Because water and electricity do mix

So people always say water and electricity don't mix but I always find the two together. Any outlet, box or fixture outside is going to have some water in it eventually. Lighting fixtures are always the first to go they fill up with water no matter where there mounted at. I made the rite call on this one, it was obvious that the one fixture just needed a new lamp (arc tube was black) and the other I recommend to replace since it looked like it got water inside at one point. Its hard to troubleshoot something from the ground so I convince the owner to just replace both fixtures. To be honest I don't like LED fixtures there expensive and the only benefit is lower energy cost. They are going to cost more to maintain and when the driver fails your just gonna have to buy another fixture. But some people just want them so whatever. The one fixture was full to the top with water, two gallons of nasty smelly rusty water. It got everywhere on my tools, boots, lift and all over the side of the building. The lamp was broken off the socket and the glass was floating inside. You can see in the last picture in the middle on the parking lot the nasty rust puddle. Breaker wasn't tripped and drawing over 3 amps. I guess the ballast was destroyed by water and it was just the other light drawing power which didn't work either it had a bad lamp. Replace fixtures and timer which had a bad timer motor. That one light was really close to that 400 amp three phase weather head it would have been safer to use an insulated bucket truck. I put a rubber mat on the neutral wire since it was so close to the lift basket, you can never be to safe. It was a little windy that day which made things worst by having the lift bounce around. There is also a picture of a GFCI that I found last month that water got to I threw that in here too. I went to troubleshoot it and the whole thing just fell out in my hand. The whole cover was full of smoke too. I have more pictures to post about water and electricity so stay tuned!!

IMAG2544.jpg

IMAG2547.jpg

IMAG2546.jpg

IMAG2538.jpg

IMAG2545.jpg

IMAG2551.jpg

IMAG2552.jpg

IMAG2531.jpg

• Like 3

Goddamn Justin! Had to recently replace a bunch of gfci' and wp boxes on a retaining wall of a flower bed. Landscaping guys kept adding soil and mulch over time, and burying the damn things, corroded the hell out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NicolasRamos said:

Goddamn Justin! Had to recently replace a bunch of gfci' and wp boxes on a retaining wall of a flower bed. Landscaping guys kept adding soil and mulch over time, and burying the damn things, corroded the hell out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yea doing electrical work outside sucks, by the time your done you have rewired put new boxes and fixtures in. Here in Florida its really bad with the high humidity and rainy season, nothing lasts outside. 

3 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Wow good finds, that's crazy.... You sure that water is not for cooling the light? ?

Its the opposite actually how do you think hot water is made?? You use a water filled 175 watt metal halide lamp and ballast with a recirculating pump. Best tankless on the market!!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Atlas2000 said:

Just curious, had the seals failed or just no seals to begin with?

The gasket was there and water tight if you think about it. The water didn't come out so the gasket is good but most likely the water came in from the top and the top part of the gasket is bad. It was full to the top I loosened the one screw and all hell broke loose. The rusty water got all over me and my tools, I wish I would have taken a picture inside the light because the bulb was floating around in the soup..lol Rite after I took that picture I got tried of waiting for it to drain and took both screws out. Huge mistake..lol