New brushless Ryobi impact wrench

ToolBane

It took entirely too long in my opinion, but Ryobi is finally going to be releasing a brushless replacement for their aging p261.

This new model makes about 50% more power, at 450ftlbs (compared to 300 for the brushed model). As is more and more frequently the case among impact wrenches, Ryobi is also marketing a “nut-busting” torque figure of around 600ftlbs. It appears much more compact than the old model particularly in length. Judging by the ratings and size, it looks very much like a rebadged (and perhaps mildly downgraded) version of Ridgid’s current “mid-torque” model. This would make sense as the sister companies used to share impact wrench platforms quite closely until a few years ago, when Ridgid released their first brushless replacement while Ryobi mysteriously did not follow suit.

I’ve been looking forward to this for some time. I wasn’t unhappy with the performance of the p261 per se, but it was prone to expelling far more sparks from its vents compared to any other brushed tool I’ve ever owned. Larger, flew farther, and more frequently. Sometimes up to a foot out and plainly visible in broad daylight. It also smelled unpleasant compared to other brushed tools, even other Ryobis I’ve had. Both characteristics dissipated somewhat over use but never really went away. So even though it’s always worked for it’s purpose it will be nice to be able to retire the thing.

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/18v-one-plus-hp-brushless-4-mode-12-impact-wrench

Looks like a nice impact.  The thing with these new HP tools ryobi is coming out with is they keep creeping up in price.  I could see as a homeowner if you had a couple tools that you used more frequently you could buy say a nicer drill but still be able to buy cheaper brushed tools to fill out your line up.  But I can't see why anyone would buy a big set of the ryobi HP tools.  At that point I think the price is so close to milwaukee and Dewalt you're money would be better spent upgrading to a different line of tools.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 3:05 PM, Biggie said:

Looks like a nice impact.  The thing with these new HP tools ryobi is coming out with is they keep creeping up in price.  I could see as a homeowner if you had a couple tools that you used more frequently you could buy say a nicer drill but still be able to buy cheaper brushed tools to fill out your line up.  But I can't see why anyone would buy a big set of the ryobi HP tools.  At that point I think the price is so close to milwaukee and Dewalt you're money would be better spent upgrading to a different line of tools.

By appearances Ryobi is essentially expanding to a broader price range. They’ll still support the same budget-minded DIY people but also have more prosumer-oriented tools available for people who want to shell out extra for specific tools without having to drop for another battery platform. It could be interesting however in the context of how it affects their TTI siblings. I’ve heard a retail price of $160, and the performance numbers are essentially identical to those of Ridgid. Also looks quite similar to Milwaukee’s mid-torque, but with a somewhat larger performance gap. On the one hand, this could squeeze Ridgid even further, but sometimes I wonder if this is almost preferable to TTI, as the whole lifetime working agreement thing really might not be the sort of thing a modern tool conglomerate wants to have comprising too much of their user base.

Yea I'm sure there's a market for the HP if they're making them and for staying in one battery line it makes sense for some people.  It just seems like a steep price to pay for a ryobi impact wrench.  Granted there will be deals on it over time too but I think I paid $115 for a dewalt mid torque a year ago and I've seen the milwuakee gen 1 down in the $140s.  The last milwaukee gen2 high torque I bought was only $165 even if it was off ebay it was new and had 5 years of warranty.

On 12/18/2020 at 10:03 PM, Biggie said:

Yea I'm sure there's a market for the HP if they're making them and for staying in one battery line it makes sense for some people.  It just seems like a steep price to pay for a ryobi impact wrench.  Granted there will be deals on it over time too but I think I paid $115 for a dewalt mid torque a year ago and I've seen the milwuakee gen 1 down in the $140s.  The last milwaukee gen2 high torque I bought was only $165 even if it was off ebay it was new and had 5 years of warranty.

It might be mistake to look at Ryobi as only a DIYer/homeowner tool.  They really arent anymore and especially the newer brushless stuff can compete with anything from DeWalt or Milwaukee.

Nowdays, Ryobi really is a prosumer and borders on being a pro level tool, especially the brushless stuff.  I own DeWalt tools, Milwaukee tools and Ryobi tools and theres really no compromise in quality or performance with the Ryobi stuff and I intend to phase out my DeWalt and Milwaukee gear in the future so that I can be on 1 battery system.

12 hours ago, Badgerstate said:

It might be mistake to look at Ryobi as only a DIYer/homeowner tool.  They really arent anymore and especially the newer brushless stuff can compete with anything from DeWalt or Milwaukee.

Nowdays, Ryobi really is a prosumer and borders on being a pro level tool, especially the brushless stuff.  I own DeWalt tools, Milwaukee tools and Ryobi tools and theres really no compromise in quality or performance with the Ryobi stuff and I intend to phase out my DeWalt and Milwaukee gear in the future so that I can be on 1 battery system.

I agree that Ryobi has come a long way.  While I don't see them being able to fully compete with Milwaukee or DeWalt, they make a strong case for those like you who want to streamline your battery platform.  One of the most major pros is also one of the most major cons of sticking with Ryobi--their battery format.  Much like Ridgid 18v, Ryobi's One+ system is designed to work across tool generations, limiting their ability to produce tools as compact as those that Milwaukee and DeWalt are releasing (Ridgid's sub-compact line comes to mind, with otherwise tiny tools requiring a large battery mount).  Ryobi has managed to release some tiny batteries recently but the pod-style battery has disappeared from other platforms for a reason.

Another positive thing I believe Milwaukee and DeWalt have going for them are semi-compatible 12v/18v systems.  M18 and most 20v Max chargers can be used with the lower voltage batteries, and DeWalt has a few tools (mostly radios) that can use either battery.  Ryobi seems to be content with having a large and mostly inexpensive 18v lineup.  I like that I can use my tools without additional chargers, and even the manufacturers have offered mixed 12v/18v tool combos in the past.  

If I absolutely had to downsize to one brand, I think Ryobi might be it, though.  Of course, I'd cheat by using my FlexVolt miter saw with the cord, and I'd have to keep the M12 batteries for use with the heated gear and lighting, but most of us could probably get by with Ryobi, whether we are DIY'ers or professionals.

7 hours ago, fm2176 said:

I agree that Ryobi has come a long way.  While I don't see them being able to fully compete with Milwaukee or DeWalt, they make a strong case for those like you who want to streamline your battery platform.  One of the most major pros is also one of the most major cons of sticking with Ryobi--their battery format.  Much like Ridgid 18v, Ryobi's One+ system is designed to work across tool generations, limiting their ability to produce tools as compact as those that Milwaukee and DeWalt are releasing (Ridgid's sub-compact line comes to mind, with otherwise tiny tools requiring a large battery mount).  Ryobi has managed to release some tiny batteries recently but the pod-style battery has disappeared from other platforms for a reason.

Another positive thing I believe Milwaukee and DeWalt have going for them are semi-compatible 12v/18v systems.  M18 and most 20v Max chargers can be used with the lower voltage batteries, and DeWalt has a few tools (mostly radios) that can use either battery.  Ryobi seems to be content with having a large and mostly inexpensive 18v lineup.  I like that I can use my tools without additional chargers, and even the manufacturers have offered mixed 12v/18v tool combos in the past.  

If I absolutely had to downsize to one brand, I think Ryobi might be it, though.  Of course, I'd cheat by using my FlexVolt miter saw with the cord, and I'd have to keep the M12 batteries for use with the heated gear and lighting, but most of us could probably get by with Ryobi, whether we are DIY'ers or professionals.

That certainly is one con of Ryobi's battery platform but thats really the only knock against Ryobi and the fact that you can have a couple batteries and be able to have an array of tools that runs on those batteries is a huge plus.  Not to mention the fact that Ryobi's batteries are much more affordable than Milwaukee or DeWalt batteries are.

There was a time when I wished that Ryobi have a 12 volt platform but now that Ive used comparable M12 and One+ 18v tools, the 12v stuff is kind of silly unless you need a lighter, smaller tool.

I used to have a Milwakee M12 jigsaw and recently replaced it with a Ryobi One brushed jigsaw and theres no comparison between the perfomance of the 2.  The Ryobi blows its doors off, even with the orbital function turned off.  Turn the orbital up to 3 and its like comparing a Bugatti to a Prius.  Same with drills.  My Ryobi One+ impact driver blows away my Milwaukee M12 hammer drill and thats even before the hammer function on the Ryobi kicks in.

If I were a trim installer or did electrical and didnt need the power of an 18v, I could see the M12 but for anything else you have to use it hard just to do what you want to do.  Just today I used my M12 hammer drill to drill pocket holes and it will do it but its not happy and it works hard to do it.

For me, someone who is a DIYer, handyman and weekend woodworker; Ryobi gear is perfect because its simple and affordable.  I love Milwaukee but I find many of their gear to be overpriced and unless you are a pro, Im not sure its worth the extra money.  Hey, to each their own though.

• Like 1