More Outdoor Cooking (w/Tools)

fm2176

Hopefully the title isn't too misleading...I didn't use any tools in the preparation of food yesterday, but they sure helped out.  My family and I had been planning a shrimp boil for the past few months, and yesterday was the day.  A friend arrived at 6am with a truck load of wood and he and his wife helped with the final preparations.  My DeWalt 20v max chainsaw is buried somewhere and the gas Ryobi is at the other house, so he broke down the wood with a Fuel Sawzall while I pressure washed the pollen off everything.  

After a morning beer run that saw us come home with a case of Coors Light along with the last 10 Bud Light Cheladas and last four boxes of Pabst Blue Ribbon hard coffee, the cooking commenced.  First up, 16 pounds of chicken wings smoked over apple wood.  While those were going, I used a Jawhorse to clamp one of my cooking pots while I cleaned it (I have a tendency to keep them outside and to not thoroughly clean them after use, so they get nasty).  No problem, a little degreaser and the pressure washer had it looking like new.

Before the bulk of guests showed up, we made our musical selections.  FM radio on the Score speakers inside for those playing pool, and SiriusXM Ozzy's Boneyard on a ToughSystem radio outside.  I also set mounted two of the Ridgid fans to a tripod, placed the Air Cannon on the patio, and set up the Arctic Cove misting fan near the cooking area.  Once people started arriving, the newly commissioned mini-bar came into play, with frozen drinks of every variety being made.  I came up with a twist while making pina coladas, adding a couple moonshine cherries to the blender.  Maybe the Cheladas and beer warped my taste buds, but the resulting drink reminded me of pineapple upside down cake.

The pot of water went on the burner soon after with a jar of Zatarain's crab boil seasoning.  Once it started boiling, potatoes, corn, and mushrooms were added.  About 20 minutes in, fresh andouille went in.  The little 30-qt. pot was filled to the brim, so I pulled the basket out and added the shrimp for a few minutes.  Some people were already raiding the other stuff before I could even put the shrimp on the table, but once the shrimp went out everyone had plates in hand.

As a final touch, I put two dozen crabs in the pot for a few minutes.  I had asked my wife to pick up live crabs (her face was priceless) so I could either steam or boil them.  For better or worse, she came home with unseasoned steamed crabs a couple of hours before the boil even started, making it necessary to refrigerate them for food safety.  My family pounced on the crabs and before I knew it they were down to the final few.  

Anyway, I love cooking outdoors for groups of people and would count yesterday as being as successful as Thanksgiving was.  As usual, I grossly overestimated the amount of food to buy and now have 24 pounds of shrimp and a couple pounds of andouille in the freezer, a bit of uncooked sliced andouille that may become breakfast, and plenty of potatoes and corn to incorporate into dinner over the next week.  I also have a back porch stocked with soft drinks and a near-untouched case of Coors Light to work on today.  My friend that showed up early made a late-day beer run, then disappeared shortly afterward without saying anything.  Guess I'll be cleaning the back porch and patio by myself today...  :) 

• 1 month later...

And there is nothing better for outdoor cooking than something special like artisan bread, with unique smells and healthy, tasty additives. I truly love to order German bread from Edelweiss store, because it's maybe the only store in Fort Lauderdale, that can offer tasty european bread with all the options about it. You should try their goods, I'm telling you.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Christmas is over...

This year Thanksgiving fell through.  Okay, not really, we cooked two turkeys and a couple of hams, along with a number of casseroles and other sides, but I wasn't able to fry the turkeys so I decided to cook everything indoors.

Christmas was another matter, we decided to do something different: twenty pounds of chicken wings on the grill, ten pounds of shrimp boiled outside, while inside we had two crockpots of chili (about 11 pounds of beef total, one pot with six habaneros and some jalapenos) and a big caldero of homemade chicken and sausage gumbo.  My sister sauteed some scallops and everyone went home happy with some leftovers.

I'll admit, though, I did most of the cooking but barely ate while everyone was here.  After the guests left and the family went to bed I made a nice ham and cheese omelet along with some scrapple for myself while cleaning up.  All together, not a bad way to spend Christmas.

• 4 weeks later...

