What Are Your "Go-To" Power Tools?

fm2176

The title says it all.  Of course, we can't have one jack-of-all trades tool that does everything we need.  Granted, a little ingenuity and the proper accessories can turn a drill into an improvised (and highly imprecise) saw, but I'd venture to guess that most of us have at least three cordless tools that each serve a distinct purpose: drill driver, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.  The impact driver has become increasingly popular over the past couple of decades as well, and a cordless light is a nice addition.  For the sake of discussion, let's focus on those five basic tools, which are often sold in tool combos.  If you regularly use another type of tool (i.e. SDS-Plus rotary hammer or jig saw) please share it.  Also, this thread isn't solely about cordless tools.  If that old Sawzall has been a constant companion for decades, I'd like to hear about it.  Anyway, my go-to tools are below:

Drill: it's hard to pick one, but probably the M18 compact brushless.  I have two, one nearly new and the other seeing heavy use at the flipper house.  Previously, I'd probably have chosen the DCD796.  The larger hammer drills I have from DeWalt, Milwaukee, Ridgid, Bosch, and MetaboHPT usually stay in the tool box (and will soon be wall hangers).

Impact Driver: the Triple Hammer is probably my current go-to.  I like the size of the 12v drivers and the power of the M18 Fuel, and the Ridgid Stealth is nice to use on occasion, but the Triple Hammer ends up in my hands much more often. 

Circular Saw: the M18 Fuel wins hands down.  I have the Ridgid Gen5X (from the black limited edition set), FlexVolt worm-drive style, MetaboHPT MultiVolt, and M12 Fuel saws as well.  The Ridgid is handy but tends to bog down; the FlexVolt has seen very little use due to its size and weight, though it is a beast when you need the power; the MultiVolt seems powerful but just hasn't gotten a lot of use, and the M12 Fuel is probably a close second to it's M18 cousin.  The M12 Fuel saw is nice and compact and has plenty of power for most projects.  

Reciprocating Saw: this is a tie between the M18 Fuel and the Ridgid X4.  My One Key Sawzall sees a lot of use, but the X4 is nice to use due to its orbital action.  I've used the Octane a few times, but the X4 is smaller and lighter.  For a compact reciprocating saw, the M12 Fuel Hackzall is great, though I'm sure the similar DeWalt 12v Max Xtreme saw will be strong competition once I actually use it.

Light: this is not so much a tie as it is just different go-to lights for different uses.  The M12 Rocket is a great tripod light and sees much more use than the M18 versions.  I've used mine for both their intended purpose and to crawl under houses, keeping my hands out of the dirt.  The DeWalt spotlight is great in rural areas, and I used it a lot out in the Georgia woods.  When I'm under a car, I find myself using the M18 Rover flood light, while the DCL040 is the only standard work light I use (I have the Ridgid and maybe a couple others but never think of them).

Extra Pick: DeWalt 20v Max drywall screwgun and cutout tool.  I don't use them on a daily basis, but when a drywall project pops up these are time savers to say the least.  I have three of the screwguns and two of the collated attachments.  It takes a little bit of practice, and even then I'll sometimes underdrive a screw, but the collated attachments make hanging drywall an extremely quick process.  The cutout tool is perfect for electrical boxes and for trimming when needed.  

So, those are my go-to tools.  As you can tell, brand loyalty is all but non-existent for my projects, and there are some I didn't mention that are nearly go-to tools themselves, such as the Bosch Freak impact driver.  I probably have at least one of each type of tool that isn't trade specific (electrical or PEX crimpers and such), and have recently started curtailing my tool purchases, so some of my go-to tools are the only ones I have, such as the different DeWalt and Ryobi nailers, the M12 stapler, or the Ryobi glue gun.  Do you have a tool you tend to grab more often than others?  If you have only one brand, what is it, and why did you decide upon it?  

Great post.  This is always such a hard thing to figure out for me.  Because I am always so back and forth.  Today I like this tool, but tomorrow I can be a fan of another one.  

Drill & Impact are Dewalt for me.  Just like the size, the grip and balance for me.

Recip and Circular saw are Milwaukee all the way.

Light - Milwaukee.  Love the M12 Rocket Light.

Rotary hammer is Bosch bulldog.

However I am excited for the Hilti line up and I am excited to give those a test run.

23 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

Great post.  This is always such a hard thing to figure out for me.  Because I am always so back and forth.  Today I like this tool, but tomorrow I can be a fan of another one.  

Drill & Impact are Dewalt for me.  Just like the size, the grip and balance for me.

Recip and Circular saw are Milwaukee all the way.

Light - Milwaukee.  Love the M12 Rocket Light.

Rotary hammer is Bosch bulldog.

However I am excited for the Hilti line up and I am excited to give those a test run.

True, for me sometimes it's a simple matter of what I can find.  Tool organization is all but nonexistent at this time; I'm hoping to organize once I move back to my own house.  DeWalt seems to have designed their grip almost perfectly, to the extent where most of their tools share the same basic grip design.  

