More Outdoor Cooking (w/Tools)

fm2176

Sweet, sounds like a good feast.  I am sure I asked this about your Blackstone but forgot.  Does your top lay flat?  When i got mine, it was warped.  I called them and said it was common, which seemed weird.  They said that after 7 times of using it, it will lay flat.  While they were right, there are times when the bend will come back which is annoying when trying to cook.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite not having time to brine them, I smoked/roasted a couple of whole chickens on the pellet grill last night.  A little cheap beer to keep them moist, half a stick of butter on each, and one got the Chicka Licka Bam Bam while the other got Onion Butter seasoning, both from Fire and Smoke Society.  Speaking of that company, I've got their Potato Slayer seasoning too.  I'm definitely a fan of their products, though I've used to primarily use Old Bay, Tony Chachere's, or Slap Ya Mama.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric - TIA said:

I am going to try and smoke a turkey.  Do you have any recipes or any tips and tricks?

I had some smoked turkey last year. My cousin-in-law got into smoking meats a number of years ago and has actually made a few diy smokers. The turkey he smoked was the juiciest turkey meat I have ever had but also the skin was the toughest i have ever had. He also made some chicken wings and they had garlic and I don't know what else but they were good as well. Maybe turkey seasoned with garlic would be good.

• Like 1

LOL, well today is the day.  Going to try and smoke it today with a slow cook and then turn the heat up for the last 3 hours.  I have seen some people cover the turkey in the last part and some say do not.  I am trying it where I do not cover the Turkey for the last part of cooking.  I am afraid it will be dry but let's see.

All this turkey talk has me thinking about our upcoming holiday.  I have the Big Easy oilless turkey fryer...in storage hundreds of miles away.  So, given my employee discount, it's a no-brainer to buy another turkey fryer this year and fry one or three.  I may try my hand at smoking one and frying another.  Six or more mouths to feed, plus three dogs and a cat, and 30 pounds of turkey will disappear quick.  

I've found that any slow and low method just requires steady basting and such.  Injectable marinades help out a lot, and it's a trick to keep steady heat when you're opening the grill every 30-60 minutes, but the end result is usually pretty good.  The chickens I smoked/roasted were flipped over for about 15 minutes halfway through to soak up some of the butter and drippings.  

Sounds good.  Never fried a turkey but everyone I talk to says it's a must.  I smoked a Turkey the other day.  I ended up getting busy so never basted it or covered it.  Cooked it at 225 for a couple of hours and then 300 for a couple of hours.  In the end it was surprisingly juicy and tasted great.  Only could imagine if I did it the right way with basting.

• Like 1

Frying is fast (about 3.5 minutes a pound at 350 degrees) and with injectable marinades and a good coating of Tony Chachere's it's all but foolproof.  I'll try my hand at smoking one alongside a fried turkey here in a week or two.  Should be good.  Might have to pick up a store-brand meat slicer with my 50% discount while I'm at it for post-Thanksgiving lunches.

• Like 1