What do you think is the most capable cordless 7 1/4" circular saw on the market right now?

newusername84

I think you might want to revise what you are asking as many things can be the most powerful but yet not effective, efficient or practical.

Personal a lot of guys use Makita circular saws if you are looking at a corded saw.

But I would look for something running 13 to 15 amps, rpms between 4 and 6000.

I am not a worm gear guy as I have no experience with one other than I know they are heavy.

But I just reread your post because my kids make me a dumbarse with having to yell at them and trying to read your post correctly.

I have an old 18 volt NiCd Hitachi that does well but it does seem to bog down and stall out in long cuts and thick material if you try to push it, but that is where the 120 ac battery adapter comes into play by giving you constant power. That will increase your saws capability.

The guys on my crew run the Dewalt XR pro saws (5000 rpm) and they seem to do rather well. I think if you team it up with a 60 volt flex battery, it will impress you and increase the power a bit. They may have a battery adapter to fun on 120 but not positive.

I am currently getting ready to put the Metabo 36 volt circular saw to use as I just bought it last night.

It is a heavy saw, balanced well and the guards are all metal. Has the ability to run in silent auto ramp up mode. Saw will run at 2000 rpm till it bogs down then ramp up to 4000 rpm when needed. It is a good looking saw.

It to will run on 120 volt AC with the battery adapter. They have a rebate right now when you buy a tool, they will send you an ac battery adapter or a free 4 ah battery.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

38296dc6a7fa834644d36c1ec1f917fc.jpgb482f74f152aa7fed083339bd8b29c56.jpg

• Like 1

BTW, make sure you check out the promo for any saw you are going to buy before you buy it, I believe Dewalt has a promo right now that if you buy any 2 bare tools they will send you a starter kit free that consists of 2 batteries and a charger. I believe ToolBarn has all the promos listed on their site.

The Dewalt Flexvolt “worm style” is probably the strongest out of a handful of very large, excellent saws, but what do you plan to cut? All the most powerful saws are large and hefty, and we’re at a point now where most newer compact saws can cut through 3/4” plywood all day without fuss. If you’re just going to be cutting 2x4s or slicing through 3/4” stuff in your back yard, you may find all the biggest, baddest saws are overkill.

• Like 1

The Dewalt Flexvolt “worm style” is probably the strongest out of a handful of very large, excellent saws, but what do you plan to cut? All the most powerful saws are large and hefty, and we’re at a point now where most newer compact saws can cut through 3/4” plywood all day without fuss. If you’re just going to be cutting 2x4s or slicing through 3/4” stuff in your back yard, you may find all the biggest, baddest saws are overkill.

Very true.

I do this stuff for a living and my FV stays at home.

61/2” with a FV battery does everything I need it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
On 6/20/2020 at 6:28 AM, boonez40 said:

I think you might want to revise what you are asking as many things can be the most powerful but yet not effective, efficient or practical.

Personal a lot of guys use Makita circular saws if you are looking at a corded saw.

But I would look for something running 13 to 15 amps, rpms between 4 and 6000.

I am not a worm gear guy as I have no experience with one other than I know they are heavy.

But I just reread your post because my kids make me a dumbarse with having to yell at them and trying to read your post correctly.

I have an old 18 volt NiCd Hitachi that does well but it does seem to bog down and stall out in long cuts and thick material if you try to push it, but that is where the 120 ac battery adapter comes into play by giving you constant power. That will increase your saws capability.

The guys on my crew run the Dewalt XR pro saws (5000 rpm) and they seem to do rather well. I think if you team it up with a 60 volt flex battery, it will impress you and increase the power a bit. They may have a battery adapter to fun on 120 but not positive.

I am currently getting ready to put the Metabo 36 volt circular saw to use as I just bought it last night.

It is a heavy saw, balanced well and the guards are all metal. Has the ability to run in silent auto ramp up mode. circular saw will run at 2000 rpm till it bogs down then ramp up to 4000 rpm when needed. It is a good looking saw.

It to will run on 120 volt AC with the battery adapter. They have a rebate right now when you buy a tool, they will send you an ac battery adapter or a free 4 ah battery.

38296dc6a7fa834644d36c1ec1f917fc.jpgb482f74f152aa7fed083339bd8b29c56.jpg

Hi, I think it's time for a new circular saw. I have an old cordless Ryobi 18v. Sometimes even with a fully charged battery, it will not make it all the way through a cut. I need a saw with more power. What do you think? Does anyone recommend another cordless.? (My entire battery set is based on Ryobi) or is ti good to also have a corded one in the tool collection? Thanks

On 2/12/2023 at 1:56 PM, okpermanent said:

Hi, I think it's time for a new circular saw. I have an old cordless Ryobi 18v. Sometimes even with a fully charged battery, it will not make it all the way through a cut. I need a saw with more power. What do you think? Does anyone recommend another cordless.? (My entire battery set is based on Ryobi) or is ti good to also have a corded one in the tool collection? Thanks

I would probably go with a 6-1/2 cordless unless you need capacity then go a 7-1/4 cordless. Corded to me is dead when it comes to these two sizes of circular saws. Ryobi probably make a one+ hp circular saw but the quality of cut and calibration might be questionable. I have heard some of the homeowner grade saws don't run true out of the box and some you can't even get true if you adjust the saw but I have heard many praises towards Ryobi and maybe the Ryobi circular saw offerings could work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 1:56 PM, okpermanent said:

I've gone cordless for just about all of my tools.  I bought corded Porter Cable (PC) reciprocating and circular saws along with a drill just before going all out with cordless and sold those mostly unused PC tools to a coworker a couple of years ago.  

Ryobi is perfectly functional, though as Jronman point out they may lack the accuracy and refinement of "better" brands.  Given that you already have Ryobi batteries, I'd recommend waiting a couple of months for Ryobi Days (if you have a Home Depot nearby) and taking advantage of their annual freebie.  I think they include a circular saw in their free tools.  Basically, buy a battery/charger starter kit (or every now and then a drill kit) for $99 and get your choice of a free tool.