M18 Fuel Hole Hawg Vs. Super Hole Hawg

tpamatmat

So I am ready to pull the trigger on one of these two. I thought of buying one for my wife on Valentines Day, but I have already spent enough nights sleeping on the couch. The "think twice, talk once" strategy has avoided many restless nights :)

Being a remodel contractor, I do both electrical and plumbing. Thing is though I no longer use self-feeds over 1 1/2", with tungsten carbide tipped hole saws for any hole larger in diameter. I know Milwaukee recommends their Hole Hawg for electricians and their Super Hole Hawg for plumbers, but due to my workflow I am thinking I can get away with the standard Hawg. Its just so much more compact and easy to carry around. Just don't want to replace my two ton corded Hole Hawg with a two ton cordless one. What I really wish is that they offered the standard Hawg with a two speed gearing option. Marketing is marketing though and I don't think that will ever happen. Any of you guys in the same boat? Which way did you go?

• Like 1

As far as I know the two speed gearbox seems to be the only reason the Super is so much bigger to begin with. Someone on this board mentioned a HD9.0 really wakes the single speed Hole Hawg up, I think you'll be fine with the little one. Big one is too damn long to store nicely imo but it's nice to have kickback protection. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

Super hawg has kick back protection in it, how much can the hawg do that a 2704 can't?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I was to guess I would say practically nothing. It's 1200rpm single speed is likely in between the 2704s two gears torque-wise with an emphasis on spinning 7/8" augers or thereabouts. 

4 hours ago, tpamatmat said:

So I am ready to pull the trigger on one of these two. I thought of buying one for my wife on Valentines Day, but I have already spent enough nights sleeping on the couch. The "think twice, talk once" strategy has avoided many restless nights :)

Being a remodel contractor, I do both electrical and plumbing. Thing is though I no longer use self-feeds over 1 1/2", with tungsten carbide tipped hole saws for any hole larger in diameter. I know Milwaukee recommends their Hole Hawg for electricians and their Super Hole Hawg for plumbers, but due to my workflow I am thinking I can get away with the standard Hawg. Its just so much more compact and easy to carry around. Just don't want to replace my two ton corded Hole Hawg with a two ton cordless one. What I really wish is that they offered the standard Hawg with a two speed gearing option. Marketing is marketing though and I don't think that will ever happen. Any of you guys in the same boat? Which way did you go?

I'm with you there, i'm so close to pulling the trigger on the hole hawg, not the super hawg, since it's been many moons i've used self feed bits for dwv application and would like the hole hawg profile over the 2704 fuel drill

2 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Super hawg has kick back protection in it, how much can the hawg do that a 2704 can't?

Get in tighter spots, i've used my drill for this application so often but there's been several times i would wish for the right angle function of the hole hawg. 

• Like 1

For tight spots I generally use my Makita right angle drill. I purchased the version with the keyed chuck due to its shorter profile, and it works well enough with ship auger style bits and small hole saws. The super hawg I picked up this last year was for the other extreme, i.e. the large hole saws, mud mixing paddle, etc. The kick back protection is also a welcome feature but would not be a deal breaker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

My hole hawg with 9.0 will chew thru nails, I know the 2704 won't. Thinking back now I know it's stopped on a nail or two but on average it chews right thru them. I didn't expect the hole hawg to be able to do that but it does and I'm really impressed. Totally controllable, no kick back, I use it one hand d all the time as well. It's great now I hardly use my drill at all when I'm roughing in houses.  My boss was so impress d that he bought another one, then switched over from ridged to Milwaukee and bought all new tools and lights and batteries he went nuts lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

With the 2704 in high speed it's all or nothing. If it can do it then it will do it fast otherwise it just stops. The hole hawg although it has slower rpms will just keep pushing thru. It's not as sensitive and makes it feel like a tank. That's with a 9.0 tho, I can't speak for a 5.0. I tried a 5.0 for a few holes and it did seem weaker so I stopped and only use the 9.0 on it now

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

As a dedicated rough in tool for plumbing/electrical this is what I like over the 2704.

1. "Quick chuck", all of my bits are quick disconnect capable so this would be a nice plus.

2. Gear range(1200rpm), For my workflow this is a good fit. With the 2704 I had to gear down to low for the larger hole saw bits (low equals slow) being able to turn all of my bits at 1200rpm is another plus for me.

3.Form factor, bracing the handle of a 2704 against sheathing is a bit awkward, its so far back from the chuck it can really twist if the hole saw bit binds. Using the detachable handle helps(its closer to the chuck), but I never have it when I need it. With the Hawg, the handle is located close to the chuck making it easier to use without binding and a bit longer as well for bracing.

4. Right angle tight access of course.

5. I think Karl might be with me here, but every time I go to Home Depot I have to pick up the tool and touch it. I mean, people are going to start noticing. There is only one solution :)

18 minutes ago, AnonymousJoe said:

My hole hawg with 9.0 will chew thru nails, I know the 2704 won't. Thinking back now I know it's stopped on a nail or two but on average it chews right thru them. I didn't expect the hole hawg to be able to do that but it does and I'm really impressed. Totally controllable, no kick back, I use it one hand d all the time as well. It's great now I hardly use my drill at all when I'm roughing in houses.  My boss was so impress d that he bought another one, then switched over from ridged to Milwaukee and bought all new tools and lights and batteries he went nuts lol

Ok, so the 9.0 is now definitely on my wish list. I should wait till its offered with their kit, but we both know I won't.

35 minutes ago, JMG said:

The super hawg I picked up this last year was for the other extreme, i.e. the large hole saws, mud mixing paddle, etc. The kick back protection is also a welcome feature but would not be a deal breaker.

