Are my expectations unreasonable, regard battery life?

jdege

Just checked on my Ryobi lawn mower, today, in prep for the season, and the battery was dead. Again.

So now I'm on my third 40V Ryobi battery.

I'm not sure whether the batteries are flawed or the charger is simply stupid. Or maybe it's planned obsolescence.

I'm not aware of any lithium chemistry that isn't good for hundreds of charge cycles. But I only mow a couple of dozen times a year, and I'm seeing them fail after two or three years.

I mow, I put the battery in the charger, and then pull it out again when I mow the next time. But after a couple of years of this the battery is dead and won't take a charge.

It's the charger too stupid to stop charging when the battery is full? Does it lack temperature sensors and not shut off when it's too cold or too warm?

Either way, that is annoying.  I do the same with all my tools.  I put it on the charger ands leave it.  I know people say your not suppose to do that but I do since there is two schools of thought.  Some say it's ok and others say it's not.  I have never had the issue you have had with Ryobi, hopefully they know of this issue and they fix it.

• Like 1

You can kill a Li-Ion battery by overcharging, or by charging at low temps.

Which is why quality battery chargers have protective circuits to prevent that.

I'd have expected Ryobi's chargers to have such.

Do they not?

Ryobi should have the overcharge protection.  I keep my One+ batteries on the quick charger all the time, and haven't had any issues.  I do the same for every other brand of cordless tools/batteries I own.  The only suspect battery now (well, for the past few years) is one of my EGO 5.0Ah.  I haven't bothered identifying which, but one of the two I own seems to have significantly less run time than the other.  Maybe I need to cut the grass more often...

Some brands give 1 year warranty for their batteries, some two and some three years, the whole tool market is set in a way to get a certain amount of work for the money you pay :) So if you regularly use a specific tool better to go for a higher grade brand as you will save time from going to a tool shop regularly and also dealing with the faults and other things. But if you want the tool for DIY purposes you can go for lower grade brands.