The M12 Rocket really is great.  I dragged my M18 Rocket out the other night and was reminded of how heavy it is.  The M12, on the other hand, can easily be used as a giant flashlight, like I use it when crawling under the house.  I had to repair some ductwork last year, so I used one of my M12 Rockets as a brace to hold it in place while the other lit up the work area.

I don't have a Bosch rotary hammer (yet?).  If I find a good deal I may add one to the collection, though.  I have the 18v bandsaw, picked up for about $70 with a free battery starter kit, to complement the much smaller M12 version.  Right now, my go-to rotary hammer is the only cordless one I own, the M18 Fuel D-Handle.  I bought a corded DeWalt 1" SDS-Plus rotary hammer from an acquaintance a year or so ago for $30 but have yet to use it as it doesn't offer anything over the Milwaukee.

Currently none of the brands offer a full solution I think, and I think I will come to a conclusion at the end of 2024 so I can replan everything from zero. Either they don't have all tools as cordless, or they don't have a proper storage solution. DeWALT Toughsystem boxes are good, durable and well designed, but they don't offer specific insert foam or plastic molded inlays for all their tools as Makita does. Makita Macpac boxes are similar to Festool/Tanos ones, quality plastic compared to DeWALT Thoughsystem but thin walls and I have seen they can break more compared to Toughsystem from DeWALT. So each brand has something missing, I want to buy quality tools all in one battery platform and with a proper storage solution. Is there anything like that in the market currently?!!! Of course not :)))

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy posts like this. The variety of other people’s posts is very interesting and occasionally thought provoking.

Drill/Driver: I bought a 2-piece Bosch 18V combo set that had a driver and a hammer drill. It came with 2 batteries which, to me, is a huge bonus. I got it reconditioned from CPO Outlets for a very reasonable price. I have used (and used and used) and abused them. It must be 7 or 8 years old now and it’s still going strong has a fair bit of runout now due to the beating it’s taken in hammer drill mode drilling into masonry. I am 100% sold on Bosch cordless tools. When this set craps out (I can’t believe the batteries have lasted this long), I’ll most likely replace them with the 12V versions for their lightness and compact design. Any time they’re not powerful enough, I’ve got a Hitachi corded drill that’s a real beast. (When I need it for free hand work, though, I have to pull it out of my DIY drill press - which also converts to a lathe as well as a drum sander.)

Multitool (oscillating): This is probably my 2nd most used tool when I’m doing things around the house. (I don’t use it that much in the shop unless it’s as a detail sander. I have a special attachment for that.) It’s my go-to tool for cutting off nails or screws when I need to. Also use it on drywall, pipes (plumbing) and romex. I wasn’t sure how much I’d use it so I cheaped out and got a corded one at Harbor Freight for less than $20. That one is on its last legs; now that I know how much I use it, I’ll replace it with a cordless model. Almost certainly a Bosch since I don't want to invest in a different battery system.

Circular Saw: I have a Makita Hypoid saw that is just fantastic. Total workhorse with very smooth operation. I’ve been thinking about buying a T-slot router bit for making some DIY track to turn it into a track saw, but my simple plywood/Masonite jigs clamp on quickly and easily and have served me very well, so I’ll probably just keep thinking about it. 

Miter Saw: As much as my Bosch cordless drill/driver set has lasted so long and been such a bargain, my Hitachi miter saw is even more of a bargain. A couple years ago, I detached the motor from the base (at the pivot point) and used it to make a DIY table saw. Most of the things that I used to use it for I can do on the table saw with a crosscut sled I built. For workpieces that are too long for that (a fairly rare occurrence), I’m pretty proficient/accurate with my Japanese pull saws.

Routers: I have the tried and true Bosch 1617 2.25HP router mounted in my router table. I bought the set that included the plunge base as well as the fixed base. I’ve used the plunge base maybe twice; I can plunge cut pretty well on the router table. For above-the-table work, I have the Bosch Colt 1HP palm router. I bought it as soon as I realized how much I don’t like pulling the big guy out of the router table. With a few DIY jigs, this little palm router is a joy to use. When plunge cutting on the router isn’t practical, I drill a hole in the workpiece then put the bit in the hole and go from there.

Belt Sander: My other sanders (and my handheld planer) are some of my least used tools. I prefer using hand planes unless it’s a really huge area. But I use the belt sander - mounted into a jig - quite a bit for just removing stock8. I went cheap on this, too. I bought an old Craftsman at a yard sale and it’s still going after many years. When I first bought it, I disassembled it, cleaned out all the sawdust and gunk, relubed it, and reassembled. I keep telling myself it’s past time to do that again.

Jigsaw: I have an old Bosch barrel grip jigsaw that’s a little anemic. I’m kinda itching to replace it with a cordless one and get a new, powerful one for a jigsaw table. One thing you can say about jigsaws - when you need one, there’s not much else that will do.

Bench Grinder: I almost overlooked this one. It only gets used for quick little tasks here and there - but it’s surprising how often that sort of thing comes up. This was a flea market purchase and there’s no make/model listed anywhere so I m guessing the little plate that had that info must have fallen off or been removed.

Other than that, I also have a recip saw (Milwaukee) and an SDS drill (Porter Cable) but I haven’t used either of them for years..

