New Ryobi Pressure Washer, stalling and will not accept pump saver fluid.

TimM

Issue 1. I am trying to winterize my ryobi gas powered pressure washer. I connect the pump save bottle to the water intake on the pressure washer, then I'm suppose to squeeze the bottle while pulling the chord at the same time to cycle the pump saver fluid through the the pump then it's suppose to come out the outtake on the pressure washer, this is the second year I've tried to do this, first year I got half the bottle into the pump but nothing came out the other end it took me 20 minutes of constant squeezing and pulling the chord. this year (second year) I've tried for 10 minutes straight doing the same routine and nothing is entering the pressure washer, it's like it's plugged and not letting the pump save fluid enter the pressure washer.  I am going to assume that it should not be this hard to do and not take as long.

Should the engine switch be turned on? should the fuel switch be turned on? should I just use one of those compressed pump saver cans that will blow the fluid through the pump?

Has anyone has this issues.

Issue 2 is (my pressure washer is only 2 years old) is every time I turn it on I let it run for a few minutes but as soon as I pull the trigger it stalls, I can to try 3-4 times every time to get it to run, after I have it running for a while it runs fine. This is a brand new pressure washer it should not stall at all correct?

Good question.  I live in chicago and have never winterized my pressure washer so not sure how it should work.  In regards to it stalling, I always let mine run for a couple of minutes before I use it so it warms up.  Sounds like if you just let it run for a minute or two, you should be good.  They are small engines and they run a little different than a car engine.  If you have a choke, you can look at that setting also.

8 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

Good question.  I live in chicago and have never winterized my pressure washer so not sure how it should work.  In regards to it stalling, I always let mine run for a couple of minutes before I use it so it warms up.  Sounds like if you just let it run for a minute or two, you should be good.  They are small engines and they run a little different than a car engine.  If you have a choke, you can look at that setting also.

Hi Eric,

thanks for replying to my post, do you store your  pressure washer in a heated area? I have to store mine in my shed which does not have heat. Also thanks for the tip about the stalling issue, someone at work also mentioned this that I should let it run for bit before trying it. thank you.!  Also do you know have to can get alerts when someone posts on my thread? I never got an alert that you commented.

Tim

I store mine in my shed where it freezes.  I know you should use some sort of treatment for the pump so it doesn't freeze.  On my gas pressure washer, I turn it off, disconnect all the hoses and pull the starting cord about 3 times.  Usually some water comes out.  I have never had a problem with it breaking during winter but it's one of those things, why take the chance.  The treatment isn't expensive compared to replacing the pump.  Now I think about it, I guess I am going to buy the treatment.  Since I have never used the treatment, not sure how it suppose to work.

At the top of this topic, there is a follow button.  If you click that, it will follow this thread.  Just make sure you have your correct email under your profile and you should be good to go.  If not, please let me know.

On 11/9/2020 at 4:24 PM, Laughing moon said:

I purchased a ryobi pressure washer and am trying to put in the pump saver. Watched the youtube video, seems easy. Not for me. I attach the bottle, squeeze the bottle. Nothing happens, I keep trying, pull the cord, squeeze the bottle. The fluid stay happily in the bottle. I want to scream. Any suggestions.

I bought a compressed can of pump saver by Brigs and Stratton, attached it to the intake and pressed the button on the can, it worked, I'm just going to use the compressed can from now on, no squeezing and cycling required for 10 -15 minutes.

On 11/10/2020 at 4:02 PM, Eric - TIA said:

That is weird.  That is second person who had a hard time.  I am wondering what is going on.  Do you have the hoses disconnected?

Use the compressed can of pump saver, it's easier and faster to use and you can see it work right away. I'm done with squeezing the bottle and pulling the chord  for 10-15 minutes trying to cycle it through.

• 5 months later...

I'm having all the same problems with mine too. The first and second use I could get saver through the pump. Now, I can't get it through the pump no matter what I do. Also when I initially start it now, the engine will begin to stall followed by a lack of pressure at the nozzle and the nozzle isn't clogged and feed and pressure hose aren't kinked. This machine is only one week old and shouldn't be doing this.