lol! All jokes aside it's a awesome drill to own?

21 hours ago, mike2874 said:

Thanks guys I'll go ahead and pickup a 791!

Yea dude definitely  get the 791 it is an awesome  drill like Bremon said just use the  variable  speed  trigger  and watch  big bits until  you get used to it 

Well I ended up bidding on 791 and got one for $69 shipped so didn't think that was too bad. I also picked up a DCB203 for $35 so I'd have a lighter battery plus I don't have to rob my blower's battery.

I noticed when I tried to register my tools at Dewalt website it's pretty much impossible to do and Dewalt confirms they have an issue. Is it even necessary to register with them anyway?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mike2874 said:

Well I ended up bidding on 791 and got one for $69 shipped so didn't think that was too bad. I also picked up a DCB203 for $35 so I'd have a lighter battery plus I don't have to rob my blower's battery.

I noticed when I tried to register my tools at Dewalt website it's pretty much impossible to do and Dewalt confirms they have an issue. Is it even necessary to register with them anyway?

The 2.0 ah battery is the only battery I use on small drills and my impact. It is very light and handy. Nice deal too!

• Like 2