Milwaukee Tick

jtkendall

1 minute ago, justinkendall said:

Actually it looks like maybe it does work without the app open. It mentions that the app may use location services even when the app isn't open. Maybe it detected my impact when Josh gave the app permission to use location services but it took a minute or two to actually send me the message in which time he opened the app.

We can try it again tomorrow now that everything is enabled on my phone. Leave me with your impact, run some errands and mark it missing, see if it discovers it without me doing anything.

• Like 1

We just tried it with me leaving, going to the store, and reporting my impact missing. Josh turned on his bluetooth and made sure location services were on. Nothing happened. After 5 minutes of it doing nothing I had him open the app. Still nothing happened. I waited a little longer then decided to come back past the house to see what happened when I was on Wi-Fi. Only then did it find my tool. I am pissed. The other day it must have worked because Josh was at our cousin's on her Wi-Fi network and I was at our mom's with Wi-Fi.

I'm going to email Milwaukee about this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justinkendall said:

We just tried it with me leaving, going to the store, and reporting my impact missing. Josh turned on his bluetooth and made sure location services were on. Nothing happened. After 5 minutes of it doing nothing I had him open the app. Still nothing happened. I waited a little longer then decided to come back past the house to see what happened when I was on Wi-Fi. Only then did it find my tool. I am pissed. The other day it must have worked because Josh was at our cousin's on her Wi-Fi network and I was at our mom's with Wi-Fi.

I'm going to email Milwaukee about this.

I'm telling you it is nonsense tech.

26 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

I'm telling you it is nonsense tech.

I'm starting to feel that way. There are a few One-Key features I think are great like the ability to select your material for the Sawzall (and the cut brake) and the setting different modes on the impact driver.

• Like 1

So assuming this works, this would be great to stick under the foam in my battery box. No one is going to lift up the foam and look at the underside. For $29 it's worth the money to test it since if that box disappears it renders all of my M12 tools unusable and takes all my 9.0's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jtkendall said:

So assuming this works, this would be great to stick under the foam in my battery box. No one is going to lift up the foam and look at the underside. For $29 it's worth the money to test it since if that box disappears it renders all of my M12 tools unusable and takes all my 9.0's.

Yeah if they magically made it viable it would have been very nice to have underneath that removable top piece in the lid of the Ridgid pro organizer I used as a battery case. $29 to have 1k in Metabo, Milwaukee, Bosch, DeWalt, and Kobalt batteries back would be sweet.

1 minute ago, BMack37 said:

I think all of this kind of tech is a great idea but too soon, the technology isn't there yet. It's still a hell of a lot better than a Bluetooth battery.

The only thing about a Bluetooth battery that would be nice is that if I had set my DeWalt ones to lock when they aren't in range at least douceman that took my batteries wouldn't be able to use them. I wouldn't get them back, but it's more than One Key is doing.  

• Like 1

Too bad it didn't have a better gps technology like the
"Find my iPhone"'feature

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Find my iPhone is only better because it relies on wifi and/or the phones cellular network to update location. Milwaukee could include a cellular module and make it always updating, but it's going to cost more and require a monthly fee. If you deploy 50 of them at a grand (for this example let's pretend the actual unit cost wouldn't rise) and each one requires a $9.99/month service plan you're looking at $500 per month. It makes it more useful, but it also significantly increases the cost.

7 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Let's be honest, very few people are going to keep the app running (burning battery life) on the off chance they go within range of someone's stolen tool.  Now if Milwaukee offered a reward (swag, coupon, etc.) for anyone who detects and reports a stolen tool that would change things.

All the posts I've seen from Milwaukee (see their facebook post and the replies they've made) have said the app does NOT have to be open or running, it will ping a closed or "sleeping" app; basically just an installed app is sufficient.

Find my iPhone is only better because it relies on wifi and/or the phones cellular network to update location. Milwaukee could include a cellular module and make it always updating, but it's going to cost more and require a monthly fee. If you deploy 50 of them at a grand (for this example let's pretend the actual unit cost wouldn't rise) and each one requires a $9.99/month service plan you're looking at $500 per month. It makes it more useful, but it also significantly increases the cost.

I get the cost factor and see your point but what good is a tracker if no one has the app on around the tool? We all pay a premium for a level of insurance and to some people a little extra cost may be worth the peace of mind

All the posts I've seen from Milwaukee (see their facebook post and the replies they've made) have said the app does NOT have to be open or running, it will ping a closed or "sleeping" app; basically just an installed app is sufficient.

Still seems like a crap shoot, I'd like to test this out and see if it really works

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jtkendall said:

Yeah DeWalt already offers this product for job trailers. It is expandable with a full range of motion and door sensors available and an adapter to use other brands sensors. It runs off Verizon. 

https://www.dewaltmobilelock.com

• Like 4

The other thing is the size of the tick would be much bigger if they used cellular to track the item. Even just a simple ping would require more juice than say bluetooth.

Yeah the battery requirements could be larger, but the tick could stay roughly the same size. This cell chip is only 1.8" x 1.3" x 0.3".

e84342d98377395ef1abd36f0d730f58.jpg

It requires 1mA while in sleep mode and can wake itself up to communicate with the network. The Tick uses 3000 times as much power as it currently is. Since this is a cellular board you could report the device missing and that send the wake up message, which then tells it to ping its location every x minutes. The battery will die quicker, but will provide you with exact location information without relying on bluetooth and nearby devices.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jtkendall said:

Yeah the battery requirements could be larger, but the tick could stay roughly the same size. This cell chip is only 1.8" x 1.3" x 0.3".

e84342d98377395ef1abd36f0d730f58.jpg

It requires 1mA while in sleep mode and can wake itself up to communicate with the network. The Tick uses 3000 times as much power as it currently is. Since this is a cellular board you could report the device missing and that send the wake up message, which then tells it to ping its location every x minutes. The battery will die quicker, but will provide you with exact location information without relying on bluetooth and nearby devices.

The claimed 1 year runtime puts the draw at 25uA for the Tick.  I looked at the datasheets for the device above and the draw in sleep state is 700uA which is quite high for a production design.  700uA is what I'd expect for average draw on a good chip, but sleep state should be under 10uA for anything that's expected to run on a small battery.  The 25uA average for the Tick is not groundbreaking but not a bad design.

• Like 2