This is the only reason I would like a low gear option on the standard Hawg. I do a lot of tile work and use my corded Hole Hawg to mix thinset. The keyed chuck is a pita, it weighs a ton and is starting to leak oil. A two speed standard Hawg would have been perfect for me. Quick tip for those who don't do a lot of tile work, Kerdi membrane all the way and never look back.

The 9.0 is offered with the kit. Home Depot and everywhere has it. I bought mine from home Depot, they had a promo for $100 off so I jumped on it. I was in the same boat debating between the hole hawg, super hawg and dewalts new stud and joist drill

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-HOLE-HAWG-Right-Angle-Drill-Kit-with-QUIK-LOK-HIGH-DEMAND-Kit-2708-22HD/300437233

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bremon said:

They do have a hole hawg kit with 9.0s. Keyed chuck is my preference if you intend to do anything at all with it other than hole saws and augers. 

4 minutes ago, AnonymousJoe said:

The 9.0 is offered with the kit. Home Depot and everywhere has it. I bought mine from home Depot, they had a promo for $100 off so I jumped on it. I was in the same boat debating between the hole hawg, super hawg and dewalts new stud and joist drill

Thanks for the heads up, been eyeing the bare tool for so long I missed that. Yeah, I waffled back and forth on the quick chuck vs. the keyed chuck. This will be a dedicated tool for roughing in plumbing/electrical so the quick chuck is the way to go for me. I have the 2704 and makita's right angle paddle drill for anything else.

• Like 1

Just roughed in a whole brand new house for plumbing, basement bath and kitchen, main floor master bath, kitchen, half bath, laundry and mop sink, upstairs full bath..... All with my 2706 and 2704 drills, and while it went just fine with hole saws, the hole hawg would have been so much better for control and getting in between the studs that were closer together than the typical 16" oc ...  There were a couple times I put the drill in low speed when drill overhead just so the shavings wouldn't spray me so much haha but then I caught a nail on my arbor bit and twisted it up pretty good. Just replaced the bit and kept going ..

IMG_20170216_104214325

IMG_20170216_104220168

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Just roughed in a whole brand new house for plumbing, basement bath and kitchen, main floor master bath, kitchen, half bath, laundry and mop sink, upstairs full bath..... All with my 2706 and 2704 drills, and while it went just fine with hole saws, the hole hawg would have been so much better for control and getting in between the studs that were closer together than the typical 16" oc ...  There were a couple times I put the drill in low speed when drill overhead just so the shavings wouldn't spray me so much haha but then I caught a nail on my arbor bit and twisted it up pretty good. Just replaced the bit and kept going ..

IMG_20170216_104214325

IMG_20170216_104220168

We are in the same boat...both of us have done our jobs for years without the Hawg, but damn it sure would be nicer/easier with it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tpamatmat said:

We are in the same boat...both of us have done our jobs for years without the Hawg, but damn it sure would be nicer/easier with it.

Yes indeed, and just today I was finishing up with the washing machine drain and here's a great example of how the Hawg would excell 

The drill is fine in a regular stud pocket...

IMG_20170217_102820866

But you get a few extra braces in there and I have to figure a combination of extensions to use with my drill to get the hole in from the other side of this stud:

IMG_20170217_102838741

Now THAT'S why I have been seriously considering the cordless hole hawg .. Also when I drill holes for water lines using smaller self feed bits I would love it for that, too

• Like 2

A Hawg with those efficient hole saws seems like a fantastic combo. Selffeeds are such battery pigs comparatively. 

I feel like larger self feeds are just a disaster waiting to happen, watching a dewalt flex volt stud drill with a self feed gives me anxiety with how quickly and really unstable it bounces through the wood, same thing on the hawgs, hole saws just seem safer to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Yes indeed, and just today I was finishing up with the washing machine drain and here's a great example of how the Hawg would excell 

The drill is fine in a regular stud pocket...

IMG_20170217_102820866

But you get a few extra braces in there and I have to figure a combination of extensions to use with my drill to get the hole in from the other side of this stud:

IMG_20170217_102838741

Now THAT'S why I have been seriously considering the cordless hole hawg .. Also when I drill holes for water lines using smaller self feed bits I would love it for that, too

Yeah...Karl you need this thing more than I do. Roughing in plumbing day in day out, this thing was made for you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bremon said:

A Hawg with those efficient hole saws seems like a fantastic combo. Selffeeds are such battery pigs comparatively. 

Agreed, running augers/self-feed up to about 1 3/8" and carbide hole saws for anything larger and turning all of them at 1200rpm seems like the perfect fit.

5 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

I feel like larger self feeds are just a disaster waiting to happen, watching a dewalt flex volt stud drill with a self feed gives me anxiety with how quickly and really unstable it bounces through the wood, same thing on the hawgs, hole saws just seem safer to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, you only have to pin your hand against a stud once, to earn a deep respect for a corded Hole Hawg turning a large self-feed bit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tpamatmat said:

Agreed, running augers/self-feed up to about 1 3/8" and carbide hole saws for anything larger and turning all of them at 1200rpm seems like the perfect fit.

Yeah, you only have to pin your hand against a stud once, to earn a deep respect for a corded Hole Hawg turning a large self-feed bit.

Ouch!!!! It's been awhile, but that's all we used to use and yes, they were brutal

2 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Ouch!!!! It's been awhile, but that's all we used to use and yes, they were brutal

Yeah they were...it really wasn't that long ago when the corded Hole Hawg was the only real option for those large DWV holes. Thankfully those days are over.

• Like 1