• 3 weeks later...

Well I’m just a hobbyist woodworker, but I started off with Porter Cable before SBD eventually killed them off. Since Lowes is my go to store, I switched to Craftsman, because the free 4ah battery kits made it easy to build a collection. And most tools are clones of other brands. I find the Brushless stuff is from DeWalt and the Brushed items Porter Cable.

Craftsman

Impact Driver - CMCF820 - a DeWalt 998  clone.

Hammer Drill - CMCD721 - a DeWalt 796 clone.

SDS Rotary Hammer - CMCH233 - a DeWalt DCH133 clone.

1/2in. Impact Wrench - CMCF920 - a DeWalt DCF894 clone.

Angle Grinder - CMCG450 - a DeWalt DCG413 clone.

Osc. Multi Tool - CMCE500 - a Porter Cable PCC710 clone. (Brushed Motor)

Recip. Saw - CMCS300 - a Porter Cable PCC670 clone. (Brushed Motor).

Chain Saw - CMCCS610 - Not sure who OEM’s this.

Table Saw - CMXETAX69434502

Orbital Sander - CMEW231 - DeWalt clone.

SKIL

Router - RT1322-00

Kobalt

Sliding Miter Saw - SM2517LW

Circular Saw - K15CS-06AC

Festool

Track Saw - TS55

Dremel

Rotary Tool - 9000 - with plunge base and flex shaft.

Porter Cable's descent to tool purgatory is unfortunate, but should have been expected in hindsight.  I mention them often, as they were the first Li-Ion tools I owned, but the PC 18v system was a great introduction to modern tools.  The fact that I bought into it in 2012 and gradually amassed most of the 18v tools and even the 12v drill and driver is what turned me off from the brand, though.  Most cordless brands were switching platforms in the early 2010s, as the Ni-Cad/Li-Ion compatible interim systems (DeWalt or PC 18v, Kobalt 18v/20v) were largely replaced by Li-Ion only systems (I think that Ryobi and perhaps Ridgid are the only two that retain backwards compatibility, though both brands have long discontinued producing Ni-Cad batteries).  At the time I didn't understand why my 18v tools weren't just upgraded with brushless motors and newer batteries, so I vowed to never buy into PC 20v Max.

A lot of the corded woodworking tools PC was known for were rebranded to satisfy DeWalt fans, and when SBD acquired Craftsman the writing was more or less in the wall for the PC 20v Max system.  From the awkward Lego-esque design cues to the dull grey color, they just don't stand out like DeWalt Yellow or Craftsman Red.  Couple that with the lack of promotion and new tools and it's easy to see how they fell to the bottom of the SBD cordless brand heap.  I think even Black + Decker 20v tools are more popular now.

On 3/25/2022 at 5:41 AM, fm2176 said:

Porter Cable's descent to tool purgatory is unfortunate, but should have been expected in hindsight.  I mention them often, as they were the first Li-Ion tools I owned, but the PC 18v system was a great introduction to modern tools.  The fact that I bought into it in 2012 and gradually amassed most of the 18v tools and even the 12v drill and driver is what turned me off from the brand, though.  Most cordless brands were switching platforms in the early 2010s, as the Ni-Cad/Li-Ion compatible interim systems (DeWalt or PC 18v, Kobalt 18v/20v) were largely replaced by Li-Ion only systems (I think that Ryobi and perhaps Ridgid are the only two that retain backwards compatibility, though both brands have long discontinued producing Ni-Cad batteries).  At the time I didn't understand why my 18v tools weren't just upgraded with brushless motors and newer batteries, so I vowed to never buy into PC 20v Max.

A lot of the corded woodworking tools PC was known for were rebranded to satisfy DeWalt fans, and when SBD acquired Craftsman the writing was more or less in the wall for the PC 20v Max system.  From the awkward Lego-esque design cues to the dull grey color, they just don't stand out like DeWalt Yellow or Craftsman Red.  Couple that with the lack of promotion and new tools and it's easy to see how they fell to the bottom of the SBD cordless brand heap.  I think even Black + Decker 20v tools are more popular now.

PC was also my first foray into cordless tools. At the time, it was before the Craftsman purchase, and PC was considered the mid tier brand at Lowes since Kobalt and SKIL weren’t around either.

6 hours ago, fyrfytr998 said:

PC was also my first foray into cordless tools. At the time, it was before the Craftsman purchase, and PC was considered the mid tier brand at Lowes since Kobalt and SKIL weren’t around either.

Kobalt must have released their 18v system shortly afterward then, as I distinctly remember their changeover from 18v to 20v Max around 2014.  IIRC, 18v was a legacy Ni-Cad system with some newer Li-Ion technology, while 20v Max maintained compatibility with those while offering newer tech.  Basically, the 1.5Ah and 3.0Ah 18v batteries were upgraded to 2Ah and 4Ah 20v Max.  I had a 20v Max impact wrench I gave away when I got my Milwaukee.  Kobalt 24v Max tools were released only a couple of years after the 20v ones, though, similar to how PC did their 20v Max to replace 18v. 

• Like 1