Also, gas, charcoal/wood, or pellet?  There are a lot of options out there.  I have no experience with pellet grills, but my experiences with gas and charcoal are as follows:

Gas (propane): large multi-burner grills are probably the best outdoor equivalent to an indoor stove/oven.  You can adjust the heat rather easily and most have one or two side burners for pots or pans.  I've grilled a few pizzas on the three-burner Kenmore that's still sitting at my house in Louisiana, and last I checked my two-burner grill was still at a friend's house outside of Savannah, GA.  Those are great and can be used for mild smoking if you know what you're doing.  Small tabletop grills work, but lack refinement.  These are portable and designed for camping or tailgating, but can be used to cook for a family for cheap.  I picked one up from the Char-Broil Outlet in Columbus, GA for $29 (still had the Kohl's $79 sticker on it) in 2016.  I started using it about three years ago and it's in rough shape since it sits outside but still cooks burgers, brats, steaks, and (with careful monitoring) larger cuts of meat well.  The grill is small, but when I cook burgers or brats I usually cook 20-30 given the size of my household (planning for lunch the following day), fitting about eight 1/4 pound burgers at a time.

Charcoal/wood: my preferred cooking method.  Charcoal is quick and convenient, especially for burgers and such, but when possible I use wood chunks or chips to add a little flavoring.  My neighbor used to give me mesquite he'd bring home from Texas, which really got me into using wood instead of processed charcoal, but for another year or so I have to rely on what I buy.  Also, charcoal grills are a lot less expensive and prone to needing repair or maintenance.  A large grill can be easily be used for smoking without the gimmicky (in my opinion, I've never had success using them) smoker box on the side.  For example, the Char-Broil Judge grill I picked up for $79 in 2007 smoked who hundreds of pounds of pork, beef, and chicken from 2007-2016, and it may still be at the above mentioned friend's house near Savannah.  Smaller grills are great for camping or tailgating but achieving indirect heat for smoking is almost impossible.  

You get what you pay for, though, you can take some precautions.  I seasoned the Judge as soon as I assembled it (spray down the entire grill with vegetable oil and light a hot fire in it), and I maintained it using this same method over the years, especially after I made the mistake of pressure washing off some green mildew that had formed when I left it in storage for a few months.  It held up rather well, but I did have to replace the charcoal pan when it rusted out.  I've bought two grills in the past four years, both of which are rusted out but still useable.  I also bought a charcoal smoker which works decently but doesn't see a lot of use.  Those are all designated for the scrap heap in a few months.

Long story short: determine what kind of grill you want (there are gas/charcoal combos), determine your budget, and check online reviews before buying.  Or just get a 55-gallon drum and build your own... 

• Like 2

Thanks you for such a cool answer!! I decided to start my own business, we will cook pizza. I was searching for good equipment and I found interesting outdoor pizza ovens from https://www.fontanaforniusa.com/collections/outdoor-pizza-ovens these models are handcrafted in Italy, so I think this can be really good variant. What do you think about this?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Well, I'm moved back down South, having left my smoker and portable gas grill in VA, along with three of my propane tanks.  I hauled the charcoal grills and fryer burners to the dump a few months ago.  What can I say, the 26' Uhaul truck was beyond packed, so I decided to start over with my grills and burners.  

I bought another Walkabout grill last week and plan to hit up Academy for another turkey fryer setup before Thanksgiving.  At the moment we're still settling in, but the outdoor cooking should begin again in earnest by October.  Oh, and one thing I haven't done is boiled peanuts.  My neighbor did some a couple of day ago and brought a bag over.  Pretty good, and simple enough to make.  First up, though, is a full brisket on the Walkabout.  That should be a decent challenge given the small cooking area and no smoker box.

My parties are on a hiatus for now, for better or worse, but my neighbor throws even better ones.  The events I've shared were always immediate family-minus some black sheep- and close friends, who are all over 1000 miles from here now.  My neighbor, on the other hand, is a California transplant who's lived here for over 25 years now and married to someone with very deep roots in the area.  His typical party includes wild game, boiled crawfish or fried fresh caught fish, and usually has 40+ attendees.  Plus, he has a pool and outdoor kitchen with TV.  

Of course, if you ever find yourself in the Baton Rouge area, hit me up.  I'm always down to do some cooking, just have to get settled in and rebuild my cooking options.  Fortunately, there's a very strong outdoor cooking culture down here, with nearly every supermarket offering boiling, frying, and jambalaya pots and burners alongside various grills.  My local store even has $600+ grills at the entrance, not something you see in a Virginia Food Lion or even a Publix.

• 10 months later...

When I first moved back South nearly a year ago, I left my rusted out charcoal grills and smoker as well as my portable gas grill.  Fortunately, my job came through, and while I initially had only a Walkabout charcoal grill and a fish fryer setup purchased shortly after the move, a few months ago my outdoor cooking game was enhanced with a 24" Blackstone griddle, found on clearance for $150 minus employee discount.  Shortly, I'll be the owner of a 24" pellet grill I've had in my cart for a few months.  I noticed the price dropped from $500 to $250, so with the discount I'm looking at under $200 with a few bags of pellets and some accessories.

As the year goes on, I'll update this thread with some more cooking adventures.  So far, I've been slacking, having only fried some alligator and fish, and cooked breakfast, cheesesteaks, and more mundane foods on the griddle.

You have to start a new thread for your cooking.  Just knowing and hearing what you have cooked over the years at your cookouts, sounds amazing, and would like to learn those technics and recipes.

I have a Blackstone griddle and just got a Weber griddle.  I know a lot of people swear by the Blackstone, but I love my Weber griddle.  For the price you paid, that's awesome.  My Blackstone had a warped cast iron top and they told me it was normal and would lay flat after about 7 cooking time.  Never did for me.

I can't wait to see what you smoke either.  I have a pellet grill and just got an Oklahoma Joe.  Trying to get into smoking more meats, nothing like it.  The Oklahoma is amazing but it's one of those grills you have to work and check on, so you need to be around for the day as you cook.  With the pellet grill, it's nice because you can set and forget.  Nice if you are out for the day and then you can come home and the food is ready.

• Like 1

I paid $160 out the door for the Cabela's 24" pellet grill and five bags of pellets (Competition, Apple, Cherry, Hickory, and Bourbon BBQ...I overlloked Mesquite, so I'll pick up a bag today).  We have newer models that start around $600 now, so at $125 it was a no-brainer, and I need to check our systems for other clearance deals.  We get a 50% discount on store brands that applies to clearance items, but not to sale prices, so the $250 smoker was $125, while the original $500 price tag would have been $250, even though the smoker had been on sale for $400.  

I'll be sure to start a new thread in the near future.  I'll be smoking a brisket and maybe some chicken next weekend, and we have a big rock festival coming up, so I'll be breaking in my camp stove then.  I found a couple of 56" ceiling fans on clearance at Home Depot yesterday, so the wife and kids are tasked with cleaning the back patio so I can hang those and start setting up my makeshift outdoor kitchen.  I'm thinking about getting one of the fish cleaning tables with faucet to have a rudimentary outdoor sink until I plumb in something more permanent.

Yes, that is a killer deal.  I would take that all day long.  Good luck with the ceiling fans.  I have one I need to hang but can't get the motivation to hang it.  I don't know why, I always struggle with them and trying to figure out the directions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric - TIA said:

Yes, that is a killer deal.  I would take that all day long.  Good luck with the ceiling fans.  I have one I need to hang but can't get the motivation to hang it.  I don't know why, I always struggle with them and trying to figure out the directions.

I've found the key thing is to not jump the gun.  I've started assembling them on the floor in the past, only to realize that the installation is essentially modular for a reason.  Hang the fan portion, then the light (if included), and finally the blades, or however the instructions indicate.  I've probably hung about 20, so not a whole lot, but my key frustration is getting everything up and assembled, only to realize a connection's wrong or I overlooked something.  Also, I hate working overhead, even on one of my work platforms or platform ladders.  

• 2 months later...

I finally started using the pellet smoker, and have to admit, it's all but dummy proof and makes me wish I'd have gotten one sooner.  I did a couple of racks of ribs last Thursday, followed by a 20-pound brisket on Friday.  Both turned out excellent.  Monday was Italian sausage and roasted peppers.  

The grill assembled a lot easier than I thought it would.  The last few grills I assembled came in flat boxes requiring every panel to be bolted together.  This one was mostly assembled, just requiring the legs and interior parts to be assembled.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's Blackstone night...

After a few months of neglect, I've cleaned and reseasoned the griddle, and tonight only the finest Great Value brand bacon and sausage will taint its surface, along with eggs, pancakes, and who knows what else.

With my freshly cleaned back patio area, coupled with cooler weather down this way, the fall cooking season is about to begin in earnest.  Hard to believe it's already nearly time to look at peanut oil and turkey fryers (again).  I think that this year I'll repeat my 2014 trailer park cooking adventure for Thanksgiving, where the entire meal was cooked outside.  Thinking fried turkey, ham, green bean casserole, corn pudding, pies, and a bunch of other stuff.  Time to check the status of my injectable marinades when